Portrait Session.

DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited January 28, 2009 in People
Here are 2 from a recent session in the studio

3230356356_f14965b4fc_b.jpg

3229507107_e3b51d8e25_b.jpg

C&C welcome.
7D/40D/XTi/G10/EOS630/50MM 1.8/430/580x2/18-55/28-135/PWx2/Sekonic LM/Tam. 70-200 2.8
Model Site/Portrait Site/Flcikr/MM

Adam

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 27, 2009
    First off, I am not a professional. I do know what works for me and what doesn't.

#1. For me the yellow BG doesn't work for me. It's a bit distracting. Also I'm not sure I like the bottom crop. The large shadow across the right side of her face is a bit distracting also. Perhaps some fill light is needed.

#2 Love the pose and the crop. BG is good. Shadows on the left side of her face, on her right shoulder and a huge triangle shadow around her foot are a distracting. Again some fill light might help.
  • DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Thanks, the first shot is a 3/4 shot.

both were done with a single light source to camera left with a shoot thru umbrella and the light in the back to either blow the BG out or add the yellow light. I maybe should have moved the light a little more closerot me to avoid less sahdow, but she was extremely happy with them...but thanks for the C&C..always walk away with new found knowledge
    7D/40D/XTi/G10/EOS630/50MM 1.8/430/580x2/18-55/28-135/PWx2/Sekonic LM/Tam. 70-200 2.8

Adam
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Thanks, the first shot is a 3/4 shot.

both were done with a single light source to camera left with a shoot thru umbrella and the light in the back to either blow the BG out or add the yellow light. I maybe should have moved the light a little more closerot me to avoid less sahdow, but she was extremely happy with them...but thanks for the C&C..always walk away with new found knowledge

The shadows in the 2nd one don't bother me particularly (except possibly the one from the strand of hair over her left eye, which could be easily cloned out), but in the first one I feel like we're missing half of her face. If that shadow continued down onto her neck it would possibly work, but as it is there's a bright spot on her neck, with the shadowed face above. Perhaps a reflector in there to soften and equalize the light a little? headscratch.gif Of course, I'm still a n00b at this myself so take my comments fwiw (or not worth, as the case might be!)
  • DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The shadows in the 2nd one don't bother me particularly (except possibly the one from the strand of hair over her left eye, which could be easily cloned out), but in the first one I feel like we're missing half of her face. If that shadow continued down onto her neck it would possibly work, but as it is there's a bright spot on her neck, with the shadowed face above. Perhaps a reflector in there to soften and equalize the light a little? headscratch.gif Of course, I'm still a n00b at this myself so take my comments fwiw (or not worth, as the case might be!)

No problem, i take all comments and learn from then. I just don't like refletors in the studio....I prefer to operate with as mimimal gear as possible....but when needed I break out the lights to have fun and experiment with new settings.

Adam