Options

Nikon Scan 4 et Mac OS X 10.5 - petition online !!!

grad-o-zerograd-o-zero Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 30, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hello to everybody !

Nikon Scan 4 et Mac OS X 10.5 do not like each other !
Many many reports of Nikon film scan users all over the web about it... just google.

Nikon do not like to develop new version of Nikon scan to give their customers a Nirvana feel like into their bodies and brains not to mention their Mac & Scans (a patch... gee is that so complicated ?:dunno)

OK ...to be more serious cause the issue is pretty annoying : What to do ?
Put the scanner into the trash can ? reverse to old Mac systems (imagine the problems on the horizon already... ) or even... switch to Vista/PC .... well just work on Mac so would like to continue, that is it)

totally lost here on how to solve that. work cannot be done... catastrophe... :bow

Do you think the rocks will roll if everybody helps to sign this online petition :

Please render scan software compatible with MAC OS X 10.5 !
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/nikon009/petition.html

Nikon, Canon, Sony, Minolta lovers... unify to help to solve the issue ! will help you to ;)

go online petition and post !

All the best

grad-o-zero

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited January 30, 2009
    Grad-o-zero, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I moved this post to the "Digital Darkroom Gear" forum where I think it's a better fit than Cameras.

Yes, Nikon Scan 4 and Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) do not play well together. If I were you I would also be pretty mad at Apple for creating the problem. What good is a new OS if you have to dump your old equipment because of driver issues?

I do wonder if you have tried "VueScan" which does seem to work with Mac OSX 10.5 and many film scanners?

http://www.hamrick.com/

Ed Hamrick, the author of VueScan, is a lot more responsible than either Nikon or Apple and you might find a more suitable solution for the long term.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 30, 2009
    I have used VueScan for my slide scanner and flat bed scanner for years. Probably have not used it in OS 10.5.6 yet though....

Great program!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    grad-o-zerograd-o-zero Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 30, 2009
    Thanks for your support ;)
    Thank you so much for your support ! Moving the post into a right place is also a good idea. I was not sure where to post it ;)

Yes I have tried VueScan - good software but does not look like it is supporting ICE technologies proper to Nikon (?)
    Also on films (color slides) that are "hard cases" as strong contrast, deep dark areas, black&white (Agfa Scala Slides) I've found Nikon software better (I am using Quato calibrated 14 bit screen). Well this must be considered as personal feeling on final results... but wich one is better is not really a problem. VueScan is very afordable piece of software so a point more to adopte it ;) (I've just used trial version. It would be intrested to me to know if RAW output from VueScan are ... well how they are exaclty ?)

What I think, it is not accepteble that Nikon sell hardware with software that is supposed to drive it well and it's not. (wouw!) Where do we go like this ? Those scanners are high end devices also ! expensive one !
    And can we trust their products now ? When you buy a top DSLR Nikon for few thousands dollars ? next apple realese and it is not supported ?!
    uffffff.......

I am agree also on what Apple serve us. New system... OK... but look first Leopard days even month and problems with Photoshop, InDesign and much more ! Endless loop ! Is customer is a milky cow giving a lot of milk ($$$$$) ...... Probably ;) Look on the SilverFast side : 500 euros to get it ! (SilverFast is another pro soft to get Nikon film scan working. for those who do not know this soft look here : http://www.silverfast.com/show/scanners-nikon/fr.html )

Kind regards
    rolleyes1.gif(yeap already rolling upside down when I think how much energy we need to spend to get things done ;)
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Yes I have tried VueScan - good software but does not look like it is supporting ICE technologies proper to Nikon (?)

VueScan does support those features to some extent. They are named differently in VueScan. For example:
    Nikon's Digital ICE uses an infrared scan channel to detect and heal dust and scratches. The infrared scan channel is produced by the hardware, so VueScan can pick up that data and also do something with it. In VueScan you remove dust and scratches in the Filter tab, under Infrared Clean.
    So...
    Nikon Digital ICE > VueScan Infrared Clean
    Nikon Digital GEM > VueScan Grain Reduction
    Nikon Digital ROC > VueScan Restore Fading

That is approximate for a couple of reasons. First, I don't have knowledge of the actual inner workings of NikonScan or VueScan. Second, VueScan does not use the exact Nikon algorithms; Ed Hamrick has engineered his own that pursue the same goal, similar to how you can observe a particular feature being implemented differently in various camera raw converters. This means the results of VueScan Infrared Clean may not exactly match the results of Digital ICE in Nikon Scan.

The only reason I know any of this is that I have been using VueScan ever since, many years ago, Nikon chose not to update NikonScan so that it would support SCSI scanners under OS X, basically bricking my scanner. Yet VueScan had no problem driving the same CoolScan. Nikon has been doing this to us for years and years, and it needs to stop. And it is such a shame about their software, since their cameras/hardware are generally quite brilliant.