Maine Feb 7-21 -- Looking for meetups or suggestions

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited February 6, 2009 in Landscapes
I posted a request in the Location forum also: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1033389#post1033389

I will be in Richmond ME (north of Brunswick) for the next 2 weeks. I would like some suggestions on where I could shoot, realizing the weather has been pretty bad lately. I have been keeping up with the thread on HOW to shoot during winter, but if any of you New England landscape photogs have suggestions where I might go during this visit, I'd appreciate it.

I am familiar with the mid-coast area but have not shot there except in summer and fall. Is there any good shooting on the coast at this time of year? What time of day? What subjects might be worth pursuing?

Any suggestions are welcomed. If anyone is interested in a meetup, please let me know and we'll try to work something out.

Many thanks to all!
Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    I found that lighthouses are always worth the trip no mater what time of year it is, also there is some thing about ice and moving water together. As to when to shoot this time of year sunrise is often quite nice also it comes late 0600 in instead of 0430. If you get a really cold morning find a harbor to get the sea smoke rising off the water. Sunset can be nice as well. In Bath ME not far from were you are staying is Bath Iron Works where they build destroyers for the US Navy, not sure how they feel about people taking pictures of the shipyard but it might be a cool place to check out. I live in Belfast which is about 1.5 hours from Brunswick and there is Fort Knox build to protect the Penobscot River from the Brittish. Hope this helps some... I tend to have free time in the begining of the week, so send me a PM if you want to meet up.
  • hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    If you want some local color in your shoots, Camden harbor as well as Boothbay Harbor (both not far from Richmond) are slam dunks. Aside from that I'd suggest simply driving down any of the very long fingers extending South from the Bath/Brunswick area (and slightly East) between the rivers and bays. They've each got their own flavor, but they're all bound to give you some opportunity for shots. If you want to head a little farther East, the Port Clyde area is gorgeous (and there's a lighthouse, of course). It's probably only a slightly longer drive than Camden from Richmond.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    thanks to you both--great suggestions!

Photopaddler -- I will get in touch about possible meetup. Thanks!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com