Options

PM Question - High-Key setup?

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Technique
Got a PM question:
Hi Scott,

I've been checking out Zack Arias' site, and I saw your setup for Hi Key pics. I am getting ready to set up a studio very similar to that (I love the different background options it would give) and need to get some quality AB lights. I have a few questions I hope you can help me with....

1. I need 3 lights. I'm tempted to go with 3 AB 800's because of the price, but I wonder if I'm better off getting 3 AB 1600's because you can always stop down the power, but can't always go up if I get a weaker light... what would your thoughts be?

2. What modifiers/softboxes/reflectors/etc do you put on your lights? What do you use on the background and what softbox did you use in the foreground? It wasn't mentioned in the tutorial by Zack, and since you've tried it, what did you find worked best?

Thanks for taking time to chat with me!!
1. First, if you are setting up in something smaller then the standard middle school gym, you are probably safe with the AB800 strobes. I would further guess that you would be just fine in any "small" studio with the AB400 strobes. I have the AB800 strobes. Second, I've NEVER used my ABs above about 3/4 power - even when using them to light up a whole wedding reception (using just two of them). Third, the difference between the AB800 and the AB1600 is, nominally, only 1 stop - not enough to worry about. Fourth, true you can always dial them down, but then the question becomes, "To what extent can you dial them down?" Remember the one stop difference. Well, it works both ways. You can only dial them down so far as the slider goes from full power to 1/32 power - not to zero.

2. Modifiers: In studio, I use softboxes and shoot-through brellies. Sometimes, I use the umbies as reflecting umbies. In the hi-key set up, I have a pair of bi-fold doors, one side of which is painted white - that makes them reflectors! I usually don't use reflectors in studio. I do use them on location. But I don't use the ABs on location (except receptions), rather I will use either 580EX or Sunpak 622 flashes. In the hi-key setup, I used unmodified AB800 x 2. Lighting the subject with a pair of AB800 with softboxes.