Options

stripping exif

Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited February 1, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I wanted to voice a concern about smugmug stripping exif info from displayed photos. I understand that this is only is the smaller versions smugmug creates and that it remains intact on the original. However with things like the orphan works bill on the horizon I wonder if somehow at least leaving copyright info in the exif would be an option. Also for those of us looking to track image use across the net, exif helps find those unlicensed images. I use right click protection, and watermark most images, and I am aware there is only so much one can do to prevent unauthorized use. I am also aware that others can strip the exif out as well. None the less, I would hope retaining ownership information in exif is an easy fix and one more thing to help pro users manage their digital assets. Thanks for listening.
Thanks, Matt

My Site

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Matt S wrote:
    I wanted to voice a concern about smugmug stripping exif info from displayed photos. I understand that this is only is the smaller versions smugmug creates and that it remains intact on the original. However with things like the orphan works bill on the horizon I wonder if somehow at least leaving copyright info in the exif would be an option. Also for those of us looking to track image use across the net, exif helps find those unlicensed images. I use right click protection, and watermark most images, and I am aware there is only so much one can do to prevent unauthorized use. I am also aware that others can strip the exif out as well. None the less, I would hope retaining ownership information in exif is an easy fix and one more thing to help pro users manage their digital assets. Thanks for listening.
    I agree. It does seem like it's time that at least basic copyright information is retained in all display copies (except maybe the thumbs).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    This has come up a number of times, and we've stated that we'd like to add back in the copyright info, and maybe other stuff. It's not just a matter of saying "do it" because there are a lot of performance implications to consider.

That said, I hope we'll have it in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    This has come up a number of times, and we've stated that we'd like to add back in the copyright info, and maybe other stuff. It's not just a matter of saying "do it" because there are a lot of performance implications to consider.

That said, I hope we'll have it in the not too distant future.

Thanks Andy, I knew if it were easy it would already have been done. I am always amazed at how you guys personally address every issue that comes up, regardless of what you may or may not be able to do about it. Thank you for taking the time consider it.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site