#18 - Help me decide

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
These are from the last week, I tried high-key with some of them, failed miserably, and then went low-key which is more comfortable for me.

When I think low-key, I think *dark* (or black) with lots of contrast. I also probably think of more controlled lighting situations than natural light, though I'm too stupid to know how to light things indoors so I just go outside and hope for the best :D

Definitely more post-processing than I usually do, but I think I learned a few things that may come in handy in the future.

Please let me know your opinions (on the photos themselves and whether or not they meet the "conventional" definition of low-key).

Thanks!

#1: Almos the White Bengal Tiger (who has beautiful azure eyes but I couldn't find a non-tacky way of showing that):

466048945_TwdxC-L.jpg

#2: Grey Crowned Crane (this is a hybrid #17/#18 - I was going to try and get one of these guys for #17 but spent two weekends at Olympic National Park instead and missed the challenge altogether):

466049324_HjsHt-L.jpg

#3: Seattle skyline (took this during a 30 minute break at work, a very colorful sunset, I converted to a high contrast B&W and then reduced the opacity to let the original color through a bit). Note that the below photo may give you the impression that traffic actually moves in Seattle. That's a false impression :D

466056318_fcKvZ-L.jpg

#4 Snoqualmie Falls (much calmer now post-flood):

466048283_yQeBx-L.jpg

#5: Same as number four, except not completely B&W.

466058281_f6Jqi-L.jpg

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Ron,

These are ALL fabulous! bowdown.gif

The crane speaks more low key to me than the rest do. But I'm still learning about the process like you are. Most of the low key shots I've seen have a simple black background and the subject looks like it's emerging from that darkness. This is exactly what your crane shot does. thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Ron, they are all great but 3,4, and 5 are winners. Animals don't do real well for some reason in these challenges. That's why my entry is a dog rolleyes1.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    #2 looks like the best low key entry to me. The framing is a little tight for my taste, but it is a lovely photo of a beautiful bird.

The cityscape and landscape are stunning but I don't know if they are considered low key or not. It is a puzzlement!

Hard to choose, but of the three I think I like the b&w of the falls.

Good luck!

Virginia

Email
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 1, 2009
    Although I think 2 is fabulous...3,4 and 5 are the strongest for this theme. I think of those three, number 4 is superb at giving off a sense of forboding storm.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    +1 for #2.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    They're certainly all beautiful! I think #2 (the crane) speaks low-key the most to me. The B&W of the falls is stunning, though. We were there on our honeymoon, so that's another reason I like it so much! And I like the half-color effect on Seattle as well. But, I think I would choose the crane...if I was choosin'. thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Ron,

These are ALL fabulous! bowdown.gif

The crane speaks more low key to me than the rest do. But I'm still learning about the process like you are. Most of the low key shots I've seen have a simple black background and the subject looks like it's emerging from that darkness. This is exactly what your crane shot does. thumb.gif

Thanks, I agree, I think the crane fits within the standard definition of low-key more than the other shots.
    edited February 2, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Ron, they are all great but 3,4, and 5 are winners. Animals don't do real well for some reason in these challenges. That's why my entry is a dog rolleyes1.gif

:D

That trend has to reverse at some point, right?
    edited February 2, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    #2 looks like the best low key entry to me. The framing is a little tight for my taste, but it is a lovely photo of a beautiful bird.

The cityscape and landscape are stunning but I don't know if they are considered low key or not. It is a puzzlement!

Hard to choose, but of the three I think I like the b&w of the falls.

Good luck!

Virginia

Thanks Virginia, I agree the crop is a little tight on the crane shot, unfortunately I was limited by a fence (which also forced all compositions to be vertical instead of horizontal). If it were facing the other direction I would add some black padding on the left to balance it out a little (don't think that would work with it facing the right).

I'm not sure how the cityscape/landscape shots will fit in with the normal definition either, that's why I was curious to hear other people's thoughts on them. I think I'll probably go with the crane shot.
    edited February 2, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Although I think 2 is fabulous...3,4 and 5 are the strongest for this theme. I think of those three, number 4 is superb at giving off a sense of forboding storm.

Thanks, that's probably my favorite shot of all of these but I'm worried about it's "low-keyness" or lack thereof... ne_nau.gif
    edited February 2, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I think I'm going to go with the crane shot as I believe it fits in with the theme the best (even if I personally prefer some of the other shots).

Here are a few more crane shots with the same treatment (more or less).

Are any of these better than the original?

I actually think the original is the best now that I see them all together, but I'm curious to hear what other people think.

#2 (Original):

466049324_HjsHt-L.jpg

#6:

466160276_R2hhB-L.jpg

#7:

466160649_HJe4q-L.jpg

#8:

466160990_XCizG-L.jpg

#9 (same as #8 except with the background expanded to make it a horizontal comp)

466159817_otHMv-L.jpg
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Are any of these better than the original?

I actually think the original is the best now that I see them all together, but I'm curious to hear what other people think.

Im voting for the original. The orientation of the head is what seals the deal for me.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    Im voting for the original. The orientation of the head is what seals the deal for me.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited February 2, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

15524779-Ti.gif too :D.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I think that'll be the one I enter unless I shoot something better in the next few days.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    The original #2 had me saying WOW when I first saw it. thumb.gif The rest in the first post are really nice as well, but I would go with number 2 if it was my shot.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    All amazing images, Ron, but the original #2 just has that "pop." thumb.gif

Now, can we bribe you to go back to the Landscape forum? Or start posting more in Finishing School? lol3.gif Your images always floor me. bowdown.gif
    edited February 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Now, can we bribe you to go back to the Landscape forum? Or start posting more in Finishing School? lol3.gif Your images always floor me. bowdown.gif

:D

Thanks, but looking at your recent entries I don't think you have anything to worry about! That being said, I can be bribed for a nominal fee, I'll drop my PayPal info in a PM :D

My post processing chops are severely lacking, so I don't think I would be able to contribute much to the Finishing School (except maybe to serve as a bad example!). I did try some new stuff for this challenge though (mostly learning Nik Silver Efex some more which is a pretty sweet plugin), and playing with some of the lighting filters.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

I second that:D:D:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain