More Phane in the 40s

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited February 2, 2009 in People
Though I think they may border more along the 50s. :wink

Finally finished processing the rest of the 40s part of my shoot with Phane. But before we actually got started, we took advantage of the light coming through my window and the awesome gobo it created on my wall.

465187451_jYcLY-L.jpg

465187833_mEfLR-L.jpg

3 We eked out every last minute of that quickly fading light.
465188254_ZV9ZL-L.jpg

4 Once the sun vanished, I set up one strobe and placed a 30º grid on it.
465188800_a2XNd-L.jpg

465189842_uesLG-L.jpg

6 Then I pulled in a tall tungsten lamp for some fill (since I knew these would be B&W, I didn't worry about gelling for mixed light).
465190502_ZVPc6-L.jpg

465191243_FnWQL-L.jpg

8 And she bore with the cold for a quick shot outside before we switched to the theme for the second half of our shoot.
465192726_hv5gq-L.jpg

9 A hint of what the second half of the shoot entailed...
465204609_3phBw-L.jpg

...the rest of which will be processed some time next week. :D

Rest of the 40s shots can be found here: http://blackcatphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/7239686_VJqcF

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Very cool set.

Caroline
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Intriguing set. Great use of light.

Virginia

Email
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Love the light and BW conversion!! #2 is my fave! Love the square window light!! Did you do anything special in PP for skin "soften"? Has a great vintage feel to it!! clap.gif
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    More awesomeness - I love them! The "gaslight" is wonderful - did you PS those in, or do you really have faux gaslights on your street?! In either case, very nice.

I absolutely adore #2 and 3 (did you consider submitting either of them for 18? They're more "obviously" low key, in some ways. I love the shot you have entered - oh boy do I love it! - but just thinking out loud, here...).

I'm intrigued by your "part 2", but boy does it look creepy! Sheesh - you certainly know how to switch gears, there! rolleyes1.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Got a sweet series here !! I think two is massively good!!

thumb.gifthumb WAY up!

tom
    tom wise
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 1, 2009
    Very nice series. Each one has a distinct feel. clap.gifclap
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I like this set alot..Good b&w and very nice light!

But the last one.. hmm wanna see more of that! :D
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Great lighting! :) #2 is my favourite. Nice teaser...can't wait to see what's next!

-- Lisa P.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Thanks, all. iloveyou.gif This was a very fun set to shoot. My model was awesome.

Briggie, I did do a lot of cleaning up on the skin. I plan on posting a before-and-after on my blog at some point today. I'll link to it once it's up so you can see more of what I did, if you're curious.

Diva, you know, I did consider 2 and 3 for the challenge since they're more obviously low key by photographically technical terms, but the emotion of the one I entered keeps winning me over. (I really did agonize over this, greatly. lol3.gif) Oh, and those are the lights around my community. Didn't have to PS them in. Ain't they cool? :D

Arvan, I promise more of the second half of the shoot will be coming later this week. mwink.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Very nice set indeed. I love all of them. I wish I was more knowledgeable in studio lighting. All mine are guessing games.ne_nau.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Love 3 & 4 and the shot under the lantern ... but they're all nice. Beautiful set Kerry! iloveyou.giflust

Btw. Stopped by at your daily photo project the other day, that's some serious stuff you got there clap.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Briggie wrote:
    Did you do anything special in PP for skin "soften"? Has a great vintage feel to it!! clap.gif
    As promised, a little "behind the scenes" on the processing involved, as well as one light set-up shot. thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    excellent stuff!clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Thanks for the behind-the-scenes - fascinating stuff!! thumb.gif