advice on extended coverage for Nikon 16-85 lens

rwmjrwmj Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited January 28, 2009 in Cameras
I am leaning toward ordering a Nikon 16-85 mm lens - before the prices go up as I understand they are scheduled for soon.
I was considering the Tamron 17-50 but am wary of all the comments I read about quality issues.
In lieu of going with Nikon for a hedge on quality control I am looking for advice on whether to consider the extended warranty to protect my investment. I know that Consumer Reports recommends against these warranties on general principle and I still have 2 Nikon SLR bodies and 3 Nikon lenses from the old days that I never had a problem with. However $600 is a lot of money to plunk down. Any suggestions or considerations?

Thanks,
Roy

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    The Tamron 17-50mm is a great lens. I have not heard anything bad about it from anyone who actually owns one.
    Steve

Website
  • rwmjrwmj Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    The Tamron 17-50mm is a great lens. I have not heard anything bad about it from anyone who actually owns one.

I have seen a lot of posts to that effect. However I did extensive seraching for comments about it and I saw enough comments to make me feel more secure wuth the Nikon. This will be my principal lens for now and gives me more range at both ends.