Canon XSi price INCREASE?

lashmonsterlashmonster Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited February 8, 2009 in Cameras
I was just about to purchase the Canon 450D XSi this afternoon and had the full kit in my cart at amazon. I was deciding between getting it from Amazon and Adorama.

Adorama's price was $609.00 with $14.95 shipping.
Amazon's price was $639.00 with free shipping

I took a phone call, came back to my order and got this message from Amazon:

Please note that the price of Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black) has increased from $609.00 to $639.00 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

Please note that the price of Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black) has increased from $639.00 to $688.41 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

What?? I checked adorama.com and it really had gone up there as well. What a different 15 minutes can make.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 1, 2009
    So what did you do?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lashmonsterlashmonster Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    nothing yet...
    Nothing yet :D just posted here to see if anyone knew of an upcoming price increase. I know it's only $30 bucks - but annoying none-the-less. Maybe I'll wait to see how much they want for it in another 15 minutes.
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    This may be because some of Canon's rebates expired. May just want to wait til the next round kicks in.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Somebody posted this article a while back - seems the online vendors use something called "dynamic pricing" which fluctuates in direct response to sales.

That said, since both vendors changed at precisely the same time, it seems the rebates theory is more plausible in this instance.

Sorry to hear the price changed, but I can tell you the xsi is a great camera for the price - I LOVE mine!
    edited February 1, 2009
    Thank you for all the information. The pricing article is quite interesting and informative - thank you. I was just about ready to wait for another rebate until you mentioned loving the camera - i might just order it tomorrow.
    edited February 2, 2009
    I just wanted to follow up on my own post. Divamom - I think you hit it right on the head. The price for the XSi on amazon.com is now lowered - 12 hours later.

So Amazon was: $639 to $688 and is now $649.00 and Adorama is still at $639.00 (up from $609)

Found the whole experience a little interesting. I wish I had thought to check B&H.
  • cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    I just wanted to follow up on my own post. Divamom - I think you hit it right on the head. The price for the XSi on amazon.com is now lowered - 12 hours later.

So Amazon was: $639 to $688 and is now $649.00 and Adorama is still at $639.00 (up from $609)

Found the whole experience a little interesting. I wish I had thought to check B&H.

D
  • Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Diane,

I had the XSi in my shopping cart at Amazon for months. Then a few weeks ago I was checking B&H just for heck of it and they had the XSi with the 18-55 IS kit lens PLUS the 55-250mm IS lens for only $789. Free shipping, no sales tax. Now I knew a good deal when I saw it and did some fast talking with my dear wife who thinks I'm nuts anyway. I bought it on Saturday evening the 17th of Jan and was telling my daughter-in-law about it the next day. I was going to send her the link to the B&H page with that deal and it was gone!! Not available. It hadn't even been 24 hours.

I got lucky and I do like the camera. My first dSLR and I've got a lot to learn but it's worth it. Hope you get one if you already haven't. B&H is at $654 at the moment with just the 18-55mm lens but free shipping.

Good luck.

Bud
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    I believe adorama sells via amazon.
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,882 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    It was in the news and newspapers over here that Japanes electronic products would get more expensive due to the strong Yen.

Canon (Europe) already increased its price for the lenses. The cameras would follow soon.
    edited February 5, 2009
    Thanks Bud. I hit refresh on Amazon.com a few more million times and watched the prices change a few more times as well. I finally hit submit in time to lock in $639.00 with free shipping. It went up and back down shortly after. I have always purchased my cameras in actual camera stores and left all my other goodies to the internet - so this was the first time I had seen such drastic price changes so quickly.

My camera should arrive tomorrow - I can't wait!
  • Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009

Great! Keep us posted on how you like it. I'll keep an eye out for your pictures. :D

Bud
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Thanks Bud. I hit refresh on Amazon.com a few more million times and watched the prices change a few more times as well. I finally hit submit in time to lock in $639.00 with free shipping. It went up and back down shortly after. I have always purchased my cameras in actual camera stores and left all my other goodies to the internet - so this was the first time I had seen such drastic price changes so quickly.

Enjoy! I have found it a BIG improvement over my Rebel XT and have to concur with the reviews that suggest it's more like a 40D-Lite than an entry-level Rebel. Absolutely llluuuurrrrveee mine.