Options

How to pick your own wedding photographer?

aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited February 12, 2009 in Weddings
Ok, so I am getting married next year and I have been looking around for some photographer's and videographer's (which by the way I have no idea about videographer's) but anyhow, how does one truly pick a photographer without being to much of a b****!

Yes I am still at my learning curve but I am not stupid by no means and know what it takes to get a GREAT shot, and by God I do not want anyone who is using auto on everything...

You know if you are going to buy a $1000 or more camera why do you always use it on auto, you need to explore and move that button to manual...

So how can I say it nicely or should I even ask if they are truly using Auto or Manual? And I am all for photoshop but when someone sits there and tells me "well it doesn't matter how your picture turns out I can always fix it with photoshop" that kinda bother's me a bit. I want someone who can at least take the pic and only has to fix minor flaws, not sit there and not care about how the pic turns out...

Ok am I wrong on all this, should I just look at their portfolio and go from there?

I for sure don't want to be a BRIDEZILLA!!!! But the party will come and go, but the pictures will stay forever!

What do I do???????

Nikon D90
Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
SB-600 Flash

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Look at Pro's work..forget the novices. Chemistry between you, your future hubby and photographer is a must. Auto mode? What's that?...Laughing.gif. Obviously if someone suggests they can shoot any which way then fix it later in PS is dilusional. We all try to get it as close as possible in camera first, then one has the magic tools in PS to make the image(s) stellar.

Be specific in your ideas, desires, expectations but still leave enough room for fun and artistic vision with your photographer. We all have different styles, personalities and the like. Finding one that "clicks" with you is of upmost importance, then things like camera settings won't be an issue. Wedding and event photographers "know" how to achieve the looks they are after and sometimes after we get the "safe" shots, we like to play around with some interesting lighting, looks and poses.

Your wedding day is not only one of the biggest days of your life but also should be a fun filled day, celebrating your joy with family and friends. A photographer who's privy to that concept will capture many wonderful emotions that you'll cherish for a lifetime. With the stress and time schedules you endure throughout the day (not to mention all the planning ahead of time) the last thing you should worry about is if the photographer will get the "shots". Be at ease, enjoy, trust. Find the right one for you.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    If you like their final results and their price as well as their personality, then I think you will have found your photographer. Great advice for anyone even a photographer.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    Thanks for all the input... I guess we will be on the interviewing stage for the next few months... My fiance really doesn't care he just wants to make sure they know how to take picture's. And I want to make sure they know how!!!

I have interviewed a few and I just walk away quitely thinking to myself "really"... and I am by no means a GREAT photographer, I am just a newbie trying to learn more about digital... But I do want a GREAT photographer that is GREAT in my eye's, because I know everyone will have their own opinion on what they think great is....

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    dimitra72dimitra72 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Deep breath!!!
    aim&shoot wrote:
    Ok, so I am getting married next year and I have been looking around for some photographer's and videographer's (which by the way I have no idea about videographer's) but anyhow, how does one truly pick a photographer without being to much of a b****!

Yes I am still at my learning curve but I am not stupid by no means and know what it takes to get a GREAT shot, and by God I do not want anyone who is using auto on everything...

You know if you are going to buy a $1000 or more camera why do you always use it on auto, you need to explore and move that button to manual...

So how can I say it nicely or should I even ask if they are truly using Auto or Manual? And I am all for photoshop but when someone sits there and tells me "well it doesn't matter how your picture turns out I can always fix it with photoshop" that kinda bother's me a bit. I want someone who can at least take the pic and only has to fix minor flaws, not sit there and not care about how the pic turns out...

Ok am I wrong on all this, should I just look at their portfolio and go from there?

I for sure don't want to be a BRIDEZILLA!!!! But the party will come and go, but the pictures will stay forever!

What do I do???????

I think you're over-analyzing! You know what to look for and your looking too deep. Think like a bride with photographic knowledge not a photographer with wedding knowledge. First and formost - do you like their work? next, do you like their personality? Auto vs. manual - the last thing you should worry about as everyone switches it to auto during crutial moments (it's the really pompous ones that won't admit it...). A true pro will do ANYTHING TO GET THE SHOT - and it doesn't matter whether it was auto or manual (do you really think an "average" bride cares whether the photog stopped down to get the sunset or bracketed? No! They just love the final pic).

