Confused Canon Eos 5d Mark Ii Owner

CanonKidCanonKid Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Cameras
Well I will start off by saying hello to everyone here on this forum. It looks like a good one.

A member in my family passed away :cry and as I was going through things I found a new Canon EOS 5D Mark II with a 24-105mm lens. Anyways, I'm in posession of an extremely nice camera and I'd like to learn how to use it.

I think I have a HUGE learning curve ahead of me and I need all the help I can get. So anybody have any recommendations for me?

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:
    Well I will start off by saying hello to everyone here on this forum. It looks like a good one.

A member in my family passed away :cry and as I was going through things I found a new Canon EOS 5D Mark II with a 24-105mm lens. Anyways, I'm in posession of an extremely nice camera and I'd like to learn how to use it.

I think I have a HUGE learning curve ahead of me and I need all the help I can get. So anybody have any recommendations for me?
    wave.gif - Welcome!

A better statement of your problem and/or some specific questions would help us help you.

Absent that, get the camera with charged battery and the ower's manual. Sit in a chair where you don't be disturbed (too much) and read through the manual. Now, do it again while playing with the camera so you can actually find and play with each of the controls. This will also give you a leg up on setting up the camera to better suit your shooting style.

And read what you can find on capturing in RAW vs. JPG with the objective of making an informed decision as to which you are going to use and why - doesn't mean you won't/can't change your mind later, but informed decisions are a good thing.

And take pictures. Determine what you like to photograph and what you don't. You have a good lens there (one of my faves) but it's won't do everything. Knowing what you want/like to shoot will help a lot when it comes time to buy addiitional glass - and believe me when I say that you will either end up putting the camera away or you will be getting more glass - there is no middle ground:D:lol:lol4
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    When I got my new camera, I did like what Scott said, and sat with the camera and the manual for a long time. The first few days I used some of the auto settings as I got to know my camera. Then I set out to accomplish one type of photo at a time, working in manual mode. I also read several other photography books and spent ALOT of time here.

It's overwhelming at first, but I think the key is to practice as much as possible so you can learn fast.

Welcome,
    Caroline
  • CanonKidCanonKid Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Well guys thats actually really helpful. I ordered a Bogen/Manfrotto 055 XPROB because I read that a tripod is one of the most important tools in getting good photos.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Sorry to hear about the loss of a family member.

You are really high rolling here! 5D MKII and a Bogen Manfrotto tripod! Like what the others said, read the manual and test photograph anything and everything! Even bubblegum on the sidewalk!

Also participating in forums like this will help you grow exponentially!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited February 2, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:
    Well guys thats actually really helpful. I ordered a Bogen/Manfrotto 055 XPROB because I read that a tripod is one of the most important tools in getting good photos.
    Depending on the head you got with it, this should serve you well for quite some time.

Just so you have some clue of what you are letting yourself in for ... as you get deeper into photography - if you catch the affliction - you will find that you will need (at least that's what you'll tell your SOmwink.gif) most or all of the following:
    • Good glass
    • Better glass
    • Best glass:D
    • More glass
    • Filters
    • A better computer to better/faster process/edit your photos
    • Upgrade of the photo editing software - Lightroom and/or Photoshop
    • Lighting - either speed lights, off-camera lights, strobe
    • Oh, and light modifiers
    • And then you'll sell some glass so you can buy other glass
    My DW has claimed that photography is a deeper black hole than was my interest in computers!

I say this kinda tongue in cheek, but there's a lot of truth there as well. So, you have been warneddeal.gif

And welcome to the club!!
    edited February 2, 2009
    The tripod came with the 484RC2 ballhead. Is that a good ballhead?
    edited February 2, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:
    That tripod/ballhead combination is spec'ed to support approx 4kg (8.8 lbs). Cutting that in half (just because I don't trust the manufacturer's propaganda:D) leaves you with 2kg/4lbs and that's less than your camera/lens combination (even if you inlcude the weight of the battery:D). So I would think, for your current needs, it will more than suffice.

Is it a "good" ballhead? Don't know as that's a relative term. Is it good for your application - only you can answer that once you've used it for a while.
    edited February 2, 2009
    Well what do you recommend I get? Would I just have to get a new ballhead or or whole new setup?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 2, 2009
    CanonKid,

Welcome to dgrin.

