Photoshoot - Rachel

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited January 31, 2009 in People
I finished processing all of the photos from the shoot I had with Rachel a few months back. I'm posting the highlights here. Let me know what you guys think about the PP. Thanks in advance!

463923830_mhbQT-L.jpg

463923566_LDo6s-L.jpg

463922213_ZzHC7-L.jpg

463922651_wsKbT-L.jpg

463923260_29ib5-L.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I like the PP on the skin in most of the shots. thumb.gif The model also has some great expressions in shots 1,4, and 5. Shot 2 and 3 seem underexposed to me though. I do feel the lighting is bit harsh on these..it's the shinyness in the hair in some of the shots that distract. How were these lit by the way?

I kinda feel like they may work better in BW as well since there is not lot of range in color.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I like the PP on the skin in most of the shots. thumb.gif The model also has some great expressions in shots 1,4, and 5. Shot 2 and 3 seem underexposed to me though. I do feel the lighting is bit harsh on these..it's the shinyness in the hair in some of the shots that distract. How were these lit by the way?

I kinda feel like they may work better in BW as well since there is not lot of range in color.

You wouldn't belive it if I told you. All of these were shot with the pop up flash on my D40. These were done before I knew about lighting.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited January 30, 2009
    well that explains it then. bounce! bounce! diffuse! diffuse! thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited January 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    well that explains it then. bounce! bounce! diffuse! diffuse! thumb.gif

LoL. Yeah, now I have an SB 800 and SB 600 with light modifiers etc. Have a shoot coming up next Sunday. I'll really step it up there and post those bad boys once I get the PP done.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited January 30, 2009
    lol..oh man sounds like you got "bit" hard by the photog bug.clap.gif
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    just a little crit, looks a tad too much skin smoothing to me. You've lost all the texture in her skin. Try to do your smoothing in a separate layer and then turn down the opacity to taste.

I like the composition on 2. The other ones not too much sad to say. Try to stick with the rule of thirds for now and make sure the eyes are always the main focus. I've found the most pleasing portraits I've seen are the one's where I'm lead to the eyes.

Lets see the next batch with off camera lights :) If you're doing intimate close up portraits maybe use a diffuser/scrim/shoot thru to keep the light/shadow ratio gradual. And to avoid the hotspots in the face and skin.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
    edited January 30, 2009
    Actually, the super skin smoothing is what she wanted. She has a TON of freckles. She was very happy with the results. This is for her myspace/facebook. So it was a very casual shot.

@Qarik

The photo bug is going to cost me another 6k this year. LoL. Fully commited my friend. ;-)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Actually, the super skin smoothing is what she wanted. She has a TON of freckles. She was very happy with the results. This is for her myspace/facebook. So it was a very casual shot.
    I think someone is a very lucky man!

As for the PP - maybe take a second look at that last photo. There's some sort of artifact on her right cheek.
    edited January 31, 2009
    I think someone is a very lucky man!

As for the PP - maybe take a second look at that last photo. There's some sort of artifact on her right cheek.

I'm in it for the babes!!! LoL. And I love to do it. So, I win! Hahahaha.

Good morning Scott.

As far as the artifact, do you mean like the little .jpeg distortion? I don't see it on this monitor, or the monitor I processed them on.

After a second look, I see what you mean. It looks like her 'make up' is running thin on that side of the face. LoL. You have a great eye. bowdown.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter