Highest resolution photo with the 50D

Foxy xoFoxy xo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited February 5, 2009 in Cameras
Hi!,
So many of you will remember all my daunting and boring questions that I were asking not so long ago about which camera I should get.

In the end, I got the 50D, good or bad choice, it's too late. But I'm happy with my 50D (:

I've taken little over 300 pictures as I was getting to grips with it.
I was supposed to go to the woods to take some photos with my doggy, but I'm so darn lazy!
Next week I have to! :D

Anyway, the question I'm asking is, what's the highest res picture anyone has taken with the best quality and what lens did you use?
And could you post the picture so I can see!
I hope that makes sense?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Well the highest resolution that the 50D can make is 4752x3168. No matter what...that's it.

Are you talking like file size? Because that is variable depending on light, color, contrast, and a bunch of other variables. I'm guessing that is what you meant.

Well I've had photos that were upwards of 24MB. I couldn't tell you what lens made what picture off hand with out a bunch of research. But you can look at my signature for my lens collection to see what I use. On the small side I've had them in the 15MB range maybe? Oh and these numbers are all RAW files as that is all I shoot.
  • Foxy xoFoxy xo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Thanks (:
    But I explained myself all wrong.
    What I meant was, and hopefully I can explain myself correctly this time, is what's the biggest photo you've taken, in terms of quality. For example, if you brought it into photoshop, and you can zoom in many times with a very high quality still attainable.
    Sorry if I still sound like I'm talking complete rubbish.

And this also brings me onto another question,
    What do people tend to use in terms of editing photographs?
    Lightroom, photoshop, others, or a combination.
    I tend to use Light room and photoshop together. But not so sure it's a good thing to do.

Thanks again.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    It sounds to me like you are asking a lens/camera performance question ... something like, "With what lens did you get your most sharp, detailed photograph?" If so, this is a lot like asking, "What's your sharpest lens and can I see some examples?"

My sharpest lens is my EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 20-700 f/2.8L IS, EF 85 f/1.8 ... or put another way, once I got them dialed in correctly, they all became wonderfully sharp. Examples from my last shoot (most of which was done with the 24-105 can be see here and here and I'll have some from this weekend up later today.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Foxy xo wrote:
    Thanks (:
    But I explained myself all wrong.
    What I meant was, and hopefully I can explain myself correctly this time, is what's the biggest photo you've taken, in terms of quality. For example, if you brought it into photoshop, and you can zoom in many times with a very high quality still attainable.
    Sorry if I still sound like I'm talking complete rubbish.

And this also brings me onto another question,
    What do people tend to use in terms of editing photographs?
    Lightroom, photoshop, others, or a combination.
    I tend to use Light room and photoshop together. But not so sure it's a good thing to do.

Thanks again.

Well if you're talking about being able to zoom in on your monitor to full size and have the photo still be crystal clear, that's gonna depend on your monitor, ISO, original sharpness of the image, a bunch of things. That's kind of a hard, maybe impossible, question to answer.

I use LR2 and CS3. LR2 for all my basic edits, anything I can do in there I do and if I need specialized editing, or something specific that LR2 can't do, that's when I go to CS3.d
    It sounds to me like you are asking a lens/camera performance question ... something like, "With what lens did you get your most sharp, detailed photograph?" If so, this is a lot like asking, "What's your sharpest lens and can I see some examples?"

My sharpest lens is my EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 20-700 f/2.8L IS, EF 85 f/1.8 ... or put another way, once I got them dialed in correctly, they all became wonderfully sharp. Examples from my last shoot (most of which was done with the 24-105 can be see here and here and I'll have some from this weekend up later today.

I really need to calibrate all my lenses. It just seemed like quite the process that I didn't think I would know how to do. I'm going to go back to that thread that explained step by step how to do it and see if it is something I think I can handle. From what I've read about it, doing this produced amazing results on pretty much all lenses that were calibrated.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    I really need to calibrate all my lenses. It just seemed like quite the process that I didn't think I would know how to do. I'm going to go back to that thread that explained step by step how to do it and see if it is something I think I can handle. From what I've read about it, doing this produced amazing results on pretty much all lenses that were calibrated.
    It's not rocket science - easy stuff. Just be a little methodical about it and it'll fall into place.

For those that missed it, the thread to which he is referring can be found here. In it I explained how I performed the AF Microadjustments - as with everything else, YMMV :D
  • lakewebdlakewebd Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    It's not rocket science - easy stuff. Just be a little methodical about it and it'll fall into place.

For those that missed it, the thread to which he is referring can be found here. In it I explained how I performed the AF Microadjustments - as with everything else, YMMV :D

Foxy,

I have the 50D, and I am not sure if your question has been answered.

The native file size for the 50D is 4752x3168 px, your manual gives you the resolution for sRaw1 & sRaw2 and the jpegs.
    4752x3168 at 300 DPI will make a 10 by 15 image size. YOu could reduce the DPI to 240 and get a larger image. General Fractural will allow you to increase files to quite large.

I've done a lot of pixel peeping and ISO testing with my 50D as I shoot in low light often.
    I would recommend taking NR off for Hi ISO and shoot Raw plus small Jpeg. The 50D makes clean images up to 1600 ISO, I would shoot 2000 - 2500- 3200 ISO and be happy with files after using Noise Ninja a little. I think 6400 ISO is too blotchy for me.
    Underexposed shots show the worse noise, your camera LCD screeen will display higher image noise then when you look on your computer. Best to print a few to see the end result.

The 50D is a great camera if used right, very smooth sport shooter, excellent skin tones, even better then my 5D but lacks the 3D effect of the 5D.

If you have alot of Canon glass I think the 50D was a better choice the the 300D.