whats lens to buy

Pro-Edge PhotographyPro-Edge Photography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited February 9, 2009 in Cameras
:dunno Hello I do a lot of diffent types of photography but recently I've been doing more and more band pics. The scenery is usually very dim with little to no light and smoke filled rooms. The people I'm trying to capture images of are usualy moving all around very quickly so lowering my shutter speed below 200 to gain more light is out of the question. I need a lens that will give me a very sharp picture with alot of detail. I also do alot of portrait shots in my studio so a lens I could use both for portrait and band work would be great. I know using a lens with a smaller F stop below a 3 will help but I'm just not sure where to start. Any advise would help

PS. Im only looking for canon equipment

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 5, 2009
    Hi Pro, welcome to DGrin.

I've moved your post into the Cameras forum - for discussion. The flea market is specifically for buying and selling. If you get the advice you're looking for here, come on back to the market with a WTB: "specific lens"

And in answer to your question, it's really no mystery: FAST glass makes all the difference. Save up for good lenses and you'll have them for a long time. Any one of Canon's L lenses will fit your bill (maybe not your wallet though :D).

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    The Canon L lenses are great. If you don't have the budget for them look at the following:
    Tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sigma 18-50 2.8
    Tamron 70-200 2.8
    Sigma 70-200 2.8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Would primes work for your band shots? I know they would work for portraits.
    The 50mm F/1.8 is very inexpensive (<$100) and more than a stop faster than the 2.8s. On a crop body it works out to be a very short tele/portrait lens. Many people love this "nifty fifty." The 50mm f/1.4 is even faster and costs in the low $300 range. DPreview has a review of the 1.8 MkII with comparisons to the 1.4.

Good hunting,
    Jim
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Don't know your budget, but ... consider a series of primes:
    • EF 50 f/1.4
    • EF 85 f1.8
    • Sigma 30 f/1.4
    Between the wider aperture and a decent ISO, you should be able to maintain a shutter speed above 1/200.

You might be hard pressed to do the same with a zoom as the fastest zoom I'm aware of is f/2.8.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Need an IS or VR lens to enjoy additional 2-3 f-stops. The 70-200 F2.8 L IS allows me to push the shutter as low as 1/5 sec with handheld. Combine with f2.8, ISO 800, handheld at 1/5 sec, I manage to take this photo about 20 meters away under the dim stage light of night safari. It is not ideal photo, but just to demonstrate something is do-able.

More dim night stage performance picture can be found at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/sets/72157604310437843/
    and http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/sets/72157607147289488/
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    it's a kinkajou!

anyway, i have a 50mm f1.4 and it is my favorite lens for portraiture. as others have mentioned, getting down to 1.4 or 1.8 is probably your best bet for low-light exposures.

the thing with a fixed-length lens, though, is that you'll have to move around more in order to set your composition since you aren't able to zoom in and out, so that might be something to consider.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Go with a 1.8 or 1.4 prime. IS is helpful if you want some creative motion type shots, but IS does not freeze the action. If you want to stop the motion and get the highest shutterspeed, a 1.8 or 1.4 prime is the way to go.