As for the PhotoShop debate - ask to see a proof book. That will answer your questions because proofs are untouched.

But most of all, relax and enjoy the planning process!thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    OK, I'm a wedding photographer and I'm sure I'm going to have to look into this question sooner or later as my son starts getting ready to get married. I've given it a little thought. These thoughts are likely to mirror what has already been said, but they are mine - so there :D
    1. Product - does his/her portfolio look like something you would like for yourself?
    2. Portfolio - does his/her portfolio include shots from just one or two weddings or from a larger number of them. If from a small number, you have to wonder whether he/she has the experience you want or if the bulk of his work won't bear up under the light of day.
    3. Is he/she fun to talk to? If you can't talk to him/her and LAUGH, then there is a decent chance this person is not for you. Your day should be fun and you need to be able to have fun with your photographer in close proximity.
    4. Does he/she get along with your future husband. Some people, especially guys, have problems relaxing the "right way" with other guys around - especially if they feel they are being evaluated.
    5. It doesn't matter how many shots, within reason, it takes the photographer to get the shot. What matters is that he/she gets the shots. If you know the sort of shots you would like to get, ask the prospective photographer for some of his examples of that sort of shot - has he/she done one or more of them and can he/she repeat the performance for you without taking all day to do it.
    6. There are some equipment questions that may be pertinent. For example, if you don't like the look produced by on-camera flash ask how the prospective photographer lights his events.
    7. Does his/her equipment support enlargements up to (or beyond) 16x20 - or whatever max size you might like to have? If not, time to move on to the next one.
    8. How does the photographer feel about flash during the ceremony? Does the portfolio support his answer? Does his/her answer fit in with your vision of your ceremony?
    9. Do you want your photographer to be unobtrusive? Or, would your rather he/she move in close and get the "close shots" during the ceremony? Does the portfolio support his/her claimed practice?
    10. When I start the process of helping my son and future daughter-in-law with this question, one of the very important criteria is, "Is the photographer a hopeless romantic?" And, can he/she prove it. My feeling is that a romantic has a better chance of getting the romantic shots that will warm the heart in years to come. But, that's just me. Oh, BTW - I am a hopeless romantice. I have had some tears in my eyes at times - luckily I've been able to control them such that they never interfered with getting the shot.
    Bottom line, the photographer must be able to see your vision, be able to contribute to it with inspiration of his/her own, and have the product/portfolio/equipment to provide you with the confidence that he/she can and will do the job for you.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    In addition to what's been said.... good job Scott....If you find a photog you think you like, maybe see if they will do some engagement photo's. This way you get to work with them to see if you are compatible and you get to see a final product. If you are worried about auto vs manual you can glance at the camera.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    In addition to what's been said.... good job Scott....If you find a photog you think you like, maybe see if they will do some engagement photo's. This way you get to work with them to see if you are compatible and you get to see a final product. If you are worried about auto vs manual you can glance at the camera.

Good idea- I always encourage my B & G to evaluate my e-sessions. But usually they want to book me as soon as can be.

On the auto/manual debate... I have read in several digital wedding photographer instructional books that it is good to know how to use manual, but auto is often better during the hairy scary times so you can focus on composition, posing and all that stuff. Me... I don't go that far. I do some of both.... depending on the need. (confessional time) Most often I use M, Av, Tv, or P. There! Does that narrow it down for you!?

I would take Scott's advice on what to look for and stop stressing yourself out about it. Also, ask around and get some recommendations from people you know and have good taste.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Scott has given wonderful advice.
    You should only worry about the important stuff. Also keep the intangibles in mind. How long will the photographer take to show you your proofs. How long until the final images will be in hand.
    References from other couples. Can the photographer work with and without the flash. Some churches limit what lighting can be used.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    Thanks to all... I have lot's to think about and yes I am probrably worrying too much about this part of the planning. I guess I worry to much because this is my second marriage and the photographer I thought I had chosen back than was a good photographer as least I thought, well I got burned and he sent another person to take my pictures that really knew nothing and stayed on Auto the whole time, well needless to say I could not do anything at that moment she was all I had, so we got pics just not the one's we thought we would get.... (hmmm maybe that's why we got a divorce.. lol just kiddin)

So I am skeptical and picky as to who I choose now...

I know everyone will go on auto mode on a few shots, and I truly don't mind that part, it's just I have interviewed a few and I am amazed at what they are telling me and showing me.

