Options

advice needed on what to buy...

pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited May 24, 2005 in Cameras
I need some advice. I really enjoy photography as a hobby, and I need to buy a better camera than the one I have. (It's only 2 megapixels, so pretty much anything is nicer.) I tried to figure out on my own what to buy, but I'm overwhelmed by all the choices!! My research only resulted in a lot of confusion. I like to take a lot of nature pictures while hiking, and I also would want to use the camera for general events like birthdays, christmas, and indoor things. I am kind of leaning towards digital because I won't have to pay for film and developing, but I'm open to the idea of a film camera as well.

I would appreciate any advice on what to buy. Keep in mind I'm a poor college student...I have a to have a relatively small budget unless I don't want to eat for the next year.... :cry

Amy

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Pepper just 1 thing to ask...your expected budget.

Gus
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Pepper just 1 thing to ask...your expected budget.

Gus
    I hate to say it, but only $500. $600 at the very most!! Maybe something that I could buy more lenses for over time...
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Well again i always like a camera ive never handled & thats the Panasonic DMC FZ-20...

The stuff i have seen that camera do just continues to blow me away.

For a camera with 12x abitlity & a decent macro ability + image stabalisation in one package i would buy one in a heart beat.

This is just my opinion though....get more.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    OK... it sounds like you want something you can grow into. So, a few more questions to assist us in assisting you...

How long have you been shooting?
    (now for the hard one...)
    On a scale of 1-10, where do you feel your photographic knowledge level is?

Working on a photography/graphic design/journalism degree eh? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Well again i always like a camera ive never handled & thats the Panasonic DMC FZ-20...
    Good option that is worth saving that extra little bit for...
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Good option that is worth saving that extra little bit for...
    I thought it would be on or under budget but if it isnt then for me i would hunt down a nice 2nd hand one.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    OK... it sounds like you want something you can grow into. So, a few more questions to assist us in assisting you...

How long have you been shooting?
    (now for the hard one...)
    On a scale of 1-10, where do you feel your photographic knowledge level is?

Working on a photography/graphic design/journalism degree eh? mwink.gif

I wish I was getting a photography degree, but sadly no. I've been taking pictures for fun ever since...umm...as long as I can remember. I don't know where my photographic knowledge is at! I'm good at editing pictures, and I think I have a pretty good eye for taking them. But I don't know much about all of the complex lenses and gear. So maybe I would give myself...oh...a 3.5. It's hard to say though.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    I wish I was getting a photography degree, but sadly no. I've been taking pictures for fun ever since...umm...as long as I can remember. I don't know where my photographic knowledge is at! I'm good at editing pictures, and I think I have a pretty good eye for taking them. But I don't know much about all of the complex lenses and gear. So maybe I would give myself...oh...a 3.5. It's hard to say though.
    Pepper i have just trod the Digital SLR road & seriously you may buy a 2nd hand DSLR like the canon rebel 300D with a kit interchangable lens for that money but you will open a pandoras box that you didnt know ever existed.

My advice would be to buy something that has a reputable name...an intermediate type camera (they use the term 'prosumer' for them)

Run it like a V8 & then once you decide if its your game & have a more $ then look into a DSLR.

Thats just my opinion...

Gus
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I thought it would be on or under budget but if it isnt then for me i would hunt down a nice 2nd hand one.
    Yea... Used may be an option, but this would be her choice. Pepper?

pepper44 wrote:
    Well, with todays market, there are many cams that you'll be able to grow into. New or used this option is yours. You can usually save upto $100 off new prices if you get something someone has outgrown.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Used would be fine by me, as long as it's still in good condition.

There's some good stuff on ebay. (I think.)

What do you all think of this one?
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:

I just got a used 300d about three months ago. I love this thingclap.gif It is a great "prosumer" camera as it can be used to learn the photography world yet still packs enough punch that I can use it for a while and when I'm ready to upgrade I can keep this as a backup. Also it has interchangeable lenses so I won't feel like I'm thowing money away on the lens because I can always put them to use on a newer upgraded canon body when I'm ready. You may want to hold off on the ebay auction as I got a way better deal and that was before the 350d came out helping to drop the prices of the 300d, just my .02

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Amy
    Take a look at the Sony 717 might be just what you are looking for.
    Not slr though but still for the money good one

Fred
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    I'm not sure what a Panasonic FZ20 sells for in the US, but it is a competent camera with great optics. The only down side is noise above around iso 100 IMO. Having said that, the noise is not noticable in an 8 x 10 print.

