I need some tips on shooting Mixed Martial Arts indoors.

smugtugsmugtug Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 30, 2009 in Sports
This is Justin,
I will be shooting Mixed Martial Arts in February and I was wondering if anyone had some tips for me? I am shooting with a canon 5D and I will be using a 70-200 2.8L and a 24-70 2.8L series Lens. I am just wondering if I would use a filter to get the color right, and just tips to get good pictures as I shoot for this Martial Arts school.
If you have anything that would help, let me know
Thanks

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    What type of venue is it? A gym, Caesar's palace, what?
    Is it cage or just matt?
    What access will you have (can you get right to the matt/cage? Will you be allowed to shoot OVER the cage - often something they only allow video to do).

These will allow us to give you better answers.
  • mmcateemmcatee Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    My thoughts
    I shot a large 10 mat youth karate tourny back in Dec. We could not use strobes so we all had to shoot with flashes.
    I used the Sb800 and the Nikon battery pack, you will go through batteries liek crazy, so bring plenty. If you have a quantom turbo or such this is perfect. An off camera flash bracket helps reduce red eye. IF the lighting is good enough and you can shoot all ambient I woudl give that a try but the cycling of the lights might get to you. Good luck
  • smugtugsmugtug Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2009
    johng wrote:
    What type of venue is it? A gym, Caesar's palace, what?
    Is it cage or just matt?
    What access will you have (can you get right to the matt/cage? Will you be allowed to shoot OVER the cage - often something they only allow video to do).

These will allow us to give you better answers.

The Event will take place in a hotel/resort. I do not know the exact specs of the event but I have an idea, I believe the fights will be fought in a boxing ring. I am not quite sure right yet what my perameters are for photographing this event but even the smallest tip would help. I will be getting a little more information soon.
    Thanks
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    smugtug wrote:
    The Event will take place in a hotel/resort. I do not know the exact specs of the event but I have an idea, I believe the fights will be fought in a boxing ring. I am not quite sure right yet what my perameters are for photographing this event but even the smallest tip would help. I will be getting a little more information soon.
    Thanks

Such details are critical. If it's a boxing ring the best position is right up on it so your camera gets between the ropes - this removes the ropes from the shot. With a 5D I would suggest most of the fight with the 70-200. You'll need the reach more than the WA the other lens will give you. Some WA stuff will be nice but I think the 70-200 will give you the most bang for the buck. Especially when they get down on the mat you'll want tight shots.

once you get away from the ring the ropes will be a HUGE hindrance to good photos - especially when they get on the mat.

If it does happen to be a cage it's similar to ropes in that you want your lens right up on the cage so you don't see it at all in he shots. By the time you get a foot away the cage starts showing up in the image.

My suggestion is - plan to shoot in RAW since you don't know what kind of a lighting setup they will be using.

If you've never shot fighting before you'll likely get most of your keepers from the ground work. You'll need good lighting to get takedowns without too much blur. It's the striking that will be the most problematic because the angles are often bad and there is a lot less - mostly because at least one of the competitors is usually a jiu-jitsu style ground fighter so one if not both are looking to get to the mat early.
    Get shots before and after as well.
    188197206_amfDL-L.jpg
    188198766_euVks-L.jpg
    187694827_PzZEH-L.jpg

188199336_hGLRp-L.jpg
    188201107_tXy2B-L.jpg
    188198084_fmwHU-L.jpg
    187695764_xiPq3-L-1.jpg
  • smugtugsmugtug Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 30, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Such details are critical. If it's a boxing ring the best position is right up on it so your camera gets between the ropes - this removes the ropes from the shot. With a 5D I would suggest most of the fight with the 70-200. You'll need the reach more than the WA the other lens will give you. Some WA stuff will be nice but I think the 70-200 will give you the most bang for the buck. Especially when they get down on the mat you'll want tight shots.

once you get away from the ring the ropes will be a HUGE hindrance to good photos - especially when they get on the mat.

If it does happen to be a cage it's similar to ropes in that you want your lens right up on the cage so you don't see it at all in he shots. By the time you get a foot away the cage starts showing up in the image.

My suggestion is - plan to shoot in RAW since you don't know what kind of a lighting setup they will be using.

If you've never shot fighting before you'll likely get most of your keepers from the ground work. You'll need good lighting to get takedowns without too much blur. It's the striking that will be the most problematic because the angles are often bad and there is a lot less - mostly because at least one of the competitors is usually a jiu-jitsu style ground fighter so one if not both are looking to get to the mat early.
    Get shots before and after as well.
    188197206_amfDL-L.jpg
    188198766_euVks-L.jpg
    187694827_PzZEH-L.jpg

188199336_hGLRp-L.jpg
    188201107_tXy2B-L.jpg
    188198084_fmwHU-L.jpg
    187695764_xiPq3-L-1.jpg

I spoke with the fight coordinator and he has informed me that the fight would be fought in the cage and I will have a spot over the cage during the fight.
    Thanks