I will keep all this in mind as I go on my hunt.... And really try to be open minded and just try to find someone I think would do the job w/out me being a BRIDEZILLA!!!

Thanks for all the input!!!

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Credentials
    You might ask the photographer about memberships, recent classes and conferences to see if they are following trends in the industry to see theirl level of committment. The better organizations for wedding photographers that are not also pseudo advertising sites are Digital Wedding Forum, Wedding and Portrati Photographers International and PPA (Professional Phographers of America).

You want someone who will also be professional and be there timely. See if they are organized to observe how they operate. Find out if they have insurance for thinkgs like their gear, liability and errors and omissions, , a business license - the things that are hallmarks of professionalism.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    You might ask the photographer about memberships, recent classes and conferences to see if they are following trends in the industry to see theirl level of committment. The better organizations for wedding photographers that are not also pseudo advertising sites are Digital Wedding Forum, Wedding and Portrati Photographers International and PPA (Professional Phographers of America).

You want someone who will also be professional and be there timely. See if they are organized to observe how they operate. Find out if they have insurance for thinkgs like their gear, liability and errors and omissions, , a business license - the things that are hallmarks of professionalism.

Didn't think about those, good idea's!

Thanks

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    When I start the process of helping my son and future daughter-in-law with this question, one of the very important criteria is, "Is the photographer a hopeless romantic?" And, can he/she prove it. My feeling is that a romantic has a better chance of getting the romantic shots that will warm the heart in years to come. But, that's just me. Oh, BTW - I am a hopeless romantice. I have had some tears in my eyes at times - luckily I've been able to control them such that they never interfered with getting the shot.

This point alone has secured, bookings and referrals from guests and the b&g and the wedding part etc...of weddings that I've worked! thumb.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    I don't know you or your budget so I am hesitant to make assumptions, but it sounds like based on the statements about photoshop, experience, etc you're getting from these photographers, is that you are shopping in the wrong price range if you want someone who is truly a legitimate professional with sufficient experience.

I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune, but when you meet with someone who is calling themselves a professional photographer...it should be ABUNDANTLY clear from the quality of their samples, their photos, their final products, their website....whether they can back that up or not. If you have to ask questions about their skills...that is your answer...as you well know, there are no "do overs" at a wedding!

Good luck!

Maybe if you post your location and price range, we can refer you to someone we know in that area...?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    Maybe if you post your location and price range, we can refer you to someone we know in that area...?
    Now, why didn't I think of that?thumb.gifbow
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Ask to see lots of examples from several different weddings.
    I see a lot of photographer sites with very few samples on there, not good.
    They need to have a few years of experience as well.
    What mode they use is of no consequence, what matters is how the work looks.
    Personality is a plus but for great pictures that is something that should not be of the highest importance, I would not disqualify an excellent photographer because he didn't have a great fun personality.

If the work is good (after viewing lots of samples) the price is right, will probably be expensive, (some expensive photographers are horrible) and he has a good track record (as evidenced by calling at least 3 references that he will give you of weddings that he shot) then you are probably on the right track.

Also make sure you are going to get the pictures in the format that you want them. Will he give them to you in full resolution on a disk (or will it cost extra) or will he hold them hostage and charge you an arm and a leg everytime you want a print.

If it were me I would try to work with a photographer who has all his packages fully laid out on a price sheet or posted on his site. Otherwise it can feel like dealing with a used car salesman and surprises can happen.
    Lastly get everything you believe to be true and everything the photographer says he will do in writing.

Lots of good advice in this thread, I am sure you will find someone great.
    Good luck with your search!!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    Thanks...

The one's I have interviewed so far, their packages were running over $1500. I really have not set a budget for photography, because I know if I do than I could be limited on what I would want. So we have kinda left that open. If I find someone that really pops out at me and I just have to have them, than that's who I will get. Everything else has a semi-budget though... ha ha...

I am going to have to write down all these idea's and questions down, so I can have them ready for my other interviews!

I actually live in Quinlan, Tx which is about 30miles outside of Dallas!

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    aim&shoot wrote:
    Thanks...

The one's I have interviewed so far, their packages were running over $1500. I really have not set a budget for photography, because I know if I do than I could be limited on what I would want. So we have kinda left that open. If I find someone that really pops out at me and I just have to have them, than that's who I will get. Everything else has a semi-budget though... ha ha...

I am going to have to write down all these idea's and questions down, so I can have them ready for my other interviews!

I actually live in Quinlan, Tx which is about 30miles outside of Dallas!

PM sent
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    I think maybe you should look at this guy. He goes by the handle Zoomer on this forum. Here's a link to his weddings page on his website.

He's out of Boise, but will travel.

You be the judge.

http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Weddings

Hope this helps.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    I think maybe you should look at this guy. He goes by the handle Zoomer on this forum. Here's a link to his weddings page on his website.

He's out of Boise, but will travel.

You be the judge.

http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Weddings

Hope this helps.

Just looked at his site, WOW, I like the pics... Guess I am going to have to find out what he will charge to travel over this way... But that surely is someone I would love to get....

Thanks for the info...

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Hi Aim&Shoot, (didn't catch your name?)

I'm actually in YOUR boat. I guess it's a big boat... My wedding is April 4th, less than 60 days away!

When it came time for me to find a photographer, I simply went with the person whose work I have admired for the longest time, the person who more or less got me into wedding photography in the first place...

I really had a dilemma because I know SOOO many local photographers who take really good photos, but they've all been in business for fewer years than myself! (Or, they charge an arm and a leg. I live in OC, heheh...)

I just realized that what was most important to me was experience and consistency. As a wedding photographer myself, I know just how easy it is to blog 2-3 pics and make yourself look like the world's best photographer.

So I went with the person whose blog I'd followed for years, and who consistently posted tons and tons of awesome wedding photos from every single wedding they shot.

Whatever you do, don't just search on Google / Craigslist and "shop", and interview, etc... Hire someone who can be HIGHLY recommended to you by someone you know or trust.

That's how I like to get MY wedding photography business, and that's what I try and work towards in general.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hi Aim&Shoot, (didn't catch your name?)

I'm actually in YOUR boat. I guess it's a big boat... My wedding is April 4th, less than 60 days away!

When it came time for me to find a photographer, I simply went with the person whose work I have admired for the longest time, the person who more or less got me into wedding photography in the first place...

I really had a dilemma because I know SOOO many local photographers who take really good photos, but they've all been in business for fewer years than myself! (Or, they charge an arm and a leg. I live in OC, heheh...)

I just realized that what was most important to me was experience and consistency. As a wedding photographer myself, I know just how easy it is to blog 2-3 pics and make yourself look like the world's best photographer.

So I went with the person whose blog I'd followed for years, and who consistently posted tons and tons of awesome wedding photos from every single wedding they shot.

Whatever you do, don't just search on Google / Craigslist and "shop", and interview, etc... Hire someone who can be HIGHLY recommended to you by someone you know or trust.

That's how I like to get MY wedding photography business, and that's what I try and work towards in general.

=Matt=

My name is Zuly...

I've been looking at site's and look to see if they have more than one wedding / event on there that I could compare, and to see how many they have done... Those are the one's I would interview with and see what else they can show me, and who would actually photograph the event... Because there are some photographer's that will have their assistant's/ other photographer's do the wedding and don't show any of their work...

Unfortunately, I don't think I could ask anyone for a referral, because the people I know are not that into how the picture's are taken and want the cheapest they can get... And I have seen some of those pic's and even though they think they are ok, I keep my mouth shut and move on...

I have a very different way that I look at photography, well all photographer's do that's what make's their workdifferent then other's...

I know I am still learning a bit about digital, but I have been taking picture's since '01 with another photographer, and of course film... So I have seen alot and know what all should be in a picture non the less, I guess that's what make's me soooo picky....

I wish I could find the photographer I worked for, but haven't been able to...

Well thanks for the adivce / input, I will definately keep it in mind...

Thanks

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    headscratch.gif I believe I've seen some indicators that you are looking for a fantastic experienced wedding photographer for less than $ 1500.00. In most areas that I'm familiar with that won't buy much. Maybe I missed something?
    bsvirginianeek7.gif
    aim&shoot wrote:
    My name is Zuly...

I've been looking at site's and look to see if they have more than one wedding / event on there that I could compare, and to see how many they have done... Those are the one's I would interview with and see what else they can show me, and who would actually photograph the event... Because there are some photographer's that will have their assistant's/ other photographer's do the wedding and don't show any of their work...

