High-Key SP...yeah

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited February 5, 2009 in People
I've made some attempts at High Key shots before for the DSS #18, but all with no avail. After some research and reading on the forums I decided to try again. Here's what I got. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's the best of the bunch. Any CC welcomed and appreciated. I need it. I really wanna be able to do these photos. *Click photo for info*

467810934_GpZXg-L.jpg

As I was trying to shoot this, the only way I could get the results I was looking for was with long shutter speeds. I have limited lighting 580EXII and dining room light over head. How do people get these shots of little kids and such? I can't seem to get it with any type of fast shutter speed.

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    [QUOTE=Candid
    As I was trying to shoot this, the only way I could get the results I was looking for was with long shutter speeds. I have limited lighting 580EXII and dining room light over head. How do people get these shots of little kids and such? I can't seem to get it with any type of fast shutter speed.[/QUOTE]
    With lighting appropriate to the task. I love the work the DIY photographers do (wish I had the patience for for), but sometimes having the right tools for the job is required to actually get the job accomplsihed.

With a couple of strobes it's quite easy to get what you have above and get it with shutter speeds of 1/100 or faster. In studio, with strobes, I shoot at between 1/200 and 1/250 and usually the latter. I want only the strobes to contribute to the exposure. Set the power of the strobes at something like f/11 or f/16 and set the aperture on the camera to f/8 or f/5.6 and fire away - instant over exposure!