question regarding canon 70-200 4.0 non IS

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited February 3, 2009 in Cameras
I am thinking of buying a "used" canon 70-200 4.0 non IS. I have a question, is there a "new" or newer model available, if so, how do i know it is the new and not the old one? the reason i ask I am currently in vietnam and i was looking at this lens in a few shops in hanoi which were still selling the 20D and 30D. i didn't buy the lens but a week later i met a Canadian who had just bought the 70-200 in hanoi. he said he wasn't sure if he would use it because he likes wider lenses. anyway, i just talked to him and he said he was thinking of selling it. so, i was wondering how do i determine if the lens is the "latest" lens available? i am sure the lens is grey market.

is there anything else i should do / know before shelling out the cash for the lens?

cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Check the date code on the lens, it's on the metal mounting ring. Take that number and look it up on the net to see when it was made. that should give you a good start. Other than that, just make sure that there is no dust in the lens and no scratches on the glass, make sure the auto focus works...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 2, 2009
    As far as I know there is only one "version" of that lens without IS. As Candid Arts mentioned you can get the date of production from reviewing the date code on the lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/canon-lenses/canon-lens-aging.aspx
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    canon lens
    what do you think of the 24-105 canon lens Candid...
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    what do you think of the 24-105 canon lens Candid...

For the lenses I have...I LOVE it. It is extremely sharp, versitile, and just awesome. My one complaint about it is barrel creep, but that can't really be avoided. If I'm ever able to obtain the 70-200 2.8 IS, I'll be getting rid of the 24-105 to get the 24-70 2.8 as I want the 2.8 aperture. There have been few times where f/4 just didn't cut it. with the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8, I'll have it covered. Now, the 24-70 is a bit heavier, so if you do a lot of hiking and weight is an issue, the 24-105 is better. It's my primary lens that I use right now though, unless I'm doing huge landscape or whatever, I use my 10-22 (which I also LOVE!).

I'd love to get rid of my 24-105 right now for the 24-70 2.8, but I don't have any longer lenses so I gotta keep the 105 'till I get the 70-200 2.8 IS.

But, none of this I'm saying is discrediting the lens, it is great if you have light. I am going to be doing the AF microadjustment on my 50D when I have some time, so I'm hoping that will improve on the sharpness a bit. It's an incredible lens and many pro's keep this on their bodies a high percentage of the time.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    I recently purchased a 70-200 f4, (date code UW0319 to help you place where a new off the shelf lens would fit) and it's my new favourite lens. I don't know if you've got any experience with Ls or L telephotos, but just the difference in autofocus is astounding (and I have 4 other USM/HSM lenses). The image quality is probably the best I own, and that includes a 17-55 IS, a 10-22, and a sigma 150mm macro (compared this macro stopped down to the zoom wide open, no real sharpness difference, and I'd give the edge to the L for contrast)

There is only one model of the Canon EF 70-200 f4L that's ever been made. While I've heard some talk of "silent upgrades" of other lenses (100-400L in particular) that address minor concerns without creating a "mark II" release, I don't think I've heard any complaints about this lens that would have led to such a change.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    I visit Hanoi for business very often and find the photo equipment there is rather outdated and expensive. It seems a common problem for the developing countries where the information of new products are limited. I don't recommend to purchase there unless you stay there for years without means of travelling out to other countries.

The lens is great, sharp and light. You may wish to check the market price (from US websites) to determine the "fair" price to pay to the Canadian friend if you really want to buy from him.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    thanks everyone
    As always thanks for all the input. I think I have the information i need to make a decision. The reason i want the 4.0 is for the "weight" or lack thereof. I have a 135L 2.0 and a nifty 50 with me for my "fast lenses. I may be coming back to the states in a few months and may wait until I get back to get the lens. I probably have only a few more weeks of shooting here in Vietnam and should be able to get by with what I have. Though I look forward to getting the 70-200 L 4.0, for all i read it sounds like a great lens for the money.

Cheers,

David

http://www.fotosbydavid.com