Unfortunately, I don't think I could ask anyone for a referral, because the people I know are not that into how the picture's are taken and want the cheapest they can get... And I have seen some of those pic's and even though they think they are ok, I keep my mouth shut and move on...

I have a very different way that I look at photography, well all photographer's do that's what make's their workdifferent then other's...

I know I am still learning a bit about digital, but I have been taking picture's since '01 with another photographer, and of course film... So I have seen alot and know what all should be in a picture non the less, I guess that's what make's me soooo picky....

I wish I could find the photographer I worked for, but haven't been able to...

Well thanks for the adivce / input, I will definately keep it in mind...

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    headscratch.gif I believe I've seen some indicators that you are looking for a fantastic experienced wedding photographer for less than $ 1500.00. In most areas that I'm familiar with that won't buy much. Maybe I missed something?
    bsvirginianeek7.gif

No, I don't have a budget for a photographer... What I said was that there were a few photographer's that I had interviewed that really didn't meet my expectation's and they were charging a bit over $1500...

I know it's going to take some mulah to get the photographer I want! I went to see those photographer's because some friends of mine thought they were good... But as mentioned in a previous post I have a different eye than they do, and it just wasn't a fit for me....

Thanks

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Just to help you out. Up here in Ontario, I am charging $750.00 for a full days coverage plus the reception. Travel is on top of that.

I charge so low because I am building a portfolio and I am upfront with my brides about this. So, you can imagine what someone with the experience you are asking will be charging... mwink.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Just to help you out. Up here in Ontario, I am charging $750.00 for a full days coverage plus the reception. Travel is on top of that.

I charge so low because I am building a portfolio and I am upfront with my brides about this. So, you can imagine what someone with the experience you are asking will be charging... mwink.gif

Yes, I am well aware... I know it will cost, but I would rather spend a little less on something else that will be gone and forgotten, than have picture's that are going to tell the story forever..

I know I am being picky, but we are not having a traditional wedding, I am wearing a 19th century dress and just doing thing's you would not normally see at a wedding... And I want to make sure it is all captured, the way it's suppose to be.

I have come across a few that would be ok, and their prices weren't so bad, but I want more than ok, I want to be blown away...

You know when you go hospital's sometime's they have intern's look at you rather than the Doctor's, even though I am all about helping the intern's so they can learn I want that Dr. in there just to make sure they are doing it right...

So I really wouldn't mind a photographer that is learning because I am still learning a lot myself, and I welcome anyone who could use it as an experience. But I would still want that Dr. there...

I mean am I being to tough or mean, I'm really trying not to be.. We are pretty much open minded about almost everything... All we want is to look at someone't portfolio and say WOW those are the kind of picture's we want taken at our wedding.

You know what I mean?

Well don't sale yourself to short for very long... The way you capture other's show's in your shot's and anyone would be lucky to have you as a photographer, as far as I can see!!!

I'm sure your client's would be able to tell an amatuer just with a camera vs some of the shot's you show.

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    I looked at the site that was suggested here and their work is very good. Especially for the prices listed. Just remember that in order to get a wedding that looks like that you will have to give the photographer adequate time and settings. Most weddings are rushed and many photographers do not get the opportunity to show what they can really do. Be sure to ask who will actually be shooting the wedding and be sure to look at their work. Many studios have more than one shooter and sometimes hire fillins when they over book. Web sites can be truly deceptive but it can work both ways. You can be looking at the one shot that just turned out right but that won't make them a good photographer. On the other hand they might not have the time, knowledge or desire to deal with a website. That does'nt mean they are'nt good at what they do. You will have to set a price range in order to narrow down the field a bit. Be sure to look at after the fact cost. A 1500.00 wedding may not look so good later if the prints cost a fortune. Get the details and and talk to a couple of their recent clients. If they are truely good they won't mind giving you refrences.
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Just my $.02, and thats about all its worth. I would not make experience as a "Wedding" photographer the end all be all of the decision process. You need to remember that at some point everyone had to shoot their first wedding. Could you imagine not hiring Shay, Lynn, or Scott when they had only a few weddings under their belts, you'd have been a fool. To me talent is evidnet in their work, be it 1 wedding or 100.

