Options

DSS 18...High Key?

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited January 30, 2009 in Technique
So I've been looking at some sites trying to figure out how to do this high/low key stuff. I'm seeing that three strong light sources are ideal. I checked the link in the DSS 18 thread, but that just mostly tells what high/low key is, not necessarily technique.

I've tried a few ways at home and with not great results. I've tried using my flash (580 EX II) and leaving the shutter open for awhile. It basically just blows everything out.

What are some lighting set ups people are using and what are some good setting to start with (Shutter Speed, ISO, Aperture, EV, etc...)?

Thanks! Hopefully...

Comments

• Options
    unclemuunclemu Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I am just now actually playing with this and so my thoughts could very well be wrong but I have been playing with actually getting something to come out and I think I am understanding it.

Both low key and high key respectively need to start with just that- a subject or background that is naturally high or low key. ie I have been messing with a few face shots and I have been using a dark background, low incident lighting, and darker clothes with one umbrella overhead to bring out shadows on the face and one soft light pointed and the face to accentuate those features. Unfortunately it is too early in the day and incident lighting is a bit too high to get a good result so I have to wait till later. Granted your subject could be more towards the right end of your histogram (more high key) but it is how much light is around it that will get the results. Put a white flower on a black cloth, with a black background, and very low incident lighting and point one key light at it and make sure your exposure is correct and it should come out as a low key photo.

Inversly to get results on a high key shot you need a very light background (whether in background or by using more light) so that everything will move towards the right of the histogram. The more lit the subject and surrondings is the more high key it will turn. I also think that the subject has to be right for this whereas in low key I think there is a wider variety of subjects to us. So for high key I think something that is a naturally lighter subject works bettter.

For actual used lighting I think the low key only having one or two sources of light is the best and one that helps accentuate the subject and one that creates more shadows. For high key, I think that the light has to be very balanced so that nothing is washed out.

I don't know if that helps but that is my thoughts on it.
    风吹过,地无痕
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    A couple weeks ago Scott Quier pointed me to this website:
    http://www.zarias.com/?p=71
    and it just blew my socks off about how to accomplish basically what we are attempting with just a few lights. It is a really really great tutorial.
  • Options
    unclemuunclemu Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    and it just blew my socks off about how to accomplish basically what we are attempting with just a few lights. It is a really really great tutorial.

Thanks for that link....too bad I don't have space :cry (or money, or...i think plenty can relate...deal.gif)
    风吹过,地无痕
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009

Zack is awesome. I am dying to attend one of his one-light workshops.