Options

Starting over - will a netbook have enough power?

GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited February 7, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
My 3 year old Thinkpad is starting to get a bit wonky, and things like the USB ports and PMCMIA wireless card are slowly causing problems. It has 512mb Ram, a 50GB hard drive, and a 1.6GHZ pentium, which has been enough for my web surfing, GPS software and Picasa.

In looking to replace it, I'm thinking about an Ideapad S10 netbook. I travel by motorcycle, so a small laptop would be ideal. I'll get a separate monitor for photo editing. Keyboards and mice can all run on bluetooth, so I shouldn't have much clutter on my desk. They ship with XP, which is nice.

I'm also looking at an Epson scannner for B&W negative scanning, which nets me a copy of PS Elements in the process.

So the big question - will the following run Elements without issues?

Ideapad S10
1.60GHZ
1GB RAM
160GB 5400RPM HD

Appreciate any input.

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Grainbelt wrote:

Ideapad S10
    1.60GHZ
    1GB RAM
    160GB 5400RPM HD

Appreciate any input.

No, it won't. At least not well enough to make you think that spending the money was worth it. You left off the word "ATOM" with respect to the S10's processor. As such, it's slower than the processor on your existing computer. With a big boy processor that netbook would be the same as your existing Thinkpad with a 512 upgrade. As such, it's a down-grade performance wise.

At the Dell Outlet (not sure that if that link will work) you can find an Inspiron 1318 for <$600 (google for a coupon and you'll save even more). That computer would have these specs:
    13" Screen (nice small sized laptop but big enough to see and have a normal sized keyboard, <5lbs.)
    Intel Core2Duo 2000
    250GB SATA Drive
    3GB RAM
    DVD Burner
    Wireless-G

You'll be much, much happier with something like this than with a netbook. (Other brands make computers with similar size/specs, but I haven't found any that can compete with the Dell outlet in price).
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    love my netbook but in no way does it handle photos nor would I ask it to. it's exactly that - a notebook pc for the NET. Not much else should be expected of these machines, nifty as they are in their small cuteness. :D
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    Oh, I understand that it will be slow. That said, I only process a 200 or so photos a month, max. Will it simply not run, or is it just a bit dopey?

If I get deeper into it, I can probably justify a cheap desktop at some point - I'm planning on a new monitor anyway. The odd batch of 100 photos is the only mildly resource-intensive thing I do on a computer, it is hard to throw extra $$ at an email and internet machine.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    This isn't intended to be a criticism, just an observation:

You want a netbook regardless of whether or not it can handle photo editing. :D And that's fine! Buy one if that's what you want; they have their good uses.

If you individually process 200 photos a month on a netbook you won't have time to drive anywhere. deal.gif Don't forget to consider the screen size and res either.

Remember too with a normal laptop (even a really cheap one) that you're really spending money on good things: full sized keyboard, higher res screen, better components and more storage space, etc. I'd buy a $300-400 laptop before I'd touch a netbook with a 10 foot pole. (I think that an iPod touch is a better value than netbooks.)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 5, 2009
    Grainbelt wrote:
    Oh, I understand that it will be slow. That said, I only process a 200 or so photos a month, max. Will it simply not run, or is it just a bit dopey?

Yes, it will run. I wouldn't expect it to be worse than your old ThinkPad running Elements, but probably not any better, either.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    This isn't intended to be a criticism, just an observation:

You want a netbook regardless of whether or not it can handle photo editing. :D And that's fine! Buy one if that's what you want; they have their good uses.

If you individually process 200 photos a month on a netbook you won't have time to drive anywhere. deal.gif Don't forget to consider the screen size and res either.

nod.gif

I won't deny it. They are cheap, and I want it for motorcycle trips anyway.

I'm planning to buy a new monitor when I buy the netbook, so I'll be able to check out the performance. If it is truly insufferable, adding a cheap, fast desktop to the arsenal should take care of things.

Thanks much for all the input. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    No worries! Enjoy the netbook and let us know about your experience after a few weeks. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised! :D
  • Options
    pstackpstack Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2009
    I recently purchased a S10e. I plan to use it as a backup to my primary machine, a Macbook and for portable display and storage, like an Epson p-6000. I can quickly transfer files to the mac using a crossover network cable. I also tested it shooting tethered and it worked fine. I did write more details here on the sportsshooter message board.
  • Options
    dwayne_bradleydwayne_bradley Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Rob Galbraith uses a Dell Mini 9 for some purposes
    You can read about it here:

A look at the evolving laptop display

For some uses, he says that it is perfect but just don't expect it to handle RAW file processing that well.

Dwayne
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Grainbelt wrote:

Ideapad S10
    1.60GHZ
    1GB RAM
    160GB 5400RPM HD

Appreciate any input.

This computer will be somewhat slower than your thinkpad because of the
    Atom Processor but the harddrive and increased ram (why not 2GB?) will
    compensate for this. In my experience ram is the most important factor for
    photo editing.

For comparison I have an Asus eeePC with a 900Mhz Atom processor and
    1GB ram and 160GB hdd and it works rather well with picasa for editing
    a large volume of jpeg files (I don't have PS on it).

But if you intend to do color critical post processing you will soon run into
    problems with the lower end displays they use in those netbooks. Then I
    would recommend a home computer and/or a calibrated external display
    for the netbook.

If I was you however I would buy a normal notebook in the 12-13" class
    (MacBook, Thinkpad X Series) with 2.2Ghz Core2Duo or faster processor.
    The speed difference will save you from frustration when editing larger raw
    files and the displays are pretty good with proper color calibration. You
    don't need to buy an external monitor. You also have the option of upgrading
    the harddrive if necessary and ram to 4GB any time later.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston