off brand battery???

sparky675sparky675 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 6, 2009 in Cameras
I am shooting a Canon 40 d.. going on vacation and was going to pick up a spare battery or two. Ebay has a lot of them , are they safe and are they any good? Or do you stick with name brand? any help.. :dunno

Comments

• TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Can't speak to eBay, but I've bought off brand for my Canon from Sterlingtek. Have had no problems at all, and there are many favorable reviews all over the internet.
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    I have bought several batteries off ebay. No problem after two years. Paid about 18.00 plus shipping for 20D.
    Bob
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    I've bought 5 or so batteries from Sterlingtek. I've found that some don't hold charge as well as the Canon's after a while. But the price is so much less, it's still financially worth it. Since this is for vacation and not for work, I think getting a second battery from a third party online may be a good idea.

I also like Diamondback batteries. They get the batteries from the same factory as Sterlingtek and often has cheaper shipping as well. In fact it was started by the former CEO of sterlingtek.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    +1 for Sterlingtek - I've bought quite a number of them over the last couple of years and have been quite happy with them. I think I have either 4 or 6 of them I use in rotation - I like to show up at gigs with about 6 extra batteries - I NEVER want to tell a client I can't continue to work his event because of battery failur! With these, I put a couple of them in the BatteryGrip at the start of the day and I don't worry about them - ever.