Alternative PP - Lisette

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited January 31, 2009 in People
This shoot was from the summer. After Tim got us all hot and bothered with the 'Dave Hill' look, I was messing around with some settings and ended up with these. I don't understand why I love the treatment so much. Any thoughts? I call it the comic book black and whities.

463856324_3QwcU-L-1.jpg

463865813_BR3oR-L-1.jpg

463866100_hvEqn-L-1.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I know what I like about them. I like the contrast between the surreal surroundings and the very real person in them!

Makes me wonder if layers (original and this) with varying opacity would work to make these even more surreal?

Cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Actually Tom, I tried the real and processed layers blended and I didn't like them as much as the black and white versions. ne_nau.gif

It's different. Nice and contrasty. It's a bit overdone, but I works for some reason. Well, atleast for me.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Hey Frank. Very interesting look. Have you tried a pencil portrait style processing. I'll bet it would look pretty cool with one of these shots. Overall, simply for my tastes, I'd like to see a bit more definition of your subject as she is blending a bit much with the overall scene. Just a thought.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Way cool, I like 'em. I also agree that the background adds a very nice touch to the technique.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    It's different. Nice and contrasty. It's a bit overdone, but I works for some reason. Well, atleast for me.

This is just a personal opinion, Frank, but I don't think you have pushed it far enough. If you are going for a graphic effect, I think it needs to be more dramatic somehow. If you want to stay in B&W, try one of the overlay modes to boost the contrast even more. Or just a curve adjustment to make the blacks richer.
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys.

@ Swartzy and Richard

This was a first time attempt. And I think I can honestly say I can reproduce this with any photo. I agree with the subject not standing out as much. #3 was the photo I did slight curve adjustments to and is the one I like the most. I'm sure with a few more slaps with the stick, I'll be able to make the subject pop.

As far as the pencil stech look, I tried that filter in photoshop and it looks like a drawing. Doesn't give me that comic book feelling. Maybe I need to add more contrast? I'm not that great with levels as you can tell. :cry
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter