Right Click Protection not working???

kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited February 5, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've had my pro level smugmug site for a few months now, and I always make sure to right click protect my galleries, add a watermark, and only show medium to large resolution photos as the max.

I always thought I was safe from the 'right-clickers'. However, I sent through smugmug-email a picture to a friend, and she said she was able to click on it and set it as her wallpaper. (YIKES!!!) :scratch So... I went back and double checked all my settings, and made sure everything was correct, and I asked her to try it again a few days later. She said she was even able to save it to her computer!!! :huh

Has anyone else had this problem? Does it have anything to do with the email I sent through my site, or am I missing something? My site is www.kdspencer.smugmug.com. I'm nervous about putting pictures up for clients to view and buy if they can save them to their computers so easily.

Thanks for your help!!
Kathleen
www.kdspencer.com

Comments

• Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    kdspencer wrote:
    I've had my pro level smugmug site for a few months now, and I always make sure to right click protect my galleries, add a watermark, and only show medium to large resolution photos as the max.

I always thought I was safe from the 'right-clickers'. However, I sent through smugmug-email a picture to a friend, and she said she was able to click on it and set it as her wallpaper. (YIKES!!!) headscratch.gif So... I went back and double checked all my settings, and made sure everything was correct, and I asked her to try it again a few days later. She said she was even able to save it to her computer!!! eek7.gif

Has anyone else had this problem? Does it have anything to do with the email I sent through my site, or am I missing something? My site is www.kdspencer.smugmug.com. I'm nervous about putting pictures up for clients to view and buy if they can save them to their computers so easily.

Thanks for your help!!

I believe that the right click protection only works on your site. As soon as you email or post the image to a message board/blog/other website it's fair game for the right clickers.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Hi,once you put the photo off of your site, it's no longer protected by RCP. More here:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2008/07/04/right-click-protection-and-image-security/
  • kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Thanks Kyle and Andy. I didn't realize that about RCP, but it makes sense now that you've explained it. rolleyes1.gif

~Kathleen
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    kdspencer wrote:

I always thought I was safe from the 'right-clickers'. However, I sent through smugmug-email a picture to a friend, and she said she was able to click on it and set it as her wallpaper. (YIKES!!!) headscratch.gif So... I went back and double checked all my settings, and made sure everything was correct, and I asked her to try it again a few days later. She said she was even able to save it to her computer!!! eek7.gif

Thanks for your help!!
    You can always get the image URL and paste it into a address bar, hit enter, and it brings you to the photo where you can right click save as it.

However, the watermark is still there.