Sports CD

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited January 30, 2009 in Sports
All,

I am embarassed to post my shots compared to you pros but here goes.

I was shooting a high school game and at half time there was a youth league that had a little scrimmage. I just took some shots of the kids and the parents ate it up. They want me to come shoot some of their games and put them on a CD.

How would you guys charge for something like that and not get ripped off by having the parents just get one and share the photos. Should I ask for a minimum number purchased? If I shot 3 or so games and put the photos on a CD, what woudl I charge for the CDs?

I am just trying to get experience right now and improve. I am not a pro yet and so I can't be charging what you guys charge.

I am REALLY itching to get my radio poppers so I can have some serious lighting with my White Lightning flash and drop down my ISO hopefully to get some better quality shots. But that is probably 2-3 weeks away.

Thanks for the help.

MD

455485627_ixUsR-L.jpg

455478635_nrkBQ-L.jpg

455476995_AecYj-L.jpg

456055670_W5yGW-L.jpg
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Nice shots. #4 is a little soft, but it happens; nothing to worry about.

I've never been interested in selling CDs. Probably for the reason that you mentioned: "ripped off by having the parents just get one and share the photos".

I much prefer selling individual prints.

BTW: charge what the market price is for the size print you're selling. Your status as a photographer (amateur/pro) is all just a state of mind. Don't undercut the market by selling cheap.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    KMCC wrote:
    I've never been interested in selling CDs. Probably for the reason that you mentioned: "ripped off by having the parents just get one and share the photos".

Well, the way I deal with this is have a set fee that covers my time, and only provide one cd.

What I do for soccer is the following:
    Cover 1 game, with the offer to cover a second game to get shots of any kids I miss (not any that are absent - and I can almost always get everyone in one game).
    Process shots in LR i.e crop, maybe tweak exposure, nothing more.
    Deliver all shots on cd for $250. For a soccer team that works out to between $12 and $20 a player. I would never get that amount from print sales - just doesn't happen around here. I have no further obligations, have grossed about $50/hr so I think that is a fine business model.

Nice shots!
    ann
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Ann,

Thanks for the suggestions
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, the way I deal with this is have a set fee that covers my time, and only provide one cd.

What I do for soccer is the following:
    Cover 1 game, with the offer to cover a second game to get shots of any kids I miss (not any that are absent - and I can almost always get everyone in one game).
    Process shots in LR i.e crop, maybe tweak exposure, nothing more.
    Deliver all shots on cd for $250. For a soccer team that works out to between $12 and $20 a player. I would never get that amount from print sales - just doesn't happen around here. I have no further obligations, have grossed about $50/hr so I think that is a fine business model. ann

15524779-Ti.gif

This is what I do as well for about the same price. Work with the team mom, give her the CD and let her pass it around (or after they've paid, you could put all the pix in a smugmug (or other) gallery that they can download from). Don't give a CD of all the pictures unless you've received adequate compensation b/c it will get shared.

Conversely, contract yourself out to individual parents for like $50-$75/game to shoot just their kid. I also offer discounts (like $40-$65 each if there are 2-3 kids on the same team).

good luck,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I burn CDs for $40 with just an individuals photos on it. It takes a bit of time to sort the images, but that way they can't share.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I also charge $50.00 Per game per child, if I say only get 15 or so of 1 child then I mark it down to $25.00. just finished a BB tourny and did alot better with CD's than prints. It takes a bit longer to sort photos of each child for their own CD but its much cheaper than printing photos.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff