Yosemite..the people i met

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited May 23, 2005 in People
Well here is the 1st of 3 albums....thanks to those that sent me some pics of myself.. Sam/andy/ed etc (for all the shooting i do i rarely have a shot of myself)

With your permission i will add them to my album later.

Please take any photos of yourselves for your own use ..i doubt nat/geographic will be chasing me for this many out of focus shots.

This was the best trip i have ever been on & it was you guys that made it that way. Steve/mick & andy for tolerating the avalance of really dumb questions.

It was a learning curve of biblical proportions...not so much the camera settings but about available light & the new lenses. The 135 f/2 is like a loaded handgun at f/2...not for amatures as at f/2 its focal point is laser sharp & it did cause me some grief in a lot of shots.

Again a huge thankyou to Andy & all the crew at Smug Mug.

PS...i have nick named baldy the Phantom...i have never seen a harder person to get a shot of. He moves without you seeing him or hearing him ! The one OOF shot i got of him is up there with 'bigfoot' walking past the lens.

Gus

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Ooops...left out one of my favorite shots...its in there now.

And its 10mm ginger....

22670237-M.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    I ran Lexar's Photo Rescue and was able to retrieve my favorite shot of the entire week, Gus. It's of you, and yours to use if you want.

22657335-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I ran Lexar's Photo Rescue and was able to retrieve my favorite shot of the entire week, Gus. It's of you, and yours to use if you want.
    Ta mate but i dont think 911 could rescue that bollard !
    edited May 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ta mate but i dont think 911 could rescue that bollard !
    You kidding, you look great there.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited May 21, 2005
    You have a bunch of nice ones, but this baby really catches the eye.

22640156-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You have a bunch of nice ones, but this baby really catches the eye.
    Yeah....funny as i really liked how it turned out as well (i didnt think anyone would notice it)

I was going to B&W in some way but a little over saturation did it for me.

This is also a huge hurdle for me doing my 1st big lot of RAW processing. Peoples coats are so strongly coloured.

Tks Gus
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    I am, immediately, going to look at gus' photos.

Wanted to say that I love the 10-22. Golly Darn! What or what is a poor person to do. Well, I wasn't there, either, so I didn't miss that shot.

Gus, why did you not use it more? It must have good depth of field. Were you just so excited about the other new lenses?

It is such a dramatic lens. NOt many other people are going to have the same photo of something when you are using that lens.

I love all the shots Sid likes, love the one of you.

I was looking at David's Avatar. Thinking I was. I can not see David except as a young excited boy who takes better pictures than one would expect at that age.

Just a suggestion: perhaps, we could have a place, like that place for clubs or whatever, on smugmug, I think. But the whole thread could be devoted to the "active" crowd at dgrin. REAL PEOPLE PHOTOS. I would put one of myself up, even a bad one. But I do not want to stop using my egret avatars.

And heaven forbid that Rutt should stop impersonating a tennis ball (green tennis ball) retriever.

However, I hate thinking that David is about 7 yrs old.

Just a suggstion.

ginger

going to go look at these really good shots, any shots of people I know are really good, right now.clap.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 21, 2005
    Super shots Gus thumb.gifthumb.gif

My, but weren't you the busy one....lol You got some really fine shots of many of the attendees clap.gifclap.gif

I also liked the one Sid mentions. But, I loved the colors and composition on this one.
    22642102-M.jpg
    Other than the ugly foreground, it's beautiful and, as mentioned, so nicely composed thumb.gifthumb.gif

Good work on the gallery. So many really nice shots and I love that wideeeeeeee one, you embedded into your post clap.gifclap.gif I really have to get a wide lens rolleyes1.gif

Super stuff mate :D Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 21, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gus, why did you not use it more?
    Thanks Ginger but this is 1 of 3 albums im doing.

This is of the people....next is one of 'the place' (lots of 10mm landscapes in it just for you) & finally another album of what i saw in San/francisco.

Its a dramatic lens...other than a landscape you have to give it a perspective. In the shot of the huge lens i posted above...im only maybe 2 feet from it. Its sort of a 'flat fish eye' if you like.

Gus
    edited May 21, 2005

My, but weren't you the busy one....lol You got some really fine shots of many of the attendees clap.gifclap.gif

I also liked the one Sid mentions. But, I loved the colors and composition on this one.

Other than the ugly foreground, it's beautiful and, as mentioned, so nicely composed thumb.gifthumb.gif

Good work on the gallery. So many really nice shots and I love that wideeeeeeee one, you embedded into your post clap.gifclap.gif I really have to get a wide lens rolleyes1.gif

Super stuff mate :D Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    Tks mate...a ray of light got you just as i clicked it. Those poor wood peckers in that tree must still be wondering what all the fuss was about.
    edited May 21, 2005
    This explains a lot though ....when someone stands with their hands in their pockets looking at an object quietly by themselves..you know there is stuff going on inside.

22641214-M.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    thats fantastic sid clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    22657335-S.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Well here is the 1st of 3 albums....thanks to those that sent me some pics of myself.. Sam/andy/ed etc (for all the shooting i do i rarely have a shot of myself)

With your permission i will add them to my album later.

Please take any photos of yourselves for your own use ..i doubt nat/geographic will be chasing me for this many out of focus shots.

This was the best trip i have ever been on & it was you guys that made it that way. Steve/mick & andy for tolerating the avalance of really dumb questions.

It was a learning curve of biblical proportions...not so much the camera settings but about available light & the new lenses. The 135 f/2 is like a loaded handgun at f/2...not for amatures as at f/2 its focal point is laser sharp & it did cause me some grief in a lot of shots.

Again a huge thankyou to Andy & all the crew at Smug Mug.

PS...i have nick named baldy the Phantom...i have never seen a harder person to get a shot of. He moves without you seeing him or hearing him ! The one OOF shot i got of him is up there with 'bigfoot' walking past the lens.

Gus
    Love these shots Humy! the black and whites, the sepia of Andy (andy asleep at his laptop is precious) the one in the car ... superb job clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited May 21, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Love these shots Humy! the black and whites, the sepia of Andy (andy asleep at his laptop is precious) the one in the car ... superb job clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thank you maam. I have never been looked after so well.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Gus
    Just finished going thru all the photos
    Must say very nice photos here some real good stuff

Here's one thats just scary looks like they are on the edge of the world ..cool :):
    22633920-M.jpg

Can't wait to see the rest thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
    edited May 21, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Just finished going thru all the photos
    Must say very nice photos here some real good stuff

Here's one thats just scary looks like they are on the edge of the world ..cool :):

Can't wait to see the rest thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
    Tks for looking fred ..but as you can see, i missed the focus way too often. A lot were with the 135 @ f/2 & i was a little underexperienced for that speed. Its a sharp painfull learning curve but im onto it now... i think.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Great Stuff Gus. I enjoyed looking at all of them (except the ones with me in them :D ) You smugmug site is comming along. It looks great. I loved looking at the older stuff you took with the oly as well. I remembered many of them from when you posted them the first time.

It looking very good.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Steve, I like this one with you better
    Steve
    22641453-M.jpg

Never saw a nicer combination of so very different gear:-)
    Nice shots, Gus!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 21, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

Never saw a nicer combination of so very different gear:-)
    Nice shots, Gus!
    Tks mate...its titled.. 'when worlds collide'

or should that be 'when wallets collide' ?
    edited May 21, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Great Stuff Gus. I enjoyed looking at all of them (except the ones with me in them :D ) You smugmug site is comming along. It looks great. I loved looking at the older stuff you took with the oly as well. I remembered many of them from when you posted them the first time.

It looking very good.
    Thanks for looking greaps..i am going to get a friend & slip 'em some clams to do my site up properly. She teaches P/shop at college & knows HTML. Im just going to frustrate myself if i keep going.

Gus
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    "So different, so same"
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks mate...its titled.. 'when worlds collide'

or should that be 'when wallets collide' ?
    Yeah, wallets:-)
    The other guy's sticker should read "my other cam is a hasselblat":D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    'gus, some really great people shots in that gallery! :uhoh and a-hem i guess my napping is now documented for the ages lol3.gif
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Great set of pics Gus, the looks on everyones faces tell the whole story of the trip...

Ed
    edited May 21, 2005
    Tks andy/ed...man i had a great time. Lot of computer work going on now though..easy to take 1300 photos...not so easy to process.
  • SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    Super job! My fav is:
    22643687-M.jpg
    Delightful candid portrait, the B & W is perfect too.

Thanks for all of the hard work you did putting these together to share with us.clap.gifclap.gif

Susan
  • tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    Great gallery Gus! Lot of faces there I hope to get to meet in person at the next shootout.
    edited May 22, 2005
    I noticed that photo, too. rolleyes1.gif .

They will not have been taking the "same" picture.

ginger (good catch on that, tells a story)
    edited May 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    'gus, some really great people shots in that gallery! :uhoh and a-hem i guess my napping is now documented for the ages lol3.gif
    must have been frustrating and tiring being on mars...........darn computer wouldn't work, so what could you do?

ginger:D
    edited May 22, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    Great gallery Gus! Lot of faces there I hope to get to meet in person at the next shootout.
    ta mate...next year ?

Well..my people are talking to her people.
    edited May 22, 2005
    SusanB wrote:
    Super job! My fav is:

Delightful candid portrait, the B & W is perfect too.

Thanks for all of the hard work you did putting these together to share with us.clap.gifclap.gif

Susan
    Tks susan & ginger. Im still coming to terms with my 1st realization ever that i actually have wrinkles umph.gif