Dana Point Rock Sculptures

XiphiasXiphias Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited January 27, 2009 in Landscapes
Went down to Dana Point to take some sunset pics and found these unique rock sculptures. Someone said a guy goes around and makes these scupltures at the local beaches. They said he will spend hours collecting rocks for his sculptures.

Any suggestions on composition appreciated. Experimented with exposures and creative settings in lightroom to try to achieve some unique effects. Thanks for looking.

462671700_UNSdi-M-1.jpg

462670742_b5NrL-M-1.jpg

462670462_oxTtj-M-1.jpg

462670453_zNfgn-M-1.jpg

Gallery: http://xiphias.smugmug.com/gallery/7203164_EV8aP/1/462670436_PAH8E

Thanks again!
Tony

Comments

• koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    I enjoy these very much...sorry I can't really offer any tech advice cause I am crap at it...lmao. Reminds of
    "inukshuks" you see in the Northwest Territories of Canada. or even a miniature Easter Island.

great workthumb.gif

tim
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Looks like you had great colors and a wonderful foreground element to work with! My suggestion would be to try to get in closer and put the sculpture in the right or left 1/3rd of the frame. Play with the horizon - have the sculptures silhouetted by sky only then maybe bisecting the horizon as well and see what gives you a stronger composition. you may want to try just a hint of fill flash too as it will allow you to see some detail in the rocks without having to overexpose the sky.
    Hope that helps,
    E
  • XiphiasXiphias Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Looks like you had great colors and a wonderful foreground element to work with! My suggestion would be to try to get in closer and put the sculpture in the right or left 1/3rd of the frame. Play with the horizon - have the sculptures silhouetted by sky only then maybe bisecting the horizon as well and see what gives you a stronger composition. you may want to try just a hint of fill flash too as it will allow you to see some detail in the rocks without having to overexpose the sky.
    Hope that helps,
    E

Thank you for the great suggestions. Hopefully I'll get more opportunities soon. Tony
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    i like #2 because you can see the foreground and it's not just a silhouette but I think the horizon is in a strange place. I prefer the composition of #3.
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Nice colors and composition.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata