High Key Woodpecker (DSS 18)

KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited January 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
463547306_UFKwt-L.jpg

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    thats nice, have you tried even brighter?
    Aaron Nelson
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 29, 2009
    You might want to layer this and preserve the woodpecker some and fade the background out so not to compete with the texture of the woodpecker. Just a thought.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Kurt, this is really nice, but you might try even lighter, as suggested, but I would darken the eye and really pull you in there. Also, does it have any red in the original? When I first saw the bird, that's what I was expecting and was disappointed at the lack of color (even if it was very pale).
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I'm thinking the woodpecker with the tree is just not a good subject for a high key approach. My first attempt was very high key and the head area completely disappeared so you only really saw an eye and the wings and the tree :) I'll post it tonight here. I did try several layer methods to keep some color and detail but still ran into the head problem. What I finally ended up doing is to burn in the head area a bit but the only thing that seems to be responding to the high key is the tree darn it :)

Maybe that should tell me something :)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Just another thought -- how about cloning away the tree down to about his chest so that his head stands out more. Then try applying a white vignette so that the tree blends into the white background. ne_nau.gif
    edited January 29, 2009
    464195015_TmTQD-L.jpg

Does this work a little better?
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    i like it very much, wonderful colors.

out of the two choices #2 would be a better choice IMO
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 29, 2009
    Yeah, I think I like #2 better as well. But I need to get a better quality starting shot because the sparrow degrades a bit when pushed high key. Oh well, back to the 'bird studio' I have started to put together in the yard :)