Looking to purchase a new Nikon D3x

dimmgdimmg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 1, 2009 in Cameras
I am in the market for a new D3x and I wanted to get it at the best price that I can. I was thinking about buying it on eBay. Does anyone have a favorite seller they would suggest that is dependable?

Or, if eBya is a bad idea do you have any online retailer suggestions?

Thanks...

Comments

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    I have to say, buying a D3X and worrying about the price seems a little contradictory! eek7.gif

My take on it would be this, if you're going to drop close to $10000 on a piece of electronics, why not spend a couple hundred more (if it even is that much more) to buy from a big, reputable retailer with a serious customer service department, knowing the camera will have a warranty that will be honored by the local repair centres.

:edit: forgot to mention, B&H is the most used online camera store in the states

I'd also like to ask, what particular factor motivates you to go the D3X route? What equipment do you already have? Remember that besides pixels, the D3X doesn't have a lot on the D700, besides an extra $5000 on the price tag.
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    stick to the big names
    b&h
    adorama
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    dimmg wrote:
    I am in the market for a new D3x and I wanted to get it at the best price that I can. I was thinking about buying it on eBay. Does anyone have a favorite seller they would suggest that is dependable?

Or, if eBya is a bad idea do you have any online retailer suggestions?

Thanks...

Dimmg, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I agree with the others in that a camera as new as the Nikon D3x is going to cost about the same from any "reputable" dealer. Anyone selling for much less than B&H and Adorama is very likely a scammer.

I can also recommend Tallyn's and Calumet Photographic (although I haven't dealt with Tallyn's myself yet, but other DGrinners have with great results.)

Be sure you review our threads:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5393
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=374
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Definitely with the big guns go with the reputable sellers. Ebay and such, they might be even more expensive than them as there aren't that many who are going to stock the D3X, which makes one wonder how those ebay sellers would have one in the first place..

Good luck with purchasing a D3X. It is supposed to be the "best" DSLR of this generation.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I buy nothing from Ebay myself. I prefer B&H, Adoramam and, Amazon online. Locally I have a small mom&pop shop that is competitive with B&H on camera bodies so, I use them for those. It makes it easier if there is a problem.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Definitely with the big guns go with the reputable sellers. Ebay and such, they might be even more expensive than them as there aren't that many who are going to stock the D3X, which makes one wonder how those ebay sellers would have one in the first place..

Good luck with purchasing a D3X. It is supposed to be the "best" DSLR of this generation.
    thumb.gifthumb

Another vote for Big guns: Service is the watchword here! Service after the sell is where the rubber meets the road!
    tom wise