My first shot

CanonKidCanonKid Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Well I went out this morning and got my first shot. It's nothing great but it's my first shot so go easy.

IMG_0538.jpg

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin! I hope this is the first of many posts from you! Is this a new camera?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • CanonKidCanonKid Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin! I hope this is the first of many posts from you! Is this a new camera?

Yes it is I inherited a Canon EOS 5D Mark II.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:
    Well I went out this morning and got my first shot. It's nothing great but it's my first shot so go easy.

Hi there CanonKid, so you got a new camera, well congratulations.
    It's really important that you read the manual over and over again.

Also look for tips on the web on what options people set with their cameras that might be of benefit to you as well.

Your first image doesn't appear to be in focus at all.
    Is this your first digital camera by any chance?

Well one thing you can count is that you will get better,
    the more familiar you get with your gear, the more you read, the more you shoot the more informed you will become.

Any chance you could tell us what settings you had the camera on?
    Auto? Manual? P Mode? other? and what ISO you were using as this shot looks very very grainy.

Keep Shooting, enjoy your new Camera, along with the forum thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Looks like the depth of field was very narrow ... how close did you get to the cactus (I believe it is a cactus) and was your aperture on F/4 (I believe you have the kit lens).

As Skippy said you need to read other and other the manuals it is also interesting to look for books at your local library for a starter about photography techniques, composition etc.

For us it is always interesting to have the informations such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture and focal length. Of course also in which mode you used your camera (full auto, CA, P, Tv, Av, M) if you begin I would recommend first to play with full auto and go incrementally to more advanced mode as you understand better the impact of each parameters.

This is a very good camera you have which is an amazing tool for doing nice pictures. Congrats and the secret is more to use it again and again to train yourself on the best way to transmit what you perceive to nice shots.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 3, 2009
    CanonKid wrote:
    Yes it is I inherited a Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

Funny, the EXIF data indicates that it was taken with an XTi. headscratch.gif

# Camera Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
  • CanonKidCanonKid Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Funny, the EXIF show this. headscratch.gif

# Camera Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi

Hmm, thats funny cause I had said I messed around with a Rebel XTi. Did you read that???thumb.gif