Old Galt Train Station

Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi Everyone,

Here's an HDR image of the old train station in Cambridge, Ontario. It still bears the sign Galt which this part of Cambridge was known as prior to amalgamation with the towns of Preston, Hespler and the village of Blair in 1973.

Exif:
- Nikon D50
- 18-55 II @ 18mm f/16
- iso 200
- shot on a tripod with wireless remote
- 6 image hdr processed in photomatix pro

465032062_AcUnw-L.jpg

Critiques are very welcomed.
Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Very nicely done HDR. Not overprocessed as many are. Nice composition.thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    That's really nice and like the other poster has said, not overly processed. And of course those ice barnacles add even more interest to the old station as well! Well found.
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    I really like that, would be neat to it at night too.thumb.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Hi Kyle,

Nice shot. There's certainly lots of detail in the textures!

I notice the relatively low ISO. I guess using HDR is a way of avoiding the issues with high ISO when perfect exposure in low light/lack of lights in one shot isn't easy.

I don't know how much control you have to nuance HDR during the process, but I would have liked the whole of the facade and the underside of the awning not to be so uniformly lit. In other words, for some well lit and detailed parts to emerge out of relative shadow, and that enclosed shadow to contrast with the landscape background.

There is halo of brightness showing against the sky along the outer edge of the awning.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Very nicely done HDR. Not overprocessed as many are. Nice composition.thumb.gifthumb

Thanks for popping in and commenting.
    Kyle D.

edited February 1, 2009
    toadlet wrote:
    That's really nice and like the other poster has said, not overly processed. And of course those ice barnacles add even more interest to the old station as well! Well found.

Thanks, I do try not to over-process things when I'm working in HDR. But there are some subjects that just call for it. As for the icicles, I couldn't stop looking at them when I was there. They were simply goregous.
    Kyle D.

edited February 1, 2009
    summerz wrote:
    I really like that, would be neat to it at night too.thumb.gif

I'll have to head up there at night once I get my camera back and see what I can get. Thanks for the idea!
    Kyle D.

edited February 1, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Hi Kyle,

Nice shot. There's certainly lots of detail in the textures!

I notice the relatively low ISO. I guess using HDR is a way of avoiding the issues with high ISO when perfect exposure in low light/lack of lights in one shot isn't easy.

I don't know how much control you have to nuance HDR during the process, but I would have liked the whole of the facade and the underside of the awning not to be so uniformly lit. In other words, for some well lit and detailed parts to emerge out of relative shadow, and that enclosed shadow to contrast with the landscape background.

There is halo of brightness showing against the sky along the outer edge of the awning.

Neil

Thanks for commenting.

HDR is great for controlling noise in situations where normally high iso would be required but you have the added benefit of taking multiple shots and the subject won't move.

As for attempting to make it not so uniformly lit. I think that might defeat the entire purpose of HDR, from my understanding, HDR is supposed to allow you to see detail in both the shadows and the highlights. On the other hand, your idea does sound interesting so when I get a chance, I'll definitely take a crack at it!
    Kyle D.

edited February 24, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

Neil

I finally had a chance to see if I could correct the halo along the edge of the roof. Here's what I was able to accomplish.

Original:
    465032062_AcUnw-L.jpg

Corrected for Halo:
    479994848_Gp43A-L.jpg

Please let me know what you think.
    Kyle D.