With 12x optical and IS, it does make a nice all round package.

A Dslr, well I just had a friend buy a used Canon D30 for $300 US. Its a great way to get into the Canon Dslr system at a good price. Its getting on but it was a refurbished unit. If you could find a used Canon 10D, then that is the way I would go personally with what you have.......if you can find one and really are after a system. Personally I'm not.

I'm not too sure on buying off Ebay and these folks here would know a lot more about that.

Which ever way you go, good luck and hope you find what you are after thumb.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Hi Pepper,
    I think the ebay auction you are looking at is priced a little high. I see very few "good deals" on ebay anymore. Try looking at the fredmiranda.com forums. They seem to be popping up there for $5-600 as people upgrade to a 20D or Rebel XT.
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    If you can find someone here with a used camera, I'd buy from them. I just bought a used 10D from Shay Stephens for half of what I'd pay for a new camera. Which was fine with me because I'm still getting my feet wet with a DSLR and I got to use the saved cash to buy lenses!

That seems to be where the real money is...the glass.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:

As Gus so wisely said, if you buy a dslr you're opening a pandora's box of expenses. Better to buy something with a fixed lens for your price point.

I'd look for good used either at fred miranda or this place http://photography-on-the.net/forum/. It's free to sign up at either, just like dgrin. You won't see the Marketplace forum at the canon site until you sign in.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    As Gus so wisely said, if you buy a dslr you're opening a pandora's box of expenses.
    I remember "someone" saying that to me 6 months ago sid & i thought.. 'narr..not me' Just buy one of a few different things & that will be that !

Man what a bottomless pit of lust it is !!!
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    I have just bought the Fujifilm S7000 in most of the tests in uk mags it beats the
    FZ20 and is cheaper 6mp but it boosts upto 12mp

19070805-S.jpg
    Regards
    Gary
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Pepper,

My advice is to not take it too seriously. Don't get a DSLR, they really are a botom-less pit, money-wise. Aside from that, there are many cameras that will serve you well, and just don't get too concerned with getting the "right" one.

Check out the reviews/picks at a site like imaging-resource.com, any one of their picks in your price range and the features you want will be fine. Here's the link to Dave's Picks. There's a lot of trade-offs, cost, size, speed (start-up, focus, shooting, etc.) and quality trade-offs.

But really, for shooting nice pictures, and getting shots at birthdays and other events, most of those picks will do you just fine.

You could also check out their Product Advisor, which will ask you a lot of questions and help you narrow down your choice based on your answers of what you want in a camera.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    MAKManMAKMan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2005
    EOS Rebel 300D
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I just got a used 300d about three months ago. I love this thingclap.gif It is a great "prosumer" camera as it can be used to learn the photography world yet still packs enough punch that I can use it for a while and when I'm ready to upgrade I can keep this as a backup. Also it has interchangeable lenses so I won't feel like I'm thowing money away on the lens because I can always put them to use on a newer upgraded canon body when I'm ready. You may want to hold off on the ebay auction as I got a way better deal and that was before the 350d came out helping to drop the prices of the 300d, just my .02

Eric
    I got one of these a year or so ago from the local Sears. Bought their last one on demo for like $699 with the stock lens kit. I converted from film to digital and love the SLR functionality that I could keep my old glass. I agree with the Eric and Susan. With the release of the XT you could very easily find a 300D in your budget range. It can be a Pandora's box when you see new glass come out and this and that. As a photographer at the hobby level I have to watch where the money goes for add-ons but I really like the quality I get from the 300D. Just my $.02.

Makman
    http://makman.smugmug.com/

P.S. Not all pictures there are with the 300D. My wife uses a Kodak DX7??? series.