Options

Kodak Easyshare ESP 9

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited February 21, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I've done some searching but can't really find out anything about this printer other than from the manufacturer. Has anyone any personal experience with this printer, positive or negative? I am also considering the Epson Stylus Photo RX680. Any comments would be welcome! :help By the way, I am not a pro, but I would like good looking prints!

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,218 moderator
    edited February 3, 2009
    Thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Not sure if this helps or not, but I bought the ESP-5 for my wife as a Xmas present after doing some research. I have printed some great looking photos on it. Also, the last two events (competitive cheer) that we attended, the companies that were there taking pictures used this exact printer when printing onsite photos for customers, and they looked great also.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    I am shopping for the exact same printer. However, I am not looking for it to be a photo printer, simply a family printer, mostly for printing homework. The reason I want this one is simple: ink cost. The family printer is currently a Canon MX160 all-in-one that we got "free' with a laptop. The problem is that each ink replacement is $60, and the kids go thru it like gallons of milk. The Kodak ink is $25, so my payback is less than 6 mons.

Now, as for photo printing, my view is no. This is a three color+black printer, and the color ink tank is a single tank. You will get much better color reproduction with more colors, and individual ink tanks are a must have (IMHO) with photo printing, since the colors are used at very different rates.

The Epson you mention is much better suited to photo printer as it is a 5 color+black printer, and separate tanks. If you must have a single printer for the entire family AND a photo printer, this would be a better choice, but you will pay for it in ink. (ink for this is $100 list)

For this reason, I have a family printer, that is a cheap all in one, and a photo printer for my hobby. I recommend the Epson R280 if you need a decent photo printer.

EDIT: My bad...it is the ESP 7 that I am looking at, not the 9. The difference in the 7 and 9 is that the 9 has an automatic document feeder for auto duplexing. The print engine and ink are the same. Both 7 and 9 feature wireless. For a good review, check out http://www.trustedreviews.com/printers/review/2009/02/20/Kodak-ESP-7-Inkjet-All-in-One/p1
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    I just looked at this printer as well. The reviews on Amazon were helpful, though varied.

In the end I settled on the Epson Workforce 40. (I didn't need an all-in-one so those features weren't important to me). What I gave up was the cheaper inks and the built-in duplexing. What I gained was smaller size, individual ink tanks, and much higher quality inks. The workforce arrived a few days ago and I've been mostly* pleased with it.

* What I'm not pleased with, and almost sent it back for, is misleading advertising. Epson says this printer has "built-in two-sided printing." To every reasonable person that means built-in duplexing. But that's not what Epson means. They mean that using their software you can print a page, turn it upside down and put it back in the printer, and have the 2nd side printed on. This is a feature built-in to Windows (and I'm sure OSX) that every printer on the planet can take advantage of (manual duplexing). To advertise it in this way is totally bogus.