What flashes should I get for the gym?

pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 10, 2009 in Sports
I shot a basketball game using a Canon 580EXI, ST-E2, and 5DMKII yesterday. I was happy with the results. I would like to have another setup for the gym and keep the Canon gear with ST-E2 for indoor studio work. The Canon ST-E2 doesn't work well in the gym anyway.

I plan to get Elinchrom Skyports instead of Pocket Wizards BUT what flash should I get that has a PC sockets? I don't want it to be expensive and I want it battery powered.

Thanks in advance.
I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar

Comments

• kenyahudsonkenyahudson Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Strobist explains the minimum requirements needed from a flash: a pc sync terminal and manual control. I already had a Canon 430EX, but it does not have a sync terminal. You can buy an external adapter for it though. Instead, I purchased two Nikon SB-24s for under $150 total at KEH. While they already have PC sync terminals, I still needed pc-to-miniphone cords (B&H Model No: PAPM5) to connect them to the Skyports. An online discussion of the reason including pics of the flashes and the Skyport cords is here. Excerpted below is a portion of the linked discussion.
    The three cords included with the Skyport are for:
    1) Connecting sync from a camera or lens to the transmitter for the many cameras that do not have a hotshoe.
    2) Connecting the Skyport receiver to Elinchrom's own relatively inexpensive D-Lite flash units.
    3) Connecting the Skyport receiver to Elinchrom's own more expensive studio flash units.

The Nikon SB-24s tilt and swivel and have worked well for basketball with super-clamps and quick pj portraits on a light stand. They take four AA batteries each. I am looking into a separate powerpack or adapter for them. If I need to work with a lighter kit or want to use ETTL, I take the 430EX and an off-shoe cord.
    Photos: http://www.kenyahudson.com
    Profiles: Lightstalkers | Sportsshooter
    Gear:
    Canon 40D | Canon 350D | Tokina 17/3.5 | Sigma 30mm/1.4 | EF 50mm/1.4 | EF 85mm/1.8 | EF 200mm/2.8L II | EF 300mm/4.0L | Canonet QL 17 GIII | Yashica 635 | Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter & Triggers | Canon 430EX | Nikon SB-24 (x2) | Bogen 3208 Tripod
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    why not just keep bulk down and get an ff/1.4 or 1.8 lens?
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009

thumb.gif15524779-Ti.gif
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
  • pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009

I'm still gathering experience so bear with me. Two weeks ago I shot with a 85mm f/1.8 using no flash. My photos needed lots of post work and I'm still not sure if I'm happy with the WB.
    Using the Flash last Sunday gave shots that were crisp and had nice contrast. I had shadows all over the place so I'll be experimenting with two flashes next time. I also spent less time in post.
    This is just my newbie sports photography experience. I'm sure I have a lots to learn.

Thanks for the info Kenya. I have a 540EZ, 580EXI, and a 430EX. None of them have PC jacks but I might try out CACTUS Wireless Flash Triggers. Their version 2 is more Canon flash friendly and use hotshoes. So far I've read 'ok' things baout this product. I just might need to extend the range with a do-it-yourself hack.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
  • MurrayMcMurrayMc Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2009
    Your question is good. In thinking about what flashes to select to use in "a gym", it is key to consider what sports you will shoot, and in what gyms. Make sure that flash is allowed at the venues you intend to visit most often.

My experience shooting volleyball and basketball at the university level is that flash is not allowed. Not at all. So my kit contains fast lenses and a camera that works pretty well shooting in the higher ISO ranges. And as you have noted, even at that a fair amount of post shooting work is usually required. For some championship or large tournament games (for the sports I mentioned), strobes are allowed, but only for the "official" photographer engaged to do the shoot.

I have had a limited opportunity to use my 580 EX II for grappling and wrestling, and take your point that shadows are an issue with the single flash. I unfortunately don't have the experience to give you any useful hints on setting up a second flash to resolve this challenge.

Murray
    www.murraymccomb.com
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    I love my 50mm 1.4. BUT, I can't wait to try some strobes and lower my ISO and see what I get. I am still learning this trade but the following have no strobe.

470663453_fF4Vo-L.jpg

468984033_maZ4u-L.jpg

464919874_SGxRJ-L-3.jpg
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I use two sets of these. Nikon SB800s triggered by pocketwizards:

464613475_DiKrh-L.jpg
    Tim
    Troy, MI