Manzanita Lake Sunset

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited January 29, 2009 in Landscapes
I took this photo back in September on my (late) Summer Vacation. It was one of the first I processed, but never posted because I was waiting to process more and post a series. Sadly, I haven't had time to get back to processing the others, but would love to hear what everyone thinks of this one as it's one of my favorites from the trip...

455871639_V2mT4-L.jpg

Any suggestions or concerns are greatly appreciated! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Nicely done. Love the color. If it were me, I would clone out the little clumps of grass in the foreground. But that's just a nit. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Nicely done. Love the color. If it were me, I would clone out the little clumps of grass in the foreground. But that's just a nit. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks, Jeff!

I keep looking at those little dark spots and I can't quite decide what to do about them... part of me says "leave 'em in! It's reality" the part of me says "You're just making excuses to be lazy! Take 'em out already!" rolleyes1.gif

I guess I should bite the bullet and take them out... so I can at least compare the two!

Thanks for looking!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Love this! Can you try and bring a little more warmth out of that setting sun? Great colors man!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thanks, Jeff!

I keep looking at those little dark spots and I can't quite decide what to do about them... part of me says "leave 'em in! It's reality" the part of me says "You're just making excuses to be lazy! Take 'em out already!" rolleyes1.gif

I guess I should bite the bullet and take them out... so I can at least compare the two!

Thanks for looking!

Reality bites! Sometimes it has to be fixed! :poke
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    That makes me want to be there! That's the best part about photographing nature - you had to be there to take the shot.

I think this shot would benefit from the horizon being moved more off center. I cropped it to a panorama type format and moved the horizon a little more towards the bottom - just some food for thought.

Wes
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Nice shot!! I like the cropped version.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Bump to Wes. The crop is better IMHO.
    edited January 29, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Love this! Can you try and bring a little more warmth out of that setting sun? Great colors man!

Hmmm... It's been so long since I processed this one, I can't quite remember what the raw looked like... I bet with a reprocess and some layering/masking I can get at least a little more out of there... Thanks for the suggestion, Idlewild!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 29, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Reality bites! Sometimes it has to be fixed! :poke

Thanks for the poke in the right direction, Jeff!

Can I be allowed in on your "less photoshop" exception?! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 29, 2009
    Wes Weber wrote:
    That makes me want to be there! That's the best part about photographing nature - you had to be there to take the shot.

I think this shot would benefit from the horizon being moved more off center. I cropped it to a panorama type format and moved the horizon a little more towards the bottom - just some food for thought.

Wes

I absolutely agree Wes... it was a great night to be there... great sunset followed by sitting around a campfire with some new friends... what more could one ask for?!

I like your crop... I tried a true pano while I was there, but it just didn't work out well... (pano attempt at night + $10 swap meet tripod = not a great idea!rolleyes1.gif ) and I think I gave up on the idea when I saw it didn't work so well, but I like what you've done here. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 29, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Nice shot!! I like the cropped version.
    Bump to Wes. The crop is better IMHO.

Thanks for looking guys! I think the "I's" have it for the cropped version... Once I get a chance to mask & layer some more warmth in, I'll give it a nice pano crop! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos