DSS 18 Opinions Please

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited February 1, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've pretty much given up on my current entry and am considering one of these. Please let me know what you think.

465124970_mkNhR-L.jpg

465112727_rTFRp-L-1.jpg

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    The both look great. What's the title?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    Dan I am gonna be honest here...but I really like your current entry for the theme better because it fits the high key end. Of these two images....I know you are trying for low key but I personally do not think they fit the theme of low key. Other opinions may differ. I am finding that this theme is wide open for interpretation and if you feel that you like one of these better for the theme then that is what counts!

With that said...I really like the second image here. Looks like something that would decorate a wall somewhere!
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Dan I am gonna be honest here...but I really like your current entry for the theme better because it fits the high key end. Of these two images....I know you are trying for low key but I personally do not think they fit the theme of low key. Other opinions may differ. I am finding that this theme is wide open for interpretation and if you feel that you like one of these better for the theme then that is what counts!

With that said...I really like the second image here. Looks like something that would decorate a wall somewhere!

15524779-Ti.gifagree

These latest photos are really great pictures, but like JAG says I cant see how they are fitting the challenge title.

I think your current entry is really good.

Tim
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    JAG wrote:

Thank you Joyce.

Why wouldn't you consider the Hawk a low key shot? If the the background was black would you consider it low key?
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    The first is definitely low key: without measuring...But, Both are so darned good! terrific photos!

tom
    tom wise
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thank you Joyce.

Why wouldn't you consider the Hawk a low key shot? If the the background was black would you consider it low key?

Again being honest from my opinion only (for what its worth)...
    the image does not have to be black...but this particular image look more like an underexposed image to me verses a low key. I find that this explaination of low key (read further down on the link I provided for low key) is what really helped me to understand what it is.

I know you have light coming from one angle on the hawk...but maybe its not dark enough in the shadows. Maybe a different crop of the image and a dark mask layer might pop this more as low key. But that is again just my opinion and in the scheme of creativeness...that is up to you to decide.

You are a great photographer Dan. I am just saying my opinion cause you asked.
    edited January 31, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Again being honest from my opinion only (for what its worth)...
    the image does not have to be black...but this particular image look more like an underexposed image to me verses a low key. I find that this explaination of low key (read further down on the link I provided for low key) is what really helped me to understand what it is.

I know you have light coming from one angle on the hawk...but maybe its not dark enough in the shadows. Maybe a different crop of the image and a dark mask layer might pop this more as low key. But that is again just my opinion and in the scheme of creativeness...that is up to you to decide.

You are a great photographer Dan. I am just saying my opinion cause you asked.

Joyce, no need to equivocate. It's all opinion and I respect yours, and I also realize that someone else might have a completely different view. That link was helpful. Thank you. thumb.gif
    edited January 31, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    The first is definitely low key: without measuring...But, Both are so darned good! terrific photos!

tom

Thanks Tom. I'm totally confused at the moment.headscratch.gif
    edited January 31, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    The both look great. What's the title?

Haven't decided yet, but thanx.
    edited January 31, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gifagree

These latest photos are really great pictures, but like JAG says I cant see how they are fitting the challenge title.

I think your current entry is really good.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Maybe I'll stick with my current entry.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

Join the club. These are nice shots, Dan. I'm not sure what "counts" for a low key shot, but I think that for a low key shot to work, it has to be pretty low otherwise it just looks like an underexposed shot. Not saying that this applies to yours. But maybe it does. rolleyes1.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

I would be too if I didn't have this lovely book sitting right here in front of me demonstrating various settings of light ratios and great examples of photos. It may seem absurd, but I fret a bit about being judged by others in this realm....I have heard/read and received one too many wrong critiques.

if I take your photo and simply open it with LR I see it is mostly representing in the darker area of the Histogram. So for me, it is a low key photo: predominance of darker elements and lighting: An Image that has Significantly more dark tones than light tones. I agree it has a bit of luminance to it, but it still seems low to me

And now that I am totally confused, I'll shut up!

cheers tom

ps: that second photo is just too Sweet!
    tom wise
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Hm, I really like the eagle shot, but the color of the sky distracts me a bit. Maybe try toning it down a smidge (not pushing it to black, though)? ne_nau.gif

I do like your current entry, but the softness in that one is what distracts me. It may just be the nature of the shot, but it looks like a white vignette, and I'm not a super huge fan of those. That's just me, though. :D

I think either shot is a good contender with a couple li'l tweaks. thumb.gif
    edited February 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Hm, I really like the eagle shot, but the color of the sky distracts me a bit. Maybe try toning it down a smidge (not pushing it to black, though)? ne_nau.gif

I do like your current entry, but the softness in that one is what distracts me. It may just be the nature of the shot, but it looks like a white vignette, and I'm not a super huge fan of those. That's just me, though. :D

I think either shot is a good contender with a couple li'l tweaks. thumb.gif

Kerry, here is my original trying to incorporate your feedback????

465698636_y4xPw-L.jpg
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Kerry, here is my original trying to incorporate your feedback????

Hm, now I find the background distracting and the fact that the dog's body is brighter than its face (Lord help the world if I ever become a photo editor, neh? lol3.gif). I think something between your original and what you just posted might be the ticket. thumb.gif
    edited February 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Hm, now I find the background distracting and the fact that the dog's body is brighter than its face (Lord help the world if I ever become a photo editor, neh? lol3.gif). I think something between your original and what you just posted might be the ticket. thumb.gif

I'm in one of those funky do-loops Kerry, but I do appreciate your coaching. I should just probably re-shoot, but I'm off to Florida tomorrow to shoot birds and I have too much to do, and my dog has gone to the pooch sitter. Here is my final shot.

465745186_oBHUy-L.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

465698636_y4xPw-L.jpg

I like this one. But do agree that the background is distracting.

Have you tried blurring just the background or changing it to a solid color that complements the color of your dog's fur?
    edited February 1, 2009