#18 low key - feedback plz

dimitra72dimitra72 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited February 5, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my first dgrin challenge, so I'm jumpin in!

This wasn't my initial goal with my daughter this morning for low key, but I thought the "Irish Temper" was good for the mood of the low key.

Any feedback is appreciated! TIA

Diane

467675964_P8gfP-L-0.jpg

Shot with Canon 40D, 800 ISO, 1/125s f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8 lens at 75mm

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Irish temper..Hey thats funny!

Cute kid too!

I'm not sure if the mood low key fits this thought process??
    tom wise
  • dimitra72dimitra72 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Irish temper..Hey thats funny!

Cute kid too!

I'm not sure if the mood low key fits this thought process??

Thanks!

I originally had the intention to take a solom (sp??) pic but I thought frustration would be another "dark" mood. No?
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    dimitra72 wrote:
    Thanks!

I originally had the intention to take a solom (sp??) pic but I thought frustration would be another "dark" mood. No?

Hi dimitra! Great subject! I like what you've done with texture here on the dress (?) and I think the deep shadows with highlights on just the folds and creases put the image squarely in "low key" domain. The more or less direct front light on the face and hand seem to contradict the low key "solemn" mood, however. Side or diagonal light on the face might help. And it's a little hard for me to tell what's going on here (what the child is doing). A descriptive title might help in that regard.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    You've done well to keep the details in the dark areas. It's a cute shot thumb.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• dimitra72dimitra72 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Hi dimitra! Great subject! I like what you've done with texture here on the dress (?) and I think the deep shadows with highlights on just the folds and creases put the image squarely in "low key" domain. The more or less direct front light on the face and hand seem to contradict the low key "solemn" mood, however. Side or diagonal light on the face might help. And it's a little hard for me to tell what's going on here (what the child is doing). A descriptive title might help in that regard.

Thanks for the feedback! It's a velvet scarf that has gathers over her head and I wanted to have her be serious with it over her head...but being 1/2 Irish (my husband's side! Laughing.gif!), she BODLY told me she didn't want to - hence this pic! I (obviously) didn't make it to the solemn (thanks for the correction!) pic, but thought this was along the "dark" meaning of low key. I thought low key was used to portray dark feelings, right? Thanks again!