Options

Depth of Field

IronDogPhotoIronDogPhoto Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 31, 2009 in Technique
Being new to the technical aspects of digital photography, I have a question regarding depth of field.

I recall from my days shooting film, at any aperture/focal the acceptable range of sharpness was considered to be 2/3 in front of the the point of focus and 1/3 beyond the point of focus. In other words, if your total DOF was 3 ft., the acceptable range of sharpness would range from a spot 2 ft in front of the point of focus to a spot 1 ft. beyond the point of focus (distances used for sake of illustration only).

Is this true of digital photography as well, or is there a different "rule" regarding DOF with digital.

For what it's worth, I am shooting a Canon 40D with a 70-200L IS and a 24-70L.

Thanks.

- Gary
Gary Miller
Iron Dog Photography
www.irondogphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Actually what I have heard is the oposite. 1/3 in front, 2/3 behind. I believe it to be true. However I don't think this rule changed with digital the optics are still the same.

Thanks,
    John
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    IronDogPhotoIronDogPhoto Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I'm sorry, John. You are right. I got my fronts and behinds switched.

So the same applies to digital, eh? Good to know.

Thanks.

- Gary
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Actually what I have heard is the oposite. 1/3 in front, 2/3 behind. I believe it to be true. However I don't think this rule changed with digital the optics are still the same.

Thanks,
    John
    Gary Miller
    Iron Dog Photography
    www.irondogphoto.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 30, 2009
    Hi Gary - welcome to Dgrin!

Although the digital body is obviously different, optics are optics, and lenses haven't really changed much, at least in basic operation, since the birth of photography. Physics is constant (thank goodness, or I'd need to go back to school every year lol3.gif). Lenses and other optical components bend, manipulate, and focus light waves the same way, regardless of how the image is captured at the end of the optical path, whether its by burning it into film or registering it in pixels.

thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:

Thanks,
    John

This is one of those "rules of thumb" that is an approximation for some circumstances. It is only perfectly accurate when the subject distance is 1/3 the hyperfocal distance.

The ratio of front to back DOF goes to zero when you get near the hyperfocal distance (because it has infinite depth of field behind the subject so the rear DOF goes to infinity). Similarly, the 1/3 to 2/3 doesn't apply at all a macro focusing distances. Overall, the 1/3 to 2/3 ratio works as an OK rule of thumb as long as you are nowhere near macro focusing distances or the hyperfocal distance.

I found this an interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    This is a great link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field. -- I have been to this page many times myself.

Well worth a modest perusal.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin