Coffee experiments etc

frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited January 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hi,

yesterday night I was looking for something to shoot or whatever that can makes me continue to improve my photography skills.

After a lot of coffee I just decided that this french press that is always close to my hand could finally be a good subject. I am not a still life photographer in general and I did not really worked the lighting.

I just took a cork board to give a background and went for 6 shots merged after in HDR to experiment on how I can exploit this technique.

462614372_rmdiC-XL.jpg
Photo Information

I personally like the somehow retro look I got from this but as usual your comments and critiques are welcome

Comments

• Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Yes! French Press all the way, it's pretty much the only way to drink coffee. I like the shot a lot, but one thing that doesn't do it for me is the angle that it was taken out, especially with the DOF. If you were shooting from a birds eye or worms eye view I think it would make it a tad more interesting. Especially if you focused on the grounds at the bottom looking up. Otherwise, good job thumb.gif
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    Yes! French Press all the way, it's pretty much the only way to drink coffee. I like the shot a lot, but one thing that doesn't do it for me is the angle that it was taken out, especially with the DOF. If you were shooting from a birds eye or worms eye view I think it would make it a tad more interesting. Especially if you focused on the grounds at the bottom looking up. Otherwise, good job thumb.gif

You have to try a Cona too (details here but unluckily they do not sell the original anymore). And yes I am kind of crazy on coffee makers design rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the feedback. It appears indeed that this picture does not click I did that in a very quick setting (just taking the tripod, switching some lights on and off in my kitchen and go for the multiple exposures) as the first objective was more to experiment on the use of HDR to emphasize the chrome. I kind of like the OoF at the bottom but I have this feedback with a bad fit between the angle and the DoF which I interpret by a very bad angle selection.

Well as I like the idea and color ambiance of this shot I guess I will need to give some more thought to it and redo it. I'll try the birds eye view as its closer to what I envisioned at first glance. Probably some compo would benefit too but for sure the fact that I am more playing with my camera in the street trying to capture things as I see them did not prepare me for still life/studio photgrpahy eek7.gif