Options

What should I do?

MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Weddings
Hi, new to the wedding forum but have been an active photographer (self taught) shooting bike racing events for about 2 years. Out of the blue, in the last week I've been approached by two different cyclists for work as wedding photographer. I know absolutely nothing about this kind of work but I'd like to help them out.

Any suggestions from experienced wedding shooters out there would be most welcome. I'm not sure how to respond to these requests or what I should charge should I accept. I don't really want to turn away any work! Is it at all possible to get good results using only the equipment I already have:

Nikon D70s/D80
Nikon 35mm F2.8D, 80-200mm 2.8ED
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC, 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC
SB-800's

I don't have extensive experience shooting indoors other than the odd family photo using bounce flash etc.

Thanks,
Jon

www.cxphotos.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Sounds like a great oppurtunity! I would highly stress to these people that you are not an experienced wedding photographer but that you would be willing to give it a shot. I would have a well prepared contract so that it can't come back and bite you. I would assume they know you don't do weddings but have seen your work and they liked what they saw, which tells me they are not overly picky about you not being a wedding photographer. I kind of got my start this way and it's amazing how trusting people are, especially when you are completley honest with them. I would recommend researching different poses and important things to shoot at a wedding. Get an idea from them also what they would like you to get. You are working and providing a service for them and being that you are just starting out why not work with them on what they want.

You will probably hear a lot of different ideas on this but you will need to follow your gut and do what you feel comfortable with. Good Luck!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    low light indoor photography practice is a MUST before accepting and/or executing this request! If you mostly have done outdoor in the past, there is very little similarity.....Doesn't matter if it's indoor sports, events, parties, you name it...get cracking and good luck! :D Might want to get a very fast prime in addition to your current lenses (like 50mm 1.4 or 1.8)

And definitely be devouring other wedding photographers to see what poses you want to try out in advance and plan on that day....

lots of great advice in the STicky section in this forum, as well, no reason to duplicate. Make sure you check out Scott Quier's compiled list...it's spot on.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    low light indoor photography practice is a MUST before accepting and/or executing this request! If you mostly have done outdoor in the past, there is very little similarity.....Doesn't matter if it's indoor sports, events, parties, you name it...get cracking and good luck! :D Might want to get a very fast prime in addition to your current lenses (like 50mm 1.4 or 1.8)

And definitely be devouring other wedding photographers to see what poses you want to try out in advance and plan on that day....

lots of great advice in the STicky section in this forum, as well, no reason to duplicate. Make sure you check out Scott Quier's compiled list...it's spot on.

15524779-Ti.gifThat is what I was going to say... (nice job Lynne)
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Thanks for the input everyone! I know I've alot to learn about ineterior lighting; after looking at many of the websites listed here it seems really intimidating. I've also looked into helping out a local wedding photog for a day, still waiting to hear back from a couple.

Do you think I need to invest in any other lighting equipment other than that fast prime (which I have been hunting for recently)? Considering my experience what should I be charging for a day's work?

Jon
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    You can't really consider it a "day's work"... It will need MUCH more time than that. You have to consider prep time, processing time, hosting and much more.

As far as a dollar figure, I would suggest researching other wedding photographers your area and find out the going rate for around there... then perhaps reduce your fee a bit because of your inexperience... But not too low- don't want to low ball your competition. Good luck!
  • Options
    JonesyJonesy Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Marlowe wrote:
    Thanks for the input everyone! I know I've alot to learn about ineterior lighting; after looking at many of the websites listed here it seems really intimidating. I've also looked into helping out a local wedding photog for a day, still waiting to hear back from a couple.

Do you think I need to invest in any other lighting equipment other than that fast prime (which I have been hunting for recently)? Considering my experience what should I be charging for a day's work?

Jon

It is intimidating (and nervewracking and demanding) but also SO enjoyable, fun and addictive.

You'll want lots and lots and lots of memory and batteries (including extras for your camera). Besides the prime, I also recommend a diffuser if you don't already have one and a monopod if it's super low light.

