HDR - Old, Rusty Tractor

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited February 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
What do ya'll think of this one? I really like it, so I'm looking for some down-and-dirty C&C!! And for those who like the extreme HDR treatment, there is one in my HDR gallery.

Lauren

465751446_yS55F-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Wow, that's really cool. I just looked at your gallery. I've never heard of HDR, how does that work?
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Good one Lauren. I love these old farm tractors and implements. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    It think this works well, Lauren. The HDR is not overdone. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    It's a pity you can't do a 'before and after' shot - straight off the production line - and now - finished with - but full of character (bit of life left in the back tyre by the looks of things).
    Cheers, Richard.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    What do ya'll think of this one? I really like it, so I'm looking for some down-and-dirty C&C!! And for those who like the extreme HDR treatment, there is one in my HDR gallery.

Lauren

Looks good not over done, but I think you could make those colours pop a little bit more thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Lauren,

You have a good basic composition. The sky exposure is well balanced with the exposure on the tractor and there are no distracting elements keeping me focused on the tractor.

To me the image is lacking originality. What does this tractor say to you? Get us in there and show us by looking at your composition, lighting and post technique.

For example IMO the HDR post you put this photo through did what HDR is suppose to do but I think the HDR setting you used may have muted some detail. By bumping up the contrast making some level adjustments and using some burning the photo might pop even more.

and BTW some dramatic improvements from yoru earlier HDRs! clap.gif
    Can't wait to see more!
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    Wow, that's really cool. I just looked at your gallery. I've never heard of HDR, how does that work?

Are you joking ?? eek7.gif

HDR is a very popular technique (sometimes too much popular especially when overdone imo) to improve the tonal range of pictures - in principle to get closer to the Dynamic Range of the human eye but you can also go beyond that. The principle is roughly to take the same picture with different exposures and then take the area that have the best details.

You have a small tutorial on how to do that here.

And if you were joking then you got me :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Revision #1 - Old Rusty Tractor
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. It definitely helps me learn! How is this version? Is it too overdone on the color?

As for showing you what the tractor was telling me, I don't have any artistic or philosophical explanation. I just passed it, turned around, looked for a nice angle (it was inside a fenced pasture), and shot it. I guess I thought it looked forgotten and I wanted to show it some appreciation--but how does one convey that in the image?

466839410_rMw5T-M.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 3, 2009
    B&W Version
    I have no experience in B&W, but I thought this tractor might work. I did a conversion from my re-processed HDR image. I'm not sure there is enough contrast here--it looks a bit soft to me. Later, I will try also with a conversion from the original 0EV image. More C&C welcomed if you have it!

466857108_HgBTL-M.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. It definitely helps me learn! How is this version? Is it too overdone on the color?

As for showing you what the tractor was telling me, I don't have any artistic or philosophical explanation. I just passed it, turned around, looked for a nice angle (it was inside a fenced pasture), and shot it. I guess I thought it looked forgotten and I wanted to show it some appreciation--but how does one convey that in the image?

Much better colour saturation in this one clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Flutist wrote:

Try this website for an explanation and to get started!

http://www.hdrsoft.com/
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    redleash wrote:

I think you could improve the photo if the tractor wasn't cropped so tightly, and if you left more of the background in the photo to provide some context for the tractor.
    edited February 3, 2009
    The second one is much better!

Lauren it will be impossible for any of us to tell you how to convey a paticular message that is up to you. But without one your photograph just becomes another snap shot.

BTW your rework is strating to convey what you want. Your treatment now gives me more appreciation for this tractor.
    edited February 3, 2009
    Thanks, everyone, for the comments on the re-worked versions. I may play with it some more to see if the feelings come out any better.

Jason: First, thanks for recognizing the improvement in my HDR; I am feeling a bit more comfortable with it, but I know I have a long way to go yet. Thanks for your help with it! Second, my question about how to convey the message was really meant to be rhetorical. You are exactly right: you can't tell me how to convey my story, nor can I tell you. Some images readily tell their story, while others are much more subtle. In an exhibit, the artist has some chance to provide that explanation, through image titles, display cards, etc. I was just wondering aloud how to tell a story because, frankly, I have heard that several times about my work. A friend who is a photog and has taken me out a couple of times asked me several times "what are you trying to say with that shot" as I was lining up to shoot something. Others on DGrin have posed similar questions/comments, not just about my work but about others' work also.

That problem/concept feeds into the recent comments you made to me about taking the time to really look at the shot and achieve the right composition and feeling. I think for some people it is intuitive and for others, not so much.

All for now. I'll post another version when I have a chance.

Thanks to all for your helpful words!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 3, 2009
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>“you can't tell me how to convey my story, nor can I tell you.” <o:p></o:p>
    I disagree with the part about “you” not being able to tell me. It should be our goal as a photographer amateur or pro a like to tell a story with our image. After all there is the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words." We may see different components and like different aspect of a photo and one person may love it and the person next to you may hate it but that is a matter of taste. The best images however will convey similar thoughts, emotions, and stories for the viewer. After I read your last post I came across a new blog by Scott Bulger. He recently wrote an article about capturing the scene and I think explains what I was trying to in my last post just much better.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Title: You need to think more about just tripping the shutter
    http://scottbulger.blogspot.com/2008/02/you-need-to-think-about-more-than-just.html<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>