Options

Using my flash - going from amateur to pro

TMACTMAC Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Technique
Can anyone give advice on how to master their use of flash? I'm really struggling with how to get beautiful shots using my Nikon SB-600 with my D50 or D300 and Nikon 17-55 f/2.8.

Can anyone recommend books or tips - anything would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    TMAC wrote:
    Can anyone give advice on how to master their use of flash? I'm really struggling with how to get beautiful shots using my Nikon SB-600 with my D50 or D300 and Nikon 17-55 f/2.8.

Can anyone recommend books or tips - anything would be appreciated.
    www.strobist.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 29, 2009
    Yup!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Play around with the wireless CLS as much as you can - that ROCKS and is super easy to use.

Wireless Nikon CLS - So Easy it's Child's Play thumb.gif
    375415668_NcL6S-S.jpg

I also really like the new Nikon CLS Lighting DVD -
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-School-presents-Creative-Lighting/dp/B001KJ91V4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1233254859&sr=8-1

Good luck!
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    +1 strobist. Also the links in the sticky EOS thread above are actually good to read for any system.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Go to the strobist blog and read through "Lighting 101". The link is on the right side of the page.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Along with strobist:

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

I just recieved the new Nikon CLS DVD. Have not had a chance to watch it yet but it is getting good reviews. Here's an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-School-presents-Creative-Lighting/dp/B001KJ91V4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233262074&sr=8-1

The videos at http://www.prophotolife.com/video-library/ have also been helpful.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Here is another good resource

+ 1 for Strobist Certainly my first choice, and often referenced.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Has anyone purchased or viewed the strobist DVD set?

I can't access the strobist site during the day and have limited time at home to spend reading the articles. Is there an easily 'printable' set of strobist articles? (I looked a few times but didn't see any).
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    jhelms wrote:
    Has anyone purchased or viewed the strobist DVD set?

I've viewed a portion of the DVD set. There is a lot in there. It's still not as comprehensive as his site but I only saw 2 hours of it.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Study the links provided here and others.
    Practice, Practice, Practice, using flash in a creative and productive manner is TOUGH.
    If you can master it your work will bring a premium.

I read everything I could and practiced A LOT and after two years I am still not where I want to be.

The first MAJOR step is to get it off your camera. Until you do that you are spinning your wheels.
    Good luck with it....I hope your journey to flash nirvana is shorter than mine has been.
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Also, go to the Strobist discussion group on Flickr and search for regional groups. Nothing is better than having people that will help you and let you play with their toys.

We have one in the Baltimore/DC/Nova area where we do several meetups a year and it's always a hit. There's 360+ registered members.

Seattle has one with over 500 members. There's other locations too.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    One of the big things that helped me was just sticking a diffuser on my SB-600 i use it on a D50 and D300 and 17-55mm also. It makes setting more forgiving. I have since gotten a SB- 900 so now I have to work on CLS and using more than one flash. Sounds like fun. Like zoomer said practice practice practice
    Just need more time to play.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    One of the big things that helped me was just sticking a diffuser on my SB-600 i use it on a D50 and D300 and 17-55mm also. It makes setting more forgiving. I have since gotten a SB- 900 so now I have to work on CLS and using more than one flash. Sounds like fun. Like zoomer said practice practice practice
    Just need more time to play.

Lemme know if you want to sell that SB600 thumb.gif
    John in Georgia