#18 how low can you go?

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited January 30, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey guys! Jumping back in the fray and taking "low key" somewhat literally. Here's two versions of the same shot.

The Low Keys
464141616_XtTpM-L.jpg

This low key thing is a compositional challenge! With so much darkness, what draws you into the photograph? Here I'm going for a zig-zag motion, where the eyes are drawn first to the white(ish) piano keys, then (i'm hoping) they're directed up into the shot from the bottom right corner along the diagonal keys to the left, up the brim of the hat and back along the top. At least that was my intention. Does it work???

The shot above is cropped to 5x7 ratio, below is original frame size (2x3 i guess)

The Low Keys b/w
464141489_d84Aj-L.jpg

Which one works better?
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Ha ha! I had actually thought of this same idea... I bet others did too.

I am not really sure what the hat adds- and actually distracts from the idea of the low key.

Also I think you need to raise your light source up a bit. It is casting some interesting shadows between the keys that I really don't prefer.

But I think this has potential to be a great idea! Keep working on it!

(I am doing something else, so no worries!)
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Hi.
    I actually kind of like the hat in there. It makes me look at the photo longer and wonder about it more. I like to wonder though. I like the top version better.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Ha ha! I had actually thought of this same idea... I bet others did too.

I am not really sure what the hat adds- and actually distracts from the idea of the low key.

Also I think you need to raise your light source up a bit. It is casting some interesting shadows between the keys that I really don't prefer.

But I think this has potential to be a great idea! Keep working on it!

(I am doing something else, so no worries!)

Laughing.gif yeah, this was pretty obvious, but living in Music City I had to go there. I included the hat mainly to add, well, character I suppose... as well as what I thought was "visual interest." When I tried shooting just the piano in earlier attempts, I couldn't get a handle on the composition. The light source was the fading afternoon sun through the dining room windows...and I was concerned about those shadows too but just went with it. Guess I'll have to quit being lazy about lighting!!!

Similarly (or perhaps conversely) this is what I had in mind for
    The High Keys
    464234715_9dm8y-M.jpg

I'll have to reshoot since this was taken before the challenge but it's my first attempt at high key (thanks to Nikolai).
    edited January 29, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Hi.
    I actually kind of like the hat in there. It makes me look at the photo longer and wonder about it more. I like to wonder though. I like the top version better.

Hi Karrie, and thanks. I've been reading about composition and design in photography and trying to pay attention to how one "looks" at photographs, eye movement within the frame and all that stuff. It's hard to be objective with one's own photos though, so I can't always tell when something works or not. Maybe there's a way to make the hat make more sense...ne_nau.gif
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I agree with Heather about the hat, it detracts a bit ... or rather, either the hat or the keys by themselves are strong enough but do not reinforce one another. The more I look at the first one, I realy like the hat in that lighting as a low key. The reason being is that it is has wonderful lines brought out by minimal light.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I agree with Heather about the hat, it detracts a bit ... or rather, either the hat or the keys by themselves are strong enough but do not reinforce one another. The more I look at the first one, I realy like the hat in that lighting as a low key. The reason being is that it is has wonderful lines brought out by minimal light.

Actually, rather than removing the hat, what about adding something else to the comp? An ashtray, perhaps... with a smoking cigarette as the perfect film noir addition? headscratch.gif
    edited January 29, 2009

Hi Kurt, thanks for the insight. Funny thing is, I originally thought of shooting the hat by itself, as well as the piano by itself, but couldn't make either work alone. So I did what any frustrated photographer would do, and just put them together! Laughing.gif. Well, guess it's time to get busy with some lights and see what happens. Thanks for the encouragement to keep trying, y'all. :D
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Actually, rather than removing the hat, what about adding something else to the comp? An ashtray, perhaps... with a smoking cigarette as the perfect film noir addition? headscratch.gif

That's a wonderful idea!
    edited January 29, 2009
    divamum wrote:

ooooh, i like it! ummmm, can you spare a smoke?
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:

clap.gif yes, that would be pretty cool!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I totally agree!!!! 15524779-Ti.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I was thinking the very same thing! Or if you remove the hat and put a half glass of brandy in its place with the ciggi idea.
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I have to say that I prefer the B&W version, but the idea of having a quarter full glass of some amber nectar sounds really good.

Great idea,

Tim