My first Challenge DSS#18

unclemuunclemu Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 30, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well as with everyone else would love some feed back. This is my first challenge and well basically any technique other than straightforward portrait or landscape work is new for me. Haven't had a camera until recently but now I am shooting daily and still loving it but hating most of my results (what can I say, I love my ideas but have a high standard for the outcome)

Anyway...

For the low key I immediately thought of music and keys but started out with just some portrait stuff and then moved onto the music thoughts (as I had no cool keys laying around) and as I stared at my guitar I got the thought for using a "high key" (ie putting a capo really high on the neck) and shooting a low key format. And this is kind of what came out. It was really difficult as I only had me to create the lighting, hold the guitar and shoot the picture. I used a flashlight with dying batteries (just worked out that way) to create my lighting and then I used a high ISO (wanted the grainy dirty look) and started playing).

Let me know what I need to do better- technique compostition lighting everything! I need to learn!
风吹过,地无痕

Comments

• unclemuunclemu Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    (it's only allowing me to upload one at a time so sorry about the three posts)

The second one
    风吹过,地无痕
    edited January 30, 2009
    and a third
    风吹过,地无痕
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I really like your idea here!!! clap.gif
    I like the third one the best but I do not like the noise and the background is not completely black, which I find distracting, could you try again without so much noise.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited January 30, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I really like your idea here!!! clap.gif
    I like the third one the best but I do not like the noise and the background is not completely black, which I find distracting, could you try again without so much noise.

Wow you must have super good eyes because it looks completely black to me...(you wouldn't be noticing the reflection off the capo would you??)

I can defiinitley try it with a lower ISO...I just thought in my original idea that the higher ISO (shot at 1600) might have a cool effect...Thanks for the feedback!
    风吹过,地无痕
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    unclemu wrote:
    Wow you must have super good eyes because it looks completely black to me...(you wouldn't be noticing the reflection off the capo would you??)

I can defiinitley try it with a lower ISO...I just thought in my original idea that the higher ISO (shot at 1600) might have a cool effect...Thanks for the feedback!

Ooops, I stand corrected. The background on the bottom one is black. I was getting the background of the middle one and the bottom one confused in my memory when I was typing that. mwink.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I like the lighting on the third one but I'm not so sure about the straight angle, though. headscratch.gif But you're off to a much better start that I am. thumb.gif How about positioning the camera by the neck near the tuning pegs and trying some shots from that angle with your camera focused on your fingers playing the high notes or strumming/picking hand?