Video on 5d M2

lakewebdlakewebd Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited February 5, 2009 in Cameras
Hi All,

I'm trying to make a equipment buying decision, and would love feed back from people who actually have used the 5d M2 for video.

Here's what I shoot.
Mostly equestrian photography at horse shows. Video or Photo the riders choose. In the past I used a Sony VX2100 mini DV ( great low light camrea).
This fall I sold my 5D and Sony VX2100 to buy the5D M2 then changed my mind as I downloaded the owners manual online and it said it will not AF Zoom.

I will be either buying or renting video cameras to bring me back to Pro quality. I found a place near by that rents Sony VX2100's but I have been thinking about buying a 5D M2 and finding a work around for the Zooming issues. The other option is the new Sony FX1000 which is HD and SD with great low light abilities.

Anyone who has seriously used the 5D M2 and found a work around for keeping image quality when shifting focal distance to follow your subject please share it with me. If it can't be done, I'd like to hear that too.

Also, I read keeping the camera in live view for long periods of time can overheat the camera. Anyone had that experience?

Thanks,

Comments

• CallyaoutCallyaout Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2009
    lakewebd wrote:
    Hi All,

I'm trying to make a equipment buying decision, and would love feed back from people who actually have used the 5d M2 for video.

Here's what I shoot.
    Mostly equestrian photography at horse shows. Video or Photo the riders choose. In the past I used a Sony VX2100 mini DV ( great low light camrea).
    This fall I sold my 5D and Sony VX2100 to buy the5D M2 then changed my mind as I downloaded the owners manual online and it said it will not AF Zoom.

I will be either buying or renting video cameras to bring me back to Pro quality. I found a place near by that rents Sony VX2100's but I have been thinking about buying a 5D M2 and finding a work around for the Zooming issues. The other option is the new Sony FX1000 which is HD and SD with great low light abilities.

Anyone who has seriously used the 5D M2 and found a work around for keeping image quality when shifting focal distance to follow your subject please share it with me. If it can't be done, I'd like to hear that too.

Also, I read keeping the camera in live view for long periods of time can overheat the camera. Anyone had that experience?

Thanks,

I haven't heard of the camera overheating from the live view, but the video quality is okay, decent. Focusing stinks though. I have to focus and then not zoom in at all for the duration of the clip I'm shooting, it's really odd.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 5, 2009
    Callyaout wrote:
    I haven't heard of the camera overheating from the live view, but the video quality is okay, decent. Focusing stinks though. I have to focus and then not zoom in at all for the duration of the clip I'm shooting, it's really odd.

Callyaout, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lakewebdlakewebd Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Callyaout wrote:

The ability to keep focus sharp while my rider moves around the arena has been my concern. I think in wedding video it's not so much an issue.

I read something somewhere about using the AF On button to lock focus. Wondering if that works.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 5, 2009
    The Sony VX2100 was, and still is, a great 3 chip SD camcorder (as was the VX2000 before it). The Canon 5D MKII is a still camera with "some" HD video capabilities. The 5D MKII can do some short form video applications but, since it's not really designed to be a video camera, it has some serious limitations compared to many true video camcorders. The focus section and the exposure sections are not designed for many video applications.

I suggest that trying to do your type of equestrian event video would be a lesson in frustration. On the other hand the 5D MKII is a great dSLR and a good upgrade from your 5D.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 5, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Sony VX2100 was, and still is, a great 3 chip SD camcorder (as was the VX2000 before it). The Canon 5D MKII is a still camera with "some" HD video capabilities. The 5D MKII can do some short form video applications but, since it's not really designed to be a video camera, it has some serious limitations compared to many true video camcorders. The focus section and the exposure sections are not designed for many video applications.

I suggest that trying to do your type of equestrian event video would be a lesson in frustration. On the other hand the 5D MKII is a great dSLR and a good upgrade from your 5D.

Ziggy,
    I have the 50D now, sold my 5D & Sony VX2100 to buy a 5dM2 then read the owners manual about the lack of AF ability. Thank you for giving me feed back, it doesn't sound like the 5D M2 would be a good sport camera for me.
    Because the cable is going digital, I'm thinking it would be best to invest in a HD camcorder. Bottom line, it depends how much $$$ I have when I decide to buy. If I have the money, I'll get the Sony FX1000 which is HD and SD with a 1.5 lux ability. The reviews on it are great but it's $3K everywhere I look.
    edited February 5, 2009
    lakewebd wrote:
    I read something somewhere about using the AF On button to lock focus. Wondering if that works.

I heard that too, but honestly I haven't tried it. And honestly, I've only played with the video a couple of times. It's a nice feature, but honestly I love the way this thing takes pics first and foremost. :D
    edited February 5, 2009
    Callyaout wrote:
    I heard that too, but honestly I haven't tried it. And honestly, I've only played with the video a couple of times. It's a nice feature, but honestly I love the way this thing takes pics first and foremost. :D

I've looked at all the pictures posted from the 5D M2 and want one, the 6400 ISO shots are amazing but the 1D M3 does a great job at 6400 too.
    A large portion on my income during the summer is from video so I'm in a hard spot. I still have a Panasonic GS300 3 chip Mini DV that takes great video but not up to par with the Sony VX2100 for low light or Pro appearance.

So many people have camcorders now, I almost have to have a Pro looking camcorder to be competitive.
  • Tao ZeroTao Zero Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    5D MII Video
    Here is a video shot with the 5D M2. He used all L glass so that makes a big difference too. Watch the making of if you get a chance. The video is STRAIGHT out of the camera!! Just edited together.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326
    edited February 5, 2009
    WOW!! That's looks soooo much better than my dinky videos. I'll stick to just shootin' with the 5D. :D
    edited February 5, 2009
    Thanks for posting the link, it was that video that made me sell my equipment to buy the 5D M2. However, if you study the video, you'll notice that the camera does not zoom in or out. For the shots when he's driving, the camera was mounting on the car, I saw a video of how they made it.

There is no doubt it will change wedding services forever, they now are selling Fusion as a new service combining both video and photos for weddings. Unfortunately for me, I follow a moving subject around a space 20m x 60m, it requires that the lens zoom in and out and retain constant focus.