The 5D Mk II and the 24-105 IS L is a great camera/lens pair, and capable of providing superb image quality. Think of it like a fine jet airplane. With a good, skilled,knowledgeable pilot it is capable of great things. In the hands of a beginner, well, maybe, not so good.

What is your understanding of the basics of Photography? Do you understand what fstops, apertures, shutter speeds, ISO mean, and how and why they are used? What effect does aperture have on depth of field?

To use a 5D Mk II well, you will need to know these things inside and out. They are not discussed in the manual for a 5D as Canon has assumed you know these things already, as the 5D MK II is not really marketed to beginners in photography. Canon offers automatic modes on the 5D so beginners can use the 5D MkII like a point and shoot ( Canon is more than willing to sell anyone a fine camera ), but it will not deliver what it is really capable, unless used with more sophistication. And that means avoiding the automatic modes, and learning to shoot in Manual Mode or Av or Tv. Get one of Tom Ang's books for an introduction to digital photography theory and practice.

The 24-105 L is my most used lens of a great many that I possess. Unless you are shooting birds, wildlife, macros, architecture, or other specialized fields, the 24-105 L and a good tripod will do you very well for the first few months of learning photography. But of course, everyone wants to try a new different lens at some point.

Like Scott said, you may find you want more lenses later.

You may also find you need a newer,faster more powerful computer, printer, larger hard drive, and several new packages of software as well. Once you understand basic photographic theory, you will may find that you also desire to process your images to their best in an image editor and them print them as well. Like Scott said, there is a tremendous new world to explore.

Welcome to dgrin!thumb.gif

I look forward to seeing your images improve as your knowledge grows.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 2, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:
    Well what do you recommend I get? Would I just have to get a new ballhead or or whole new setup?
    Read this: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
    edited February 2, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    CanonKid,

Welcome to dgrin.

The 5D Mk II and the 24-105 IS L is a great camera/lens pair, and capable of providing superb image quality. Think of it like a fine jet airplane. With a good, skilled,knowledgeable pilot it is capable of great things. In the hands of a beginner, well, maybe, not so good.

What is your understanding of the basics of Photography? Do you understand what fstops, apertures, shutter speeds, ISO mean, and how and why they are used? What effect does aperture have on depth of field?

To use a 5D Mk II well, you will need to know these things inside and out. They are not discussed in the manual for a 5D as Canon has assumed you know these things already, as the 5D MK II is not really marketed to beginners in photography. Canon offers automatic modes on the 5D so beginners can use the 5D MkII like a point and shoot ( Canon is more than willing to sell anyone a fine camera ), but it will not deliver what it is really capable, unless used with more sophistication. And that means avoiding the automatic modes, and learning to shoot in Manual Mode or Av or Tv. Get one of Tom Ang's books for an introduction to digital photography theory and practice.

The 24-105 L is my most used lens of a great many that I possess. Unless you are shooting birds, wildlife, macros, architecture, or other specialized fields, the 24-105 L and a good tripod will do you very well for the first few months of learning photography. But of course, everyone wants to try a new different lens at some point.

Like Scott said, you may find you want more lenses later.

You may also find you need a newer,faster more powerful computer, printer, larger hard drive, and several new packages of software as well. Once you understand basic photographic theory, you will may find that you also desire to process your images to their best in an image editor and them print them as well. Like Scott said, there is a tremendous new world to explore.

Welcome to dgrin!thumb.gif

I look forward to seeing your images improve as your knowledge grows.

Well I've been reading up on all those things but I need to keep on "studying". I've messed around with a Canon Rebel XTi but that was only for a short time. When I was messing around with it I never shot in the automatic modes, it was always manual but the outcome was never good. I plan to master the gear I have now and then go out and buy bigger and better glass. I have an Apple iMac desktop and an Apple MacBook pro laptop. I have just a regular printer, nothing special. Thanks for the welcome and I also look forward to seeing my skills develop as I further my knowledge in photography.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    More-or-less "inheriting" a new 5DmkII? That's a real gift and I can't think of a better way to honor someone's memory than to go forth and make some beautiful and stirring images.