As far as charging, for my first few weddings I did not charge at all and was very clear to the couples that while I had over 10 years of photography experience I was only just starting out in weddings. It took a lot of the pressure off and they all paid me what they felt was reasonable (and in all cases it was more than I expected). You could give them a sample of rates in your area as a guideline. Rates vary greatly by region, so take a look at some pro wedding photogs websites and at Craigslists (a lot of beginners post there) to get a sense of what is normal for your area. Def. use a contract, there are a ton of templates out there.

Like the others suggested above me, simply sit down and have a relaxed chat with the couple and get to know a bit more about their wedding before you commit. That way you'll have all of the details to decide whether you want to take this on (large production vs small and intimate, indoor vs outdoor, daytime vs night, what are they expecting from you, do your personalities mesh well, etc.).

Good luck and happy researching!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Everything I have to say on the subject is in my "Thoughts on Photographing a Wedding" - see the link in my signature.

I really do wish you luck in this, but please, please prepare and, as suggested by urbanaries, practice and study the work of others.
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    eek7.gif You need to be a bit suspicious of "guys" asking you to photograph their weddings. I'd wait until I talked to the bride before I started making any plans. Wedding photography has become a flooded industry but it is fulfilling and can be financially rewarding. In your situation if you don't have much experience in intimate portraiture using flash and how to take control of the wedding day scenario or even the work flow that is necessary, I'd try to work with wedding professionals a few times before I got involved. Also the easiest equipment solution might be photographing "photo Journalistically" since that might be close to what you are doing now. Just my thoughts and of course everyone else that's responded has good advice and info. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Others have already given good advise, as well as the sticky.

Of note: get a fast prime (or two). Practice, practice practice with them and with your other stuff in low light. If that means you are shooting your poker night or going to a bar with your camera, so be it... you've got to know what you are doing in the dark in order to find the light in a wedding. Your D80 being relatively noisey isn't helping you, but hey, that's what you got - I shot my first (for free, I was also the best man) out on a D70, for what it's worth.

Lots of CF, lots of batteries.

Rentals are actually really cheap for things you need if you are cash-strapped. You could spend a hundred bucks and rent a full compliment of lenses and a D300, for example. (though you'd want to get a bit of practice on a new body before going in)

What to charge... Make them KNOW it's your first, then go with your gut. If you honestly feel you'll do good, charge them a low but reasonable price (500?) (perhaps leaving it said that 'if they are happy, they can pay more'.)

Make an realistic estimate of the amount of work you are going to put into the job. Then quadruple it. Seriously.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    sounds like you are getting some awesome advice here as usual!!! Your biggest problem, as others are saying, is going to be the low light end of it. Especially if you are bouncing a lot. I'm often shooting my 5d at 1600iso to get the results I want, and with my 40d I like to stay at 800iso or less, and my guess is that your nikon gear is at best on par with my 40d in low light. Shooting fast glass will help with that obviously, though you have to watch your dof. LOTS of batteries for the flash because bouncing uses a lot of juice, and extra cards so you don't have to try to dump and format at the event. The rest has already been said!!! Study, study, study!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    For your first wedding I would not charge. If you need to rent equipment, explain to the couple that you will need to do this and ask them to cover your expenses. If the photos turn out well you can always sell them an album or some prints. Just remember this, all of the good intentions and promises that it's ok that you have no experience can go right out the window if the photos do not turn out. BE VERY CLEAR up front. If your candidness causes them to shy away from you see if you can make arrangements to be a second shooter at their wedding for free. If you do accept the job try to keep it as simple as possible. One light on your camera and a reflector to soften the light. Be sure to try to get a couple formal family shots. For posing you can just look at the photos posted here for ideas. Make a list of photos even though you dont have to follow it strictly, it can help if you get stuck. Do no stand around reading it in front of the B&G it may lower their confidence and could show in their pictures. Use a tripod when feasable and get a quick release for the head. And finally, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Know your equipment. Good luck and hope to see some of your wedding photos posted.