Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Tahoe is such a beautiful place. The photos you see of it just can't do it justice. Additionally I had seen many, many postcards in all the coffee shops and sport stores, some of them breathtaking images taken by our own David and Marc Muench, too.

We didn't really have that much time to stalk the light. And we had some snowstorms. And it was really cold. But one sunny evening we just decided to heck with it, and go out.

The number of photographers around this area is only rivaled by the number of skiers and snowboarders. And we're not talking tourist photographers with their little point-and-shoots. We're talking true photo geeks who recognize a RRS pano head when they see it, folks plugged into The Know, large format pros, the works. Tahoe is truly a haven for the arts.

It's nice to have other fish in your sea.

That said, it's difficult to photograph something as iconical as Emerald Bay in a different way. Here's one take:

465954319_eBMUD-L.jpg

There's only one because I was out only one evening for the whole week. I may not be in these hills for another shoot for a while, but I know the snow and the slopes are calling me back.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Very nice, Schmoo - considering we had jack-squat for good light rolleyes1.gif

I got this the day prior, or two days, not sure, it's all a blur rolleyes1.gif

G10 IR Pano, handheld

466375659_hefFy-X2.jpg
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    very beautiful Schmoo, serene capture and very calming
    Aaron Nelson
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Beautiful ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    That is fantastic Schmoo! The choice of b/w makes this shot I think.

And what can I say about Andy's pano...wow.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    that is bang on!thumb.gif

It looks like the island is just floating in the sky. beautiful
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Schmoo you did good... The wind must have been low, the reflection is real sharp.

Very nicely done.

Rags
    Rags
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Schmoo, the island looks like it's floating in air about the trees, it's so clear and calm. Fabulous B&W!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Awesome Schmoo- Love the BW conversion and the island in the middle. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • GKR1GKR1 Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    The reflection of the island is just insaneiloveyou.gif
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    I love it. It looks like the island is floating in the sky.clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    frel wrote:
    I love it. It looks like the island is floating in the sky.clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • TsmithTsmith Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2009
    An outstanding photo!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    That photo is like an optical illusion, the island sometimes looks "normal" and other times like it's hovering, very cool!

Glad you survived the photo geek onslaught lol3.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Both photos are magnificent--it's why they call you "pros." Thanks for sharing your talents!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Very nice, Schmoo - considering we had jack-squat for good light rolleyes1.gif

I got this the day prior, or two days, not sure, it's all a blur rolleyes1.gif

G10 IR Pano, handheld

466375659_hefFy-X2.jpg

Fantastic shot Andy, you definitely made the most out of it! B&W and IR: For when the light doesn't cooperate :D
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Both photos are magnificent--it's why they call you "pros." Thanks for sharing your talents!
    15524779-Ti.gif Looking at your shots makes me feel really small but also push me to try harder and hopefully being able to do at least one shot like yours
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Thanks, guys! Yah even though I sat and froze and hiked and sat again and waited for the sunset, the light was a little disappointing. I saw one of Marc's shots from the area on a postcard, but realized too late he was shooting sunrise, not sunset :D

Andy's shot wins! I knew I should have traded a shift with Nick to use his IR-modded 30D. D'oh!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    These are awesome!!

I was just there last week! Could I have been one of the photo geeks she was talking about??headscratch.gif

464768368_xm3dV-XL.jpg

This one from the top of Eagle Falls

464768735_V4Lsf-XL.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Hey Mitch, I had no idea you were in the area!

I don't think I saw you if your avatar is any indication of what you look like. lol3.gif

I think the SmugMug straps might also have given us away. Still, great shots and it looks like you were there before (after?) the snow that was dumped on the area.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Mitch, I had no idea you were in the area!

I don't think I saw you if your avatar is any indication of what you look like. lol3.gif

I think the SmugMug straps might also have given us away. Still, great shots and it looks like you were there before (after?) the snow that was dumped on the area.

I skiied during the two days of heavy snow. My photos were taken last wednesday.

Did you climb down the falls? I didn't see any other photographers!headscratch.gif
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 4, 2009
    Oh my. I love this shot. I think you managed very successfully what you set out to do - find a different take on a famous subject. Excellent!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Wow, you got a shot that both Ansel and Douglas Adams would love. Very cool shot indeed
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 4, 2009
    Chillwag wrote:
    Wow, you got a shot that both Ansel and Douglas Adams would love. Very cool shot indeed
    I concur.rolleyes1.gif

Awesome shot there, Schmoo! thumb.gif

-joel