Everything being equal or close to equal, I would make personality the deciding factor. Remember you are going to spend a large portion of the day with them and if you don't get along or more importantly feel at ease with them it will show in the pictures no matter how good they are. I have on a couple of occasions refered potential clients to other photographers because during our meetings I didn't feel that we would mesh, even with them wanting me to shoot the event. Maybe its just me and the way I photograph but I much prefer a connection to the people I shoot.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    aim&shoot wrote:
    Yes, I am well aware... I know it will cost, but I would rather spend a little less on something else that will be gone and forgotten, than have picture's that are going to tell the story forever..

I know I am being picky, but we are not having a traditional wedding, I am wearing a 19th century dress and just doing thing's you would not normally see at a wedding... And I want to make sure it is all captured, the way it's suppose to be.

I have come across a few that would be ok, and their prices weren't so bad, but I want more than ok, I want to be blown away...

You know when you go hospital's sometime's they have intern's look at you rather than the Doctor's, even though I am all about helping the intern's so they can learn I want that Dr. in there just to make sure they are doing it right...

So I really wouldn't mind a photographer that is learning because I am still learning a lot myself, and I welcome anyone who could use it as an experience. But I would still want that Dr. there...

I mean am I being to tough or mean, I'm really trying not to be.. We are pretty much open minded about almost everything... All we want is to look at someone't portfolio and say WOW those are the kind of picture's we want taken at our wedding.

You know what I mean?

Well don't sale yourself to short for very long... The way you capture other's show's in your shot's and anyone would be lucky to have you as a photographer, as far as I can see!!!

I'm sure your client's would be able to tell an amatuer just with a camera vs some of the shot's you show.

Thanks for the compliments, however, there is a lot of talent out there and it is very easy to price yourself out of work. I only like to use available light though I do have all the flash goodies available.

The website that was referred earlier in the post is clearly traditional in style and you should take that into consideration when choosing your photographer. Do you want traditional or photo journalistic? Either one is great, but you need to find out.

Don't worry about being tough! Its your day and you should be as "tough" as you want!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    I looked at the site that was suggested here and their work is very good. Especially for the prices listed. Just remember that in order to get a wedding that looks like that you will have to give the photographer adequate time and settings. Most weddings are rushed and many photographers do not get the opportunity to show what they can really do. Be sure to ask who will actually be shooting the wedding and be sure to look at their work. Many studios have more than one shooter and sometimes hire fillins when they over book. Web sites can be truly deceptive but it can work both ways. You can be looking at the one shot that just turned out right but that won't make them a good photographer. On the other hand they might not have the time, knowledge or desire to deal with a website. That does'nt mean they are'nt good at what they do. You will have to set a price range in order to narrow down the field a bit. Be sure to look at after the fact cost. A 1500.00 wedding may not look so good later if the prints cost a fortune. Get the details and and talk to a couple of their recent clients. If they are truely good they won't mind giving you refrences.

Definately, I am keeping my options open to everyone.. Not just if they have a website or not.. And even if they have a sight and I like what I see, I still want to meet with them to get a feel for them and see their other work or whomever would actually shoot the event....

Thanks for the input, I am making a big list of things to ask, with everyone's help....

I really appreciate it...

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Just my $.02, and thats about all its worth. I would not make experience as a "Wedding" photographer the end all be all of the decision process. You need to remember that at some point everyone had to shoot their first wedding. Could you imagine not hiring Shay, Lynn, or Scott when they had only a few weddings under their belts, you'd have been a fool. To me talent is evidnet in their work, be it 1 wedding or 100.

Everything being equal or close to equal, I would make personality the deciding factor. Remember you are going to spend a large portion of the day with them and if you don't get along or more importantly feel at ease with them it will show in the pictures no matter how good they are. I have on a couple of occasions refered potential clients to other photographers because during our meetings I didn't feel that we would mesh, even with them wanting me to shoot the event. Maybe its just me and the way I photograph but I much prefer a connection to the people I shoot.

Yea, I am trying to be open minded, I know everyone started somewhere at some point...

The one's I have come across, I usually don't take into consideration how much experience they have, well ok maybe a little bit... But their work say's it all. If I walk into a studio or your house and I see nothing but great work picture after picture, than who's to say they are not a great photographer even if they only have a year of experience...

I agree that one's photograph's will tell you how well they capture the moment / story...

And if you don't click with that photographer that's not good...

I hope while I am on my hunt that if a photographer really doesn't click with me he/she would tell me and not just do it because of the money...

That is very honest of you to do that with your client's.

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash