Options

Is it possible to blend two effects...

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited February 6, 2009 in Finishing School
Say you have a normal photo and you want blend in a drastically different effect on part of the photo like a metal embossing type effect.
Is there any way to make it look like an even blended transition over say 1/4 of the frame?
So you would have 2/3 normal looking photo 1/3 metal embossing effect with a smooth blended transition between the two different looks?
Feel free to show an example of the effect if so inclined.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    In PS, create duplicate layers. Make adjustments to one layer, and then erase what you don't want from that layer to partially expose the unchanged layer underneath. I make lots of mistakes, so often create a tweaked layer and then duplicate it. Make one tweaked layer invisible, and then make changes to the other. If it gets hopeless, you still have one in reserve (although stepping backwards can also get you there).

Attached is a simple example.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    I make lots of mistakes, so often create a tweaked layer and then duplicate it.

An easier way to do the same thing is with layer masks. With the effects on the top layer, assign a layer mask to the top layer, and fill it with black (this masks out the entire upper layer). Then set a brush tool of the appropriate size (and soft) to white at a low flow. Paint over the mask to reveal more of the effect. Alternatively, set the mask to white to reveal all of the effect, and paint black into the mask at a low flow. If you make a mistake, you haven't lost anything. You can undo by painting with the opposite color.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 5, 2009
    Yes, masks are what you need. I would add to what John said that once you have created a mask, there are several ways that you can create a smooth transition. The most direct way is to apply a large radius Gaussian blur to the mask itself. You could also load the mask as a selection, use the refine edges command, then save the selection as a new mask. As usual, there are many ways to accomplish the same thing in PS.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    jjbong wrote:
    An easier way to do the same thing is with layer masks. With the effects on the top layer, assign a layer mask to the top layer, and fill it with black (this masks out the entire upper layer). Then set a brush tool of the appropriate size (and soft) to white at a low flow. Paint over the mask to reveal more of the effect. Alternatively, set the mask to white to reveal all of the effect, and paint black into the mask at a low flow. If you make a mistake, you haven't lost anything. You can undo by painting with the opposite color.

THANK YOU!! bowdown.gif

....so little time.....so much to learn! :D
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Richard - Off topic. Love your avatar. How did you do it?
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 6, 2009
    jjbong wrote:
    Richard - Off topic. Love your avatar. How did you do it?
    I don't want to hijack this thread. Basically, it's just a composite of a self-portrait and a shot of an old fountain. Send me a PM if you are interested in the gory details and I'd be glad to share.