Nikon D700 DX vs FX?

flyinglphotoflyinglphoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited January 28, 2009 in Cameras
OK so I have picked out my new D700 and hear all these amazing things about the full frame and FX sensor.

BUT.... all the kits I keep finding are coming with DX lenses which are cropping and not utilizing the full frame.

Whats the deal?

I am ready to buy but I dont want another lens just to have one I want a lens that will work well with my D700.

am I wrong for buying a DX lens or should I hold out for an FX? and if you know of somewhere to get one please impart the info.

HELP!!
:thumb
~Lindee
flyinglphoto@hotmail.com
http://flyinglphoto.com

Lets all capture the moments that matter most.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 28, 2009
    I think it makes more sense to purchase FX lenses for the Nikon D700. It is nice that the D700 can accept the DX lenses, but you lose so much image in cropping that I'm not sure it is generally worth it.

I strongly suggest the Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G AF-S ED as a great standard zoom for the D700. Just because you can't find it in a "kit" doesn't make it bad, it just makes you a knowledgeable consumer. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    B&H has a one with the 24-120mm VR. A decent lens overall. I agree with Ziggy, buy the body and shop for better glass.
    Steve

Website
  • flyinglphotoflyinglphoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    good point and what I was thinking. I was hoping to get as much reach out of one lens as possible but the 24-70 was the only FX lens I am coming across. It seems to fit the bill pretty well.

I have heard mixed reviews on the VR 24-120 but it does have a good price point and good range. geez...if only my bank account had an endless supply.

I am looking at a local place or ordering through B&H. any other good gittin places?
    :thumb
    ~Lindee
    flyinglphoto@hotmail.com
    http://flyinglphoto.com

Lets all capture the moments that matter most.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    good point and what I was thinking. I was hoping to get as much reach out of one lens as possible but the 24-70 was the only FX lens I am coming across. It seems to fit the bill pretty well.

I have heard mixed reviews on the VR 24-120 but it does have a good price point and good range. geez...if only my bank account had an endless supply.

I am looking at a local place or ordering through B&H. any other good gittin places?

+1 for the 24-70 on the full frame..... Love it!!!!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    OK so I have picked out my new D700 and hear all these amazing things about the full frame and FX sensor.

BUT.... all the kits I keep finding are coming with DX lenses which are cropping and not utilizing the full frame.

Whats the deal?

I am ready to buy but I dont want another lens just to have one I want a lens that will work well with my D700.

am I wrong for buying a DX lens or should I hold out for an FX? and if you know of somewhere to get one please impart the info.

HELP!!

What seller is bundling the D700 with DX lenses? I think I'd stay well clear of whoever it is . . . The only D700 kit B&H offers includes the 24-120, which is a FX lens, if a marginal one. You can't go wrong with the 24-70 (or a used 28-70). If funds are more limited, look for a used 35-70 f/2.8, plus maybe a (new or used) 180 f/2.8 if you want some more reach.
    Tim
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    There are lots of inexpensive full frame lenses you can use with the D700.
    Or course you can spend a lot of money on lenses as well if you have it.
    But the body and then buy a lens, none of the kit lenses are that great.
    Definitely do not even consider using a dx lens with it.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    yeah, there's no legitimate kit selling a DX lens with a D700. The 24-120 is the standard kit lens. if you don't want to spend for the 24-70, consider the venerable 35-70 f/2.8. It's much smaller, has a great rep and can be had used in the four-hundreds. The results on the 24-120 seem very mixed. The 85mm f/1.4 is very very nice if you're into that sort of thing.
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    I have the 24-70 f/2.8 and it is my favorite lens. I will eventually by a full frame camera but on a D80, it is superb.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I think it makes more sense to purchase FX lenses for the Nikon D700. It is nice that the D700 can accept the DX lenses, but you lose so much image in cropping that I'm not sure it is generally worth it.

I strongly suggest the Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G AF-S ED as a great standard zoom for the D700. Just because you can't find it in a "kit" doesn't make it bad, it just makes you a knowledgeable consumer. clap.gif

I am in total agreement!!deal.gif

I just got the D300 and followed that with a D700 three months later.

I only have two FX lenses. They are old, they are heavy and they are superb too!

Today I did a DX test, just because I kept reading about it and the results: I didn't think much of( nicely) and not so nicley: it stunk!

KEH, down in Atlanta is a decent place to deal with!
    I bought my used 80-200 f2.8 nikkor from Adorama...another decent place to deal with.

EBay: uh...how bout a lottery ticket??mwink.gif

SO good luck...stick with the FX lenses and enjoy that vision and view!

cheers, tom
    tom wise