Cost of Nikon repair of cracked LCD?

f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited February 7, 2009 in Cameras
Any one have experience with Nikon repair center? I cracked the LCD on my D80, though the screen still functions. :cry

Is there a minimum cost?

Any idea what replacing and LCD will be?

Just wondering if anyone's had recent experience. Since everything still seems to work, maybe I should just live with it and keep the body as a backup and get another D80 or D90.
TIA
--

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 6, 2009
    f-rider wrote:
    Any one have experience with Nikon repair center? I cracked the LCD on my D80, though the screen still functions. :cry

Is there a minimum cost?

Any idea what replacing and LCD will be?

Just wondering if anyone's had recent experience. Since everything still seems to work, maybe I should just live with it and keep the body as a backup and get another D80 or D90.
    TIA
    --

I wonder if you just cracked the clear cover over the LCD?

That would probably be much more reasonable to replace than the LCD itself.

I believe that Nikon will give you an estimate before they start the repair.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Unfortunately, the clear cover is not the only thing that cracked. Those are about $10. What cracked is the LCD though it still works, strangely enough. The crack is in the upper left of the LCD, very noticeably there and goes through the outer clear plastic of the LCD screen. It seems to be fine otherwise, as it was not a long drop but hit something that caused the cheap cover to break and then crack into the LCD.

I'm just trying to get a guess, since it will cost a few bucks to send it in and send it back and if it is relatively expensive, I'll just start looking on Ebay.
  • f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    The urge to buy a new lens is greater than the urge to fix. Just wondering if it will deplete the lens account !!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 7, 2009
    If you want an accurate answer you really need to send the camera in to Nikon. If you want a guess I would say somewhere in the region of $150-$250USD.

Replacing the LCD is not a trivial task as the camera needs to be partially dismantled (based on my own experience with camera construction but no experience with recent Nikon cameras). There could also be additional hidden damage to be discovered inside.

If there is any warranty remaining, as I think there should be, the repair really needs to be performed by Nikon authorized repair.

My recommendation is to send the camera to a Nikon authorized repair station with a clear letter indicating that you need a clear indication of cost estimates before repair. Review the following link for an authorized repair facility near you and give them a call:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums