Options

First-time Lightroom edits!

manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited February 12, 2009 in Finishing School
Here are my first three serious attempts to use Lightroom. I bought the Scott Kelby book and have been following its instructions on how to do stuff. I've included before and after pics for each one. Please whip mercilessly. My biggest concern is that I am giving the photos too much of a "cartoony" look, improving contrast at the expense of "naturalness". Also, maybe I am overdoing it on the vignetting a little bit.

#1: A boring posed shot. Note the blown highlights on the faces and the overall washed-out look. This perfectly generic snapshot was taken with a Canon point-and-shoot.

466333885_w6Qtt-L.jpg

I tried to put more color into the picture and recover the highlights... but I don't think it worked too well.

466332800_NDQr8-L.jpg

#2: Saving an underexposed/backlit shot. This was taken with a D700 in JPEG mode.

466333505_wvTrs-L.jpg

Below, I think the person is now clearly separated from the background, but the face looks a little washed out and flat, and the hat coloring looks uneven (due to my poor skill at dodging with a trackpad).

466332519_WSAuo-L.jpg

#3: Working from RAW (the others were shot as JPEGs).
This was shot with the D700 in RAW mode. I like this photo and wanted to see how good I could make it look with Lightroom.

466341103_tx5ET-L.jpg

Below, I dodged the bud better this time, using Auto Mask, but maybe it's too bright, unnaturally bright?

466332942_NfmkF-L.jpg

Well, whaddya think? :ear
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    on the second one you need to bring the temperature down which will bring that orange tone out of his face.

you can do it either in Lightroom or using using Curves in Photoshop by finding Neutral grey and removing the color cast.
    Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography
  • Options
    manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    SCP wrote:
    on the second one you need to bring the temperature down which will bring that orange tone out of his face.

you can do it either in Lightroom or using using Curves in Photoshop by finding Neutral grey and removing the color cast.
    Finally some feedback -- thanks!!! thumb.gif

I will try adjusting the WB on the second one tonight.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • Options
    SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    I look forward to seeing what you come out with. Overall you did a good job Saving the photo from what I think is breath in front of his face. Just fix that orange cast and it will be perfect.
    Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    #1: A boring posed shot. Note the blown highlights on the faces and the overall washed-out look. This perfectly generic snapshot was taken with a Canon point-and-shoot. I tried to put more color into the picture and recover the highlights... but I don't think it worked too well.
    Instead of relying on Recovery alone to save the image, I suggest you try first dropping the overall exposure (holding "option" down while you do so to see the blown-out areas come back) and then use Fill Light, Contrast and a final touch of Brightness if necessary to re-establish the overall exposure.

With a little experimentation, including adding some Vibrancy, Clarity and Sharpness, you may get a better overall result.