18 - Emotion vs Technical Accuracy

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited February 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, so, I struggled with this decision because one shot is low-key emotionally and the other low-key technically. For me, the emotion won out (after an internal battle that required taming with cupcakes).

But since somebody else voiced the same doubt I had (not naming names...diva :D), the internal battle has again renewed. And no amount of cupcakes can resolve it this time.

So...emotion or technical accuracy? Which one wins out for you?

465186988_U5mu3-L.jpg

465187833_mEfLR-L.jpg

Thanks for helping me wage the war in a less caloric-inducing manner. :thumb

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I prefer emotion in this case, and I see your struggle.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I prefer emotion in this case, and I see your struggle.

Thanks, Dan. Have a cupcake. :D
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I vote for the second shot.

I think the light on the wall (sunsetting) is distracting and it seems off balance.

I feel the second hits the theme and is well done and more balanced.

Ofcourse it could be that I have no idea what I'm talking about to so have a cupcake on me?:D

Just my 2 cents.

gail
    edited February 1, 2009
    I think the light on the wall (sunsetting) is distracting and it seems off balance.

I feel the second hits the theme and is well done and more balanced.
    Hm...but what if I balance the first one for you? Mua-ha-ha... naughty.gif

465645178_YoaND-L.jpg

(I'm assuming it's the gobo on the right throwing you off a bit. I personally like it, but I can see your point when I look at it long enough. Thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    See, I love - and I mean LOVE - both shots.... for different reasons.

The problem with this particular challenge imo is this: high/low key are supposed to be specific technical terms but, at least in the reading I've done, nobody can actually agree on what that precise definition is. I've seen everything from it must X% neutral gray to "mostly highlight or mostly shadow" to "emotionally light/dark" etc etc. I feel sorry for the judges on this one, because no matter what definition they use people are going to argue with it! rolleyes1.gif

In competition terms on this one, far more so than in other challenges where the theme has had no real "numerical" component (however inconsist this one may be, it's there) and thus is more subjectively defined, one has the battle between trying to second guess the judge's definition of the technical concept and play to that OR of simply going with one's gut for a great picture that can be perceived "in the style of".

This happens ALL THE TIME in singer land when trying to guess which audition arias to present to a specific panel, and the usual (and very sound advice) is: "Sing what you sing best, and let them decide".

I think the same applies here. There's no way of knowing whether Nikolai and Sherstone are going to play by the numbers or simply pick a great shot. You have two WONDERFUL shots to choose from so.... sing what YOU think you sing best. Regardless of the outcome of the challenge, they're both major, major keepers and you should be very VERY proud of both.

Just my waffling, pan-artistic-discipline 2c..... :D:D

(Oh, and by the way - you have a PM)
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

465645178_YoaND-L.jpg

(I'm assuming it's the gobo on the right throwing you off a bit. I personally like it, but I can see your point when I look at it long enough. Thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif)

I like this one the best, it really draws me in.

Tim ( who probably should not eat any more cupcakes :cheeburga:cheeburga )
    edited February 1, 2009
    See, it's Nik I'm worried about. lol3.gif He's a stickler for technical definitions, as exhibited by his recent low-key/high-key assignment (and every other assignment... mwink.gif). I figure I have more creative leeway with sherstone, but Nik being one of the judges is what started this stupid internal battle in the first place! :D

Thank you, diva. I really appreciate your thoughts and kind words. thumb.gif
    edited February 1, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    I like this one the best, it really draws me in.

Thanks, Tim! I'm giving you a cupcake anyway. mwink.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Okay, so, I struggled with this decision because one shot is low-key emotionally and the other low-key technically. For me, the emotion won out (after an internal battle that required taming with cupcakes).

But since somebody else voiced the same doubt I had (not naming names...diva :D), the internal battle has again renewed. And no amount of cupcakes can resolve it this time.

So...emotion or technical accuracy? Which one wins out for you?

465187833_mEfLR-L.jpg

Thanks for helping me wage the war in a less caloric-inducing manner. thumb.gif

I like both of them...and I think they are both low key. Maybe I'm wrong here...tending to be darker than lighter. My issue is with has to do with your model's hand in the above image...it seems kind of weird...with the shadows the way they are, it looks like her little finger is growing out the side of her hand. I just don't think that her hand looks right for some reason.

What do you think?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited February 1, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    What do you think?
    Haha! You caught the one thing that bothers me about that photo. :D I caught this detail later on in the shoot and would tell her to close her fingers up a bit, but this was so early and impromptu in the shoot, I missed that detail. I agree with you, and it irks me. nod.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    the usual (and very sound advice) is: "Sing what you sing best, and let them decide".

uh....don't our votes count in this? Or is it worry over not making the final selection...due to tech stuff?

I tend to vote with my iloveyou.gif~

Those shadows and the shadow of her on the wall are killa!
    tom wise
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I LOVE your current entry. It's just gorgeous. This entire series has so many winners, but I'd stick with the one you've already entered.

Caroline
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Oh Kerry, you are between a rock and a hard place. rolleyes1.gifBoth shots are wonderful. I like the lighting a bit better on the cigarette shot but the way she's holding the cigarette bothers me too.

But I really like how #1 tugs at the emotions, though. There's a story in that shot and story shots have done well in these challenges. mwink.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

465645178_YoaND-L.jpg

You know what your doing, always go with your gut!

Hope that helps.

gail
    edited February 1, 2009
    Thanks for the input, all. In the end, I think I'll follow my iloveyou.gif yet again. :D
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 1, 2009
    Kerry I like both of these alot! The second one really puts off more of a mood...too bad there is no smoke swirling around in the light. Thant might have made her hand look somewhat less distracting. But you did really well with showing different moods here.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks for the input, all. In the end, I think I'll follow my iloveyou.gif yet again. :D

I will say this:

Who gives a crap about challenges when you have a photo or photos like these in your port?

Cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    They're both fantastic, but if you pointed a gun to my head (please don't) I would have 1) attempt to disarm you (and probably get shot in the process), and 2) choose the first photo. I'm not an expert on what constitutes low key or high key, but the first photo is a great photo, so who cares! :D
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    I'd go with the stronger emotion. #1 really reaches out and grabs me, though #2 has a distinct emotional feel to it too - just more subdued.

For #1, have you thought of trying to soften the lighting on her face in post to introduce some creamy grays?

I don't know. I really love it as is. A beautifully evocative photograph.

Go with your heart.

PS - I love your photography.

Virginia

Email
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    The second edit of your #1. There was a little debate about interpretation, it's up to you to decide what's really low key or high key. This is not a technical challenge, but a challenge of interpretation.

Great shots as usual Kerry. You are very talented. Glad to have you around and sharing.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...