Options

Need critiqes from the people who know people!

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited January 29, 2009 in People
I finally got my eldest son to pose for me. First time in 4 years. It was his day off and he gave me just a few minutes to shoot a set. This is how he looks on his day off. He does not wear a shirt and he doesn't shave on his days off.

The lighting was one hotlight to the right with umbrella and my youngest daughter on the left holding a reflector in shots 2 and 3. Shot 1 is just the one light.

I know the first two have problems with the elbow sticking out at the camera and had I not been so focused on a low key shot and lighting I would have seen that in my lens...but too late now. I should have had his arm closest to the camera down on his leg or something. That said...what do you think everything else? Does it speak low key photography to you?Thanks.

#2a...what came out of the camera. I shot it in sepia...

Comments

• Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Very good lighting set up

Maybe a bit more fill in light?
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    I'm no light expert but I do agree that maybe more fill that is unless you wanted your ratio that way for drama.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2009
    Thanks Roentarre and WOLP. I am trying to obtain a low key image that should have dramatic shadows. Not to say you are not correct in more light for a portrait. But as a "Low key" image does this make the cut or is it too light in the shadows?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Well, I think the first is very 'low key' and fits the theme.

I really like the second shot - it is both low key and a great portrait. He seems to be revealing a bit of personality, his eyes connect, I just really like it.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Thanks Ann. I really had shot this in sepia monotone from the camera...which is better? I added it to the top post.