I highly recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It's a pretty fab book that changed my shooting forever after winging it for 20 years. Also, if you can stand the extra expense, check out Adobe Lightroom (or Apple's Aperture).
    edited February 2, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    More-or-less "inheriting" a new 5DmkII? That's a real gift and I can't think of a better way to honor someone's memory than to go forth and make some beautiful and stirring images.

I highly recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It's a pretty fab book that changed my shooting forever after winging it for 20 years. Also, if you can stand the extra expense, check out Adobe Lightroom (or Apple's Aperture).

I could'nt have said it better myself.thumb.gif And thanks for the recommendation.
    edited February 2, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    I highly recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It's a pretty fab book that changed my shooting forever after winging it for 20 years.
    +1 on the book recommendation. Lots of good information and pictures demonstrating all the principles.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:

Your tripod is a good one, keep that. As for the ball head I can't speak for the 484, but I have the 488, and it's ok. I also have the RC4 vs the 2. I greatly prefer the 4. if oyu have the money, look into RRS ball heads. they are amazing.
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    +1 on Aperture 2. If you're a mac-savvy person, which you sound like you are, it's a great Apple post-processing and organizing program for your photos. I have the same camera setup as you, and dealing with 26 mb files, it's powerful and capable.

Congrats on the gift. Like the others have said, read up, learn your terminology, then shoot, shoot, shoot. I'm not a particularly experienced nor gifted photographer, and to continue learning about this wonderful camera which I've had for a month now, I go on excursions (even for an hour or so) with a goal of exploring settings rather than subject matter. My last wander was up a couple of downtown alleys and messing around with apertures to see what kind of depth of field and sharpness I could achieve.

And yes, this is a great forum. Tons of positive energy on Dgrin (appropriate, I guess). Good luck, and make sure above all, you have fun and don't set unrealistic expectations early on in your experiences.
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Sorry about the loss! :cry
    Congrats on a great camera! thumb.gif
    Time to learn the ropes! Knowledge *is* power! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    • Good glass
    • Better glass
    • More glass
    • Filters

check ... check ... check ... hehe it is true, but also fun :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:
    I can't comment on that ballhead, but I will tell you that the 24 - 105 is Canon's greatest "walking around" lens of all time IMO (and as Nik might confirm). With IS, you needn't be too hung up on camera shake. Just go out and shoot. . .
    edited February 3, 2009
    KED wrote:
    I can't comment on that ballhead, but I will tell you that the 24 - 105 is Canon's greatest "walking around" lens of all time IMO (and as Nik might confirm). With IS, you needn't be too hung up on camera shake. Just go out and shoot. . .
    Sorry, I can't... never had it..ne_nau.gif But I concur on IS, it's an awesome feature to have.
    edited February 4, 2009
    KED wrote:
    On a FF camera, I'm guessing ('cause I don't have a FF camera) that this is quite true. I have that lens and it's wonderful - a little tight on the short end on a 1.6 cropper, but it's sharp.

Of course on the 1.6 cropper, nothing beats the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.rolleyes1.gif
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Just so you have some clue of what you are letting yourself in for ... as you get deeper into photography - if you catch the affliction - you will find that you will need (at least that's what you'll tell your SOmwink.gif) most or all of the following:
    • Good glass
    • Better glass
    • More glass
    • Filters
    • Light meter
    • Gimbal head
    • Nodal slide
    • Flash mounts
    • Panning base
    • L-bracket
    • Vertical grip
    • Pelican hard cases
    • Extra memory cards
    • Extra batteries
    • Portable LCD viewer
    • Color printer
    • Color calibration unit
    • Filters
    • Teleconverters
    • Remote control
    • Books and workshops... rolleyes1.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    You'll have a blast with that camera, I'm currently trying to put aside some dough for one. Like many have said, reading will help you a bunch, but I would recommend one book, Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Volume 1. There is a ton of information in there and he even gives you some shooting pointers and techniques.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
    edited February 4, 2009
    Of course on the 1.6 cropper, nothing beats the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.rolleyes1.gif
    +1000000 15524779